Did i take a bad option? Watch

Anurag100
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
GCSE double Business Studies; Is this a bad option?

Its just so damn easy but it was the only "finance" typish course my shi* school offered. I mean i could do it in a month...but our stupid teacher just has to drag it on for years..Now i wish i should have done it in my free time at home. All i got is regret

I really want to do economics and considering my other GCSEs are mostly A*s or As....Would i be able to get into a well reputated London unis such as LSE, UCL, KCL?:confused:

I really do not know...i regreat taking this subject..My other options are not really academic also; Art, Geography.

I really do regret taking them..:tumble:

Man.. i go to a rubbish school alright. Universities go on about potential being the key, well what about times when the school would not be able to facilitate that; it offers crap courses which no unis want.

And by the way i am in my final year so it cannt do anything on this!

well i guess i blowed my life..
stratomaster
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Universities won't really judge you on the subjects you took for GCSE to be honest.
digitalparadox
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Well what is done is done and nothing can be done now. So the best thing is just to do the best with what you have already got and universities should understand that some schools are relatively crap when compared to others.
Anurag100
Rep:
?
(Original post by digitalparadox)
Well what is done is done and nothing can be done now. So the best thing is just to do the best with what you have already got and universities should understand that some schools are relatively crap when compared to others.
thats a good one that!:rolleyes:
Anurag100
Rep:
?
what if i get like all of them as A*s and then they would not notice!!(cunning plan)

eh??
Excalibur
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Don't quote me, but universities really are not obsessed with GCSE subjects. They may be looking for good grades, yes, but I don't think they'd really care about which subjects they were in if the grade was good enough. It's your A levels that really matter, because you can only take 4-5 and if you choose wrongly, it could throw off your whole career plan. But not GCSEs.

I agree that you are disadvantaged if you go to a crappy school - my school has approximately 60% A*-C pass rate, which may sound OK but it really is full of chavs who disrupt the lessons. My Spanish lessons, for example, are a joke and we spend about 50 minutes on the starter each week :rolleyes: However, I have heard that universities do take your school into account, and if there were two identical candidates with similar grades etc, they may look more favourably on the one that went to a crappy school, than the one that went to an independant one.
Anurag100
Rep:
?
Excalibur...i am exactly like you..I go to a chav school!!!

Imagine what my Business studies class would be like....another reason as to why i detest the subject..

I don't know from somewhere you get this sense of determination in yourself to do well which comprehends what school you go or what people you work with..

The internet is primarily my only source of communicating with the Intelligentsia and therefore learning their ways!

Ok so in my results if i get 8A* and 6As.,without telling them in what subjects i got them in, would seem good ENOUGH??
Anurag100
Rep:
?
Also i am the best in my school..does that put me in an advantage? (i got the year award last year)

Sorry if that sounds arrogant but i aint be bothered to go through the process of not coming out sounding it.
Excalibur
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Well, do you think that 8A*s and 6As are not good enough? :rolleyes: Honestly, not everyone gets gazillion A*s, and if you did get those grades that's good enough for anywhere. Grades aren't the only thing that are taken into consideration anyway; there are many candidates with a string of A*s and As at A level who gets rejected by the very top universities.

I don't know, being best might put you at an advantage, but where would you write that down? If you write it in your PS, that does make you sound slightly arrogant. I suppose you can put down that you got an award, or else hope that you get a glowing reference...
sim90
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
change school.....
kellywood_5
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
At GCSE the grades are pretty much all universities are interested in, not the subjects. In any case, taking a couple of non-traditional subjects most probably wouldn't affect your application. It's at A-level that subject choice matters.
Anurag100
Rep:
?
(Original post by kellywood_5)
At GCSE the grades are pretty much all universities are interested in, not the subjects. In any case, taking a couple of non-traditional subjects most probably wouldn't affect your application. It's at A-level that subject choice matters.
thanks that helped me!:yy: and you are much older than me so you would know what you are talking about.
Anurag100
Rep:
?
(Original post by sim90)
change school.....
year 11..exams in may
~the_one~
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
CALM DOWN. come on, with me now: breath.

Better?

Universities will not really care what subjects you do at GCSE, what they (only slightly) care about is your actually grades. The only subject there interested in is Maths, which you have to pass.
Oh and you can't not tell them which subjects you took at gcse, you have to.
My school had a 30% pass rate, so being top of the year isnt going to be that impressive.

Sorry to burst your bubble but loads of students get 10 A*'s GCSE's and that still doesnt guarantee you a place any where. Similarly students with only a few A's at GCSE's had have gone to good universitys.
brown
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
the_one is right - I think you need to calm down. Yes it would be good if you came out with 10 A* in very academic, traditional subjects. However, universities place far more value and interest on your A-levels. This is where the choice of subjects is important! So please stop worrying!!!
FireDeuce
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
You are worring over nothing seriously.

Why do people get so stupid over gces?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (153)
27.42%
No (405)
72.58%

Watched Threads