Street Racing Watch

T-Rex
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
What do you lot think about it. I think its prity kewl.

know any spots in UK?

Discuss.............
pghstochaj
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
There's only one place for any sort of motor racing; on a track.
xavier2k3
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
mod police, you know what to do!

regards
--marty
Navajo
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by xavier2k3)
mod police, you know what to do!

regards
--marty
Oh for god sake, don't delete this thread. I think we can just talk about it, can't we??

yes, I have been to street racing events and my mate takes part in them. Its a good laugh.

Just have a look on forums for the area you live in, usually you can find a good spot in the UK.
snmichaels
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I used to do a lot of street racing back in the states. Some organised, some spur-of-the-moment sort of thing. I know bad things can happen, but luckily in the 3 years I went street racing, I never witnessed anything serious.

I did get busted by the cops pretty badly when I was 16.

I agree, the track is a better place. It's just that it is two completely different experiences to be honest. There is a lot more adrenaline and thrill in street racing. Running from the cops is actually fun (if you don't get caught).

For fun, I checked out the main Houston street racing site, Rankin Road using Google Earth. You can actually see the tyre marks on the street at the make-shift starting line.
Né Stig
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by snmichaels)
For fun, I checked out the main Houston street racing site, Rankin Road using Google Earth. You can actually see the tyre marks on the street at the make-shift starting line.
Brill!!! I must check that out now that keyhole has adapted to Macintosh.
snmichaels
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I'll give you the coordinates of our spots. The image is amazing, I'll show our dragstrip as well.

I hear the UK street racing is pretty grim anyway. Mostly little slowass small hatchbacks.
.Andrew.
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Not a massive fan of doing street racing, but i don't mind watching it.

Only Spots i know round here (sussex, Hampshire): Brighton seafront, Southsea (portsmouth).. Thats all i know of. Not amazing street racing there, as the cops are hot on it down here now due to the amounts of deaths/injuries it causes down in brighton and surrounding areas. (usually like modded up novas, clios and the occasional Jap etc..)
xavier2k3
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by snmichaels)
I'll give you the coordinates of our spots. The image is amazing, I'll show our dragstrip as well.

I hear the UK street racing is pretty grim anyway. Mostly little slowass small hatchbacks.
because they leave it to the track; the way it should be.

regards
--marty
Né Stig
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by xavier2k3)
because they leave it to the track; the way it should be.

regards
--marty
Street racing left to the track??? Bit of a contradiction that :laugh:

I can't say i've ever been to a street race in the UK. I wouldn't mind going to one, but it's not the sort of thing I'd go looking for. If I bumped into one, I might participate. But like you said snmichaels, I might get slaughtered by a Nova running on NOS Really don't want something like that happening.

I would rather see the proper big guns going at it than small little hatchbacks.
snmichaels
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
In Houston, it's not uncommon to see trailered cars being brought out to a street race. It gets pretty crazy. They bring out propane tanks and torches to clean up the starting line and heat it up for traction. It's quite a sight to see wheelies out on the streets.
Rock 'n' Roll
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
A few of my mates go about thrasing their car like mad with the engine revving and tyres screeching and racing each other.

It scares the cr*p when I'm in the car when they're driving and often tell them to slow down, but boys being boys they don't listen and think it's fun to drive in a dangerous manner.
xavier2k3
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by walshie)
Street racing left to the track??? Bit of a contradiction that :laugh:
not really. there are street races in f1 and the cart series in america. which have a designated track on a street. makes perfectly logical sense to me...

regards
--marty
snmichaels
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Yeah, we do that. It's just not official or licensed
OMGWTF
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Execpt in America, you either have fast cars that are actually fast, which are probably more safe at high speeds than an 80's hatchback doing a dual carrigeway race
chaoringmeister
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Street racing in the UK is done by Essex boys in modded hatchbacks. The only proper street races are like the Gumball Rally, but you need a proper fast car, and a lot of money to pay fines you get from the French police.

Otherwise street racing is dumb and pointless, why would you want to race on the open road anyway? You can't really drive properly on the open roads coz of the other cars, its a danger to yourself and others, you get run in by the cops and basically has no point. If you really are a speed freak do some track (closed road) racing which is more skillful than the road as a track is designed for racing to make the most of the car. You also won't get screwed over and there are the correct safety equipment at a track.
bennyboyhanning
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
They are not all sh*ty hatchbacks in my area! When i was walkin my dog the other night i came back to the car park to find it illuminated by neons, there was everything from porches to ferraris ready to race! I dont agree with it, but seeing so many nice cars in one place was imense
snmichaels
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
The only real type of racing you can do on the street is drag racing. And one would have to be really stupid to do so on busy roads with other cars, side roads and blind corners or any bends at all for that matter.

Where we used to race, it was very very wide, at least 2 wide lanes. Completely straight and no side roads that unsuspecting motorists could come out of. Plus, we did most racing after midnight so there weren't many cars out anyway. This is the organised street racing I'm talking about.

The spur of the moment racing is random stoplight action. You're waiting at a red-light, and a someone rolls up and revs a little. You both give knowing looks and wait for the green. In the US, the lights go from RED to GREEN with no AMBER in between. The cross traffic light would've been RED for a while before yours turns GREEN.

I can't get my damn google earth to connect. When I do, I'll show you guys where used to race in Houston, and you'll know what I'm talking about.
The Canadian
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I've been to a few small street race meets, more accurately, drag races along 1/4 mile in a car park for a shopping complex or along the road round the car park for a mall near where I used to live. Used to do a bit of "high speed cruising" round town whilst at school and that was a laugh, but other than that I don't know of anything really.

Oh, and yeah, running from the police is a blast, especially if you know the route before hand!! Jump over walls onto garage roofs, great fun
OMGWTF
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
i came back to the car park to find it illuminated by neons
A car with neons is not a remotely serious race car
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you like exams?

Yes (178)
18.74%
No (573)
60.32%
Not really bothered about them (199)
20.95%

Watched Threads