The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 160
I do most my benching kind of close grip and then just work chest on dips and incline dumbbell. Would prefer to train consistently without injuries.
I'm stronger tucked with a shoulder width grip than I am any wider. Mainly because that is the only barbell grip I can train without suffering pain.
Reply 162
I've never had any shoulder pain from benching. I was quite surprised when I realized it was a common thing.
Original post by GQ.
I've never had any shoulder pain from benching. I was quite surprised when I realized it was a common thing.

Depends what you're benching namsayin'?

It's also just pure luck in some cases. Some people go years and years doing bodybuilding bench style and they get no rotator cuff issues. Get some other guy doing near perfect form, shoulders back blah blah and they get ****ed up.
The bar is more under control and flops around less at the bottom because his upper back is tighter.

They look the same but the point is about pulling the bar so one is pulling and the other isn't.

So you don't just let the bar fall to your chest but you want to pull it like a row.
Reply 167
Reply 168
Beched 145 and not a single shoulder issue. Feelsgoodman.
Reply 169
Never had shoulder issues from benching either.. not a huge bencher though, 120x1 is my 1rm.
Original post by RocknRap

Only 2 posts on TSR and already you're making a significant contribution. Good on you man.
Reply 171
Original post by Khanage
Never had shoulder issues from benching either.. not a huge bencher though, 120x1 is my 1rm.

> Says he's not a huge bencher
> Benches 120kg

82kg here at 75kg bodyweight
feelsbadman.jpeg

Original post by Chumbaniya
Only 2 posts on TSR and already you're making a significant contribution. Good on you man.

Cheers brah, appreciate it (not srs)
Original post by Michael XYZ
I tried looking for that but it's monolift brah. Plus, doesn't look buried to me.

It's walked out of a monolift? Done 3 times too all just to make sure anal judges give 3 whites. Kirk is a monster but his best equipped squat is only 5kg higher than Malanichev's best raw squat.

Here's one of the 450s done in the gym. [video="youtube;4CYRMpGlB5E"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CYRMpGlB5E&feature=channel[/video]

450 was attempted twice not three times. My bad.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 173
> Says he's not a huge bencher
> Benches 120kg

82kg here at 75kg bodyweight
feelsbadman.jpeg

Cheers brah, appreciate it (not srs)

You aware?
Original post by alex_tait
Kirk is a monster but his best equipped squat is only 5kg higher than Malanichev's best raw squat.

Technically, yes.

In reality, he doubled 1000 so it's not exactly the same.

Plus bear in mind single-ply of that era is nothing like single-ply today.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 175
Not a big bench. 1RM atm is 100kg. Maybe that's why lol
Reply 176
Original post by u4m1r
You aware?

Yarp.

On a slightly unrelated note - why is this thread JUST for men? Why the segregation?
Reply 177
i bench with a really wide grip, index finger on rings.... but i think i may be stronger with a closer grip.

gym has amateur strongman comp in july or power lifting not sure, gonna enter to have some kinda of goal.

yeah man smack was right about 5/3/1 gained 6lbs bw in 5 weeks and ain't got stronger feelsbadman. dunno wether to cut my losses or switch back to ss untill i stall for a last time then properly run texas method or madcow.
Original post by The Blind Monk

So, err, yes... I google'd Ed Coan shirtless pictures and none came up.

Why are you lying to me?! :frown:

On a slightly unrelated note - why is this thread JUST for men? Why the segregation?

From my post above you may gather as to why that is. :wink:

Original post by Gallium
i bench with a really wide grip, index finger on rings.... but i think i may be stronger with a closer grip.

gym has amateur strongman comp in july or power lifting not sure, gonna enter to have some kinda of goal.

yeah man smack was right about 5/3/1 gained 6lbs bw in 5 weeks and ain't got stronger feelsbadman. dunno wether to cut my losses or switch back to ss untill i stall for a last time then properly run texas method or madcow.

If you think you are stronger with a closer grip then it would be very stupid to not do it. Because, ****, it's safer and you're stronger. Most of us are weaker at it but do it because we want safety. Don't be stupid...

Also, 5/3/1 works. There may be something wrong with you. Don't mean that in a bad way but I'd look at other factors before deciding 5/3/1 is the reason.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 179
Original post by Michael XYZ
So, err, yes... I google'd Ed Coan shirtless pictures and none came up.

Why are you lying to me?! :frown:

From my post above you may gather as to why that is. :wink:

If you think you are stronger with a closer grip then it would be very stupid to not do it. Because, ****, it's safer and you're stronger. Most of us are weaker at it but do it because we want safety. Don't be stupid...

Also, 5/3/1 works. There may be something wrong with you. Don't mean that in a bad way but I'd look at other factors before deciding 5/3/1 is the reason.

I only bench with a wider grip because i was advised too, i think it's a matter of getting used to it.

i dunno maybe i was pushing the assistance work too hard, but heck i gained 6lbs slept enough and stuff...... i got stronger slightly on my bench weaker in pressing( went from 60x6 to 60x3) deadlift and squat stayed pretty much around the same... i was really motivated before i started the program i went out shopping and bought a ****-load of food to make sure i had no excuses for the first month.

Edit: maybe 5/3/1 gave me too much freedom to **** things up lol, o well i guess you live and learn
(edited 12 years ago)

Latest