Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I was helping out with some school kids at uni today. I'm 19, in my second year, and they were y10s from a background that has a low number of applicants to university.

It was funny to see the way they act, the way they think. For example they asked me whether the toilets at uni were shut at lunchtime :rofl:... they couldn't imagine the independence.

By the end of the afternoon though, I asked how many would consider applying to my uni, and most put their hand up...

It got me thinking though... what were your life ambitions at 14/15? What A-levels and degree subjects/ unis did you have your eye on?

How did it turn out in the end, how has life in fact panned out in those x many number of years?

For me I had no idea what I wanted to do at that age, I was scared of the real world. I had ideas that maybe I would do something that involved maths, as it was what I was good at, but I really didn't know. I didn't think I would ever cope at uni, or even be clever enough to go... yet here I am (doing physics as it happens). Academically things have panned out beyond my wildest dreams. Funny how things seemed through the eyes of a child though.

so... opinions/ anecdotes? :confused:

The same as I am doing now, but it included a German A Level which I cant do because my college doesnt offer it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kirstinx)
    The same as I am doing now, but it included a German A Level which I cant do because my college doesnt offer it
    Well you are 16... things won't have changed much...

to rephrase the Q if you are close to 14/15 what are your dreams and ambitions... I'll drag this thread up in a few years and see if you were right

ReputationRep:
    I must admit I had been pretty much set on uni from the beginning. Didn't have any idea as to what I wanted to do there though, or really any idea what it was all about.

ReputationRep:
    I wanted to be a vet until my nana told me i'd never succeed! I was devastated. Silly old hag. Now i'm doing a french and management degree at university next year...slight difference :p: But i'd much rather go and manage Dior than cut up animals now

ReputationRep:
    when i was 14/15 i wanted to be a marine biologist and work with all the fishes and seas and stuff, but this time next year I'll have just started a 3 year psychology degree followed by a post grad MSc in forensic psychology :rolleyes: funny how things change
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    I wanted to go to uni in London (I'm from America)... and, here I am.

ReputationRep:
    I wanted to be a journalist!

ReputationRep:
    when i was 14/15, i didn't really have an idea as to what I would do at uni, but I knew it would be somewhere in the field of biology/zoology as i liked animals/organisms a lot (hmm...similar to fluff's), then at 16, one of my close relatives passed away and it got me thinking that I wanted to do medicine and I was all up for it, worked my arse out.

then applied to med schools followed by all rejections. Frustrated, didn't know what to do at that moment cos i was thinking 'ive worked so hard to get up to this position and i cant do med, why should i keep working then?" Then depressed, my family was worried about me. Now im happily doing pharmacy

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .[s)
    fluff[/s].]when i was 14/15 i wanted to be a marine biologist and work with all the fishes and seas and stuff, but this time next year I'll have just started a 3 year psychology degree followed by a post grad MSc in forensic psychology :rolleyes: funny how things change
    Why did it change?

(Original post by Gio)
    when i was 14/15, i didn't really have an idea as to what I would do at uni, but I knew it would be somewhere in the field of biology/zoology as i liked animals/organisms a lot (hmm...similar to fluff's), then at 16, one of my close relatives passed away and it got me thinking that I wanted to do medicine and I was all up for it, worked my arse out.

then applied to med schools followed by all rejections. Frustrated, didn't know what to do at that moment cos i was thinking 'ive worked so hard to get up to this position and i cant do med, why should i keep working then?" Then depressed, my family was worried about me. Now im happily doing pharmacy
    I'm glad you have managed to do what you wanted :hugs: And its admirable you should want to do medicine for that reason .

ReputationRep:
    I've only 16, things haven't really changed. Since I was about 13 I've known I wanted to do Graphics. I still want to.

ReputationRep:
    Originally Posted by .:fluff:.
    when i was 14/15 i wanted to be a marine biologist and work with all the fishes and seas and stuff, but this time next year I'll have just started a 3 year psychology degree followed by a post grad MSc in forensic psychology funny how things change

Why did it change?
    In all honesty i have no idea. Possibly because when i was 14/15 I hadn't really been able to study psychology to get a good feeling for it, and i think I'd be better at helping humans than animals...

ReputationRep:
    To be smart...

that's gone down the drain LOL

ReputationRep:
    I'd like to do Maths or Physics at Cambridge but I will see how the GCSE's etc. go before I start saying that but right now that is what I want. Once I'm done with that I will become an astronaut then James Bond and finally I will be the King of England.

ReputationRep:
    To be rich. I didn't know how I would get there, still don't know. I'm working on it...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by F1 fanatic)

For me I had no idea what I wanted to do at that age, I was scared of the real world. I had ideas that maybe I would do something that involved maths, as it was what I was good at, but I really didn't know. I didn't think I would ever cope at uni, or even be clever enough to go... yet here I am (doing physics as it happens). Academically things have panned out beyond my wildest dreams. Funny how things seemed through the eyes of a child though.
    :
    I was in the same position as you at 14/15.
    i had no idea what i wanted to do at sixth from let alone at uni or in a future career...maybe that has something to do with the fact our school doesn't give us much help in this area...or maybe because at 14/15, i had no idea of the options available to me....
    but i think the biggest reason i didnt know what i wanted to do was because i had no awareness of my own abilities...i kind of underestimated myself ...so i thought i would stick to what i thought i had always been could at even before school...art.
    then i realised i couldn’t take art any further....i had always loved drawing, and always had the ability, so taking it on to higher education seemed like i wouldnt be getting any where.
    So in year 11 i felt so confused because i'd always assumed that was going to be my carer path, but i had suddenly realised the limitations of art and saw that there was more possibilities for me in other areas....trouble was i didnt know which i would succeed in.
    like art, i always REALLY loved the sciences, so i chose Chem n Bio for sixthform, along with History because i got told i would get my best mark in this, and i also chose product design, so that i could still do a bit of art.All of these subjects i was predicted good grades at GCSE and thats why i took them...i avoided any that i thought i wouldnt do well in...so thats why i took a weird combo

I still had no idea what i wanted to do as a career and i got really worried because i thought everyone else knew. in the end they have all changed their mind so many times during sixtform. but when i started AS it all fell into place and i knew exactly what i wanted to do (biochemistry)...it was like someone had turned on a light....and the option seemed so obvious. i now know i want to go into a career in research, particularly medical...but if you had asked me this when i was 15 i wouldn't have had a clue!

As for uni i thought i would only be able to get into our local one (which happens to be 2nd from bottom in the league tables ) ...but i thought that was all i was capable of....turns out i was wrong about that too
    :p:

*sorry, that was a bit long...im bored...should go to bed really*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chocolatecheese)
    I was in the same position as you at 14/15.
    i had no idea what i wanted to do at sixth from let alone at uni or in a future career...maybe that has something to do with the fact our school doesn't give us much help in this area...or maybe because at 14/15, i had no idea of the options available to me....
    but i think the biggest reason i didnt know what i wanted to do was because i had no awareness of my own abilities...i kind of underestimated myself ...so i thought i would stick to what i thought i had always been could at even before school...art.
    then i realised i couldn’t take art any further....i had always loved drawing, and always had the ability, so taking it on to higher education seemed like i wouldnt be getting any where.
    So in year 11 i felt so confused because i'd always assumed that was going to be my carer path, but i had suddenly realised the limitations of art and saw that there was more possibilities for me in other areas....trouble was i didnt know which i would succeed in.
    like art, i always REALLY loved the sciences, so i chose Chem n Bio for sixthform, along with History because i got told i would get my best mark in this, and i also chose product design, so that i could still do a bit of art.All of these subjects i was predicted good grades at GCSE and thats why i took them...i avoided any that i thought i wouldnt do well in...so thats why i took a weird combo

I still had no idea what i wanted to do as a career and i got really worried because i thought everyone else knew. in the end they have all changed their mind so many times during sixtform. but when i started AS it all fell into place and i knew exactly what i wanted to do (biochemistry)...it was like someone had turned on a light....and the option seemed so obvious. i now know i want to go into a career in research, particularly medical...but if you had asked me this when i was 15 i wouldn't have had a clue!

As for uni i thought i would only be able to get into our local one (which happens to be 2nd from bottom in the league tables ) ...but i thought that was all i was capable of....turns out i was wrong about that too
    :p:

*sorry, that was a bit long...im bored...should go to bed really*
    That's really great that you are doing biochemistry, I heard that it's really a difficult course. From your signature, I have the slightest idea that you are at Cambridge:confused:

ReputationRep:
    I'm only 18, so the things I had planned out are only just unfolding, but when I was that age, I was intending to study in the USA for my degree, then hopefully get a job working out there.

It was in Computing still, so my A Levels would have been similar, even if I hadn't researched specific subjects.
    I was quite a boring, down to earth kid actually, I've wanted to do CS for quite a while, and that seems to be how it's panning out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gio)
    That's really great that you are doing biochemistry, I heard that it's really a difficult course. From your signature, I have the slightest idea that you are at Cambridge:confused:
    Well usually the difficult ones are the most rewarding (well thats what im hoping )
    Its Jesus at Oxford i will hopefully be going to (as long as i get the grades:s: )

ReputationRep:
    at 14 i wanted to do Law. i made the same options but i have ended up doing lit. i am also much happier than i thought i would be when i was 14.

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.