Turn on thread page Beta

Dry Skin watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by katie lou)
    I find people like you that sit on forums and argue, highly sad and a waste of time. This is meant to be a place where people help each other out and answer questions. My answer to the question of dry skin wasn't nasty and wasn't a waste of time as it was my oppinion. So maybe i was wrong and she doesn't have psoriasis? I tried to help. I am not going to start a fight with somebody on a forum as it is boring and pointless.
    Erm. I'd rather explain the potential casues (as I did) and suggest seeking medical help (which I did) rather than being totally wrong, and making a diagnosis, which you are not qualified to make, on nothing more than two posts proclaiming 'I have dry skin' and 'Oh it's gone hard'...

You're not helping. You are hindering, and that is even worse. So, my dear, it's people like you who make sweeping comments based on absolutely nothing who are a sad waste of time...

Now what I would like to see [well I wouldn't, but it highlights the potentially damaging effects of chatting *******s] is this poor sod of an original poster getting very worked up about having psoriasis to the point of compromising her state of mind, going to the GP to be told she has a bit of 'wind chaffing' and coming after you...

ReputationRep:
    The aggression that some people posses worries me. Know wonder this world is so full of hate... I do apologise xxShockw4v3xx if my post worried you in anyway, i was simply trying to help. I didn't intend to cause you any worry.

ReputationRep:
    The aggression that some people posses worries me. Know wonder this world is so full of hate... I do apologise xxShockw4v3xx if my post worried you in anyway, i was simply trying to help. I didn't intend to cause you any worry.
    I'm not the one being aggressive Or potentially damaging. But it's good that you have appologised to the OP...

It's no wonder the world is so full of litigation...

ReputationRep:
    I doubt xxShockw4v3xx would take legal proceedings over me making a comment on a forum . I bet your one of those people who take life oh so seriously Fluffy.

ReputationRep:
    I doubt xxShockw4v3xx would take legal proceedings over me making a comment on a forum . I bet your one of those people who take life oh so seriously Fluffy.
    Not at all, but I also try not to give advice that I'm not qualified to make, with out stating so first and suggesting real avenues to try...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fluffy)
    You shouldn't use hydrocortisone cream on your face, and certainly never anywhere near your eyes.

To the OP - go and see your GP. It could be anything from eczema to psoriasis to contact dermatitis from make up and other face products to nothing more than a transient area of irritation.

When you know what you're dealing with, keeping it under control is much easier.

That aside, having psoriasis and having tried nearly every moisturiser known to man (both perscription and non), I really recomment Nivea Soft or Lush Dream Cream.

HtH

fxxx
    Isn't this giving wrong advice though fluffy? I know you are a med student, but your saying you shouldn't use hydrocortisone on your face, but you can, it just shouldn't be prolonged use.

ReputationRep:
    Isn't this giving wrong advice though fluffy? I know you are a med student, but your saying you shouldn't use hydrocortisone on your face, but you can, it just shouldn't be prolonged use.
    No dermatologist worth their salt would suggest using hydrocortisone on your face. Even when my scalp and face was covered, and I mean totally covered [about 4 years ago], I was categorically told never to do it.

The one time my GP suggested I used it on my face [about 12 months ago] and to ask for it OTC as it's cheaper than a prescription, the pharmacist went seriously nuts when I gave her an honest answer to "where are you planning on applying this". Seriously nuts. And refused to sell it to me. And that was only for weak 1% stuff.

So again, please don't say you can use a steroid on your face, it's very poor practice!

As far as I know this is because the skin on your face is much thinner and aborbs far more into your blood stream than any other part of the body, except the orbits (around the eyes). Because it is so thin, there's less to thin, so while you can rub hydrocortisone into your hands for decades with out effect, the effect on your face develops much, much quicker. You'll thin the skin, end up with bruising and you can get telangiectasias on your face (permanent enlargement of blood vessels), which are often more unslightly than the dry skin that was there originally.

ReputationRep:
    No i don't use it, my friend was prescribed a weak hydrocortisone cream by her qualified doctor for a short while for exzema she had on her face that was really bad, but i will tell her her doctor must be wrong.

ReputationRep:
    No dermatologist worth their salt would suggest using hydrocortisone on your face. Even when my scalp and face was covered, and I mean totally covered [about 4 years ago], I was categorically told never to do it.

The one time my GP suggested I used it on my face [about 12 months ago] and to ask for it OTC as it's cheaper than a prescription, the pharmacist went seriously nuts when I gave her an honest answer to "where are you planning on applying this". Seriously nuts. And refused to sell it to me. And that was only for weak 1% stuff.

So again, please don't say you can use a steroid on your face, it's very poor practice!

As far as I know this is because the skin on your face is much thinner and aborbs far more into your blood stream than any other part of the body, except the orbits (around the eyes). Because it is so thin, there's less to thin, so while you can rub hydrocortisone into your hands for decades with out effect, the effect on your face develops much, much quicker. You'll thin the skin, end up with bruising and you can get telangiectasias on your face (permanent enlargement of blood vessels), which are often more unslightly than the dry skin that was there originally.
    bugger. i always use hydrocortisone on my face. having read this post, im definately going to stop that and just use vaseline

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alison_141288)
    bugger. i always use hydrocortisone on my face. having read this post, im definately going to stop that and just use vaseline
    EEK! I didn't mean to stress anyone out! But it's probably best you don't put it on your face.

I just had a google round to make sure I could back this up with fact rather than a decade of heresay, and found this:

http://www.nhsdirect.nhs.uk/chq.asp?...&Articleid=868

What's your problem? And actual condition or 'just' dry skin? Because I really can not recommend this product: http://www.lush.co.uk/index.php?main...roducts_id=231 enough. It was my GP who told me about it, as several of his other patients with derma problems had been singing its praises.

ReputationRep:
    EEK! I didn't mean to stress anyone out! But it's probably best you don't put it on your face.

I just had a google round to make sure I could back this up with fact rather than a decade of heresay, and found this:

http://www.nhsdirect.nhs.uk/chq.asp?...&Articleid=868

What's your problem? And actual condition or 'just' dry skin? Because I really can not recommend this product: http://www.lush.co.uk/index.php?main...roducts_id=231 enough. It was my GP who told me about it, as several of his other patients with derma problems had been singing its praises.
    what should i do about the excema on my face though. i dont always get it but it flares up sometimes. im just using 1% hydrocortisone but i still dont want to risk using it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alison_141288)
    what should i do about the excema on my face though. i dont always get it but it flares up sometimes. im just using 1% hydrocortisone but i still dont want to risk using it
    Do you see your doctor about it? i.e. has it actually been diagnosed as eczema? If not, I'd pop to see yuor GP when you have a change.

There are plenty of non-steroidal options that might work. There is a kind of hydrocortisone you can get especially for your face too, but if it's not severe I doubt that this would be offered to you. My dermatologist wouldn't, even when I didn't have a single area of psoriasis-free skin anywhere on my face...

ReputationRep:
    Oooh, I might give that a try.

If it's just dry skin caused by the weather at the moment, than Avon's Cold Weather Cream is really good. My skin is awful right now, because I've spent the last 5 afternoons outside in sub-zero temperatures with wind and snow blowing in my face.

I definitely agree about not diagnosing psoriasis from just a few lines on here - from the OP it could be any of the conditions you described, or just dry winter-exposed skin!

ReputationRep:
    Do you see your doctor about it? i.e. has it actually been diagnosed as eczema? If not, I'd pop to see yuor GP when you have a change.

There are plenty of non-steroidal options that might work. There is a kind of hydrocortisone you can get especially for your face too, but if it's not severe I doubt that this would be offered to you. My dermatologist wouldn't, even when I didn't have a single area of psoriasis-free skin anywhere on my face...
    well i use to have really bad eczema on my legs and everyone in my family has eczema so when i started getting a sort of rash on my face, my dad said straight away 'thats eczema' and also, it clears up within a couple of hours when i put hydrocortisone on it. however, its only very mild eczema and disappears within the day if i just leave it so i'll probably just put savlon on it or something

ReputationRep:
    Moisturize EVERY DAY when you come out the bath/shower in the morning. I use Johnsons baby oil still :P

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 6, 2006
Poll
Are you chained to your phone?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.