Driving license - 2 parts Watch

discombobulation
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
Ok so I've lost the paper bit of my license.
I haven't learnt to drive yet and I'm having my first lesson in a week and the instructor said to bring both parts of license.
Problem being I only have one part at the moment as I'm sending off for a replacement of my paper bit.
Should I ring the guy in advance to explain or wait til the day?
Also, I haven't ordered my paper bit again yet - is it possible to telephone the DVLA and get a replacement, I can't work out the website!
lovelee-jublee
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
First up, ring the DVLA and ask if they can replace the paper counterpart. Then once you know what the situation is, ie. how long you'll have to wait for it to arrive, ring up your instructor and explain to him/her. I'm sure it won't be a problem, but best to ring in advance rather than leaving it until the day, just in case!
discombobulation
Rep:
?
Thanks!

I haven't a clue about any of this, I don't even remember seeing the paper thing!
lovelee-jublee
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Hehe, don't worry about it. I did it the other way round and lost my photocard! So I rung them up to get a new one and had to pay for a replacement but then I found it! I rung them back up to tell them and they refunded me my money, so they're quite good. I don't think you have to pay for a replacement of the paper though.
Kingspharm
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Whichever bit you lose, you have to pay for a replacement of it! It used to be the case that if you only lost one bit and had the other bit left, then you had to apply by post for a replacement? But if you lost both bits (ahem) then you can order a replacement by phone? - Is that still the case lil lee or did you manage to order a replacement card by phone?
lovelee-jublee
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I rung up and I'm sure they sent me a new one...I don't think I had to post anything off... she just said if I find the one I lost then shred it and keep the new one.

I think if you ring up anyways, you'll be able to find out!
discombobulation
Rep:
?
Isn't it a bit silly if you lose one bit you have to post but two bits you can phone???
Confusing really!
lovelee-jublee
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
From the DVLA...

Driving Licence Has Been Lost, Stolen or Destroyed / Defaced

Photocard licence holders
If your photocard and paper counterpart have been lost, stolen or destroyed and provided none of the details on your licence have changed or are incorrect, you can apply for a duplicate licence by telephone using a credit or debit card. DVLA accepts Visa, Eurocard, Mastercard, Solo, Electron and Maestro. To use this service ring 0870 240 0009 between

Monday to Friday 08.00 - 20.30
Saturday 08.00 - 17.30
OR

You can complete driving licence application form D1 (previously D750) and enclose the appropriate fee. If your name has changed since your last licence was issued you will need to complete application form D1 (previously D750), enclose the appropriate fee and provide original documentation confirming your new name. There is no requirement to supply a new photograph. This form is available through our form ordering service or from most Post Office® branches. Send your completed application and fee to DVLA, Swansea, SA99 1AB.

Note: If either your photocard driving licence or your paper counterpart has been lost stolen or destroyed/defaced you must apply for a duplicate driving licence using form D1 (previously D750) and return the remaining part with your application. If your licence is defaced you must return it with your application

Paper licence held

If your paper driving licence has been lost, stolen or destroyed/defaced, you must complete application form D1 (previously D750) available through our form ordering service or from most Post Office® branches, and enclose the appropriate fee. You must also enclose original documentation confirming your identity (for a full list of acceptable identity documents please click here) and a passport-type size colour photograph taken against a plain light background (for photograph criteria please click here). Send your completed application and fee to DVLA, Swansea, SA99 1AB or you may be able to use the Post Office® Checking Service.

Note: If your paper licence is defaced you must return it with your application for a duplicate licence.

IF YOU FIND YOUR LICENCE AFTER REQUESTING A DUPLICATE YOU SHOULD RETURN THE ORIGINAL LICENCE TO THE AGENCY WITH AN EXPLANATORY LETTER.
ninman
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I don't remember ever showing either of my driving instructors my license.
discombobulation
Rep:
?
Should I ring 'em and say I've lost both to speed the process up?
lovelee-jublee
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I'd ring them anyway...they'll probably make a lot more sense than the internet!
discombobulation
Rep:
?
Yeah that internet thing still seems silly to me...but oooh well
Kingspharm
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Bethy)
Should I ring 'em and say I've lost both to speed the process up?
That's what people do to ahem speed it up ahem...

Can't say I would recommend that course of action though. ahem

The reason you have to do it by post if you only lose one of the bits is so that you return the bit that you have left.
discombobulation
Rep:
?
Right...whats wrong with saying you've lost both though???
lovelee-jublee
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
^^ Because you HAVEN'T lost both!!!!!
discombobulation
Rep:
?
But they don't know that??? I don't mind paying extra etc??? I just need it ASAP and haven't got time to mess about posting things/getting passport photos etc.
ninman
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
ask them, they know more about it than most of the people here I'd say.
discombobulation
Rep:
?
Yeah I suppose that's the sensible thing to do! Thanks!
discombobulation
Rep:
?
I just told him on the phone I'd lost it all and he's sending a new one out tomorrow...problem solved...as long as it comes before my first lesson next wednesday

nervous!!!
ninman
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Honestly, I was never onced asked by a driving instructor to show them my driving license. Sounds like he's a bit pedantic about the whole thing. If you've still got the photo card part just show him that.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1623)
79.13%
Leave (428)
20.87%

Watched Threads