What you hate most about oxbridge Watch

sTe\/o
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Drogue)
That is strongly optional though. Some people do no vac work at all, others loads. Depends how important your college sees collections, and how much work you want to do.
OK, you don't have to do holiday work, but if you want a chance of a First in a heavy subject it's pretty much compulsory. I wouldn't generalise and say it's true of every subject, but it's probably true of many. I personally have never paid much attention to formative assessments, which afaik is basically what collections are, but I know that if you don't try to catch up in the holidays then you just fall further and further behind until, come exam term, you're completely screwed and you know you don't have time to cover everything. That's enough of a motivator for me!

As you say, though, everyone's different. In fact, half the people who say they didn't do any work over the hols are probably telling the truth. :rolleyes:
coldfish
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I'm going to have to work a lot over Easter if I'm going to have any chance of getting what I want in my exams. I've only been going at "keeping up" pace all the way so far, and need to go back and actually -learn- what I've been studying. :/
FadeToBlackout
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
:ditto: exactly! I've not exactly been keeping up with everything either and so need to go back and catch up. Then I need to revise for prelims (collections for any Oxen out there! ) which will be greatly fun...
sebbie
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
From what I've heard of Oxbridge, the thing I hate most would be having to apply to a particular college as opposed to the university as a whole.... Surely there are some students that pick the wrong college and would have otherwise have gained entry....
Popa Dom
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by sebbie)
From what I've heard of Oxbridge, the thing I hate most would be having to apply to a particular college as opposed to the university as a whole.... Surely there are some students that pick the wrong college and would have otherwise have gained entry....
Well if that were true then that means an equal number of people who didnt deserve to get in got in, so it could work to your advantage (not saying you're not good enough, just that if what you said is true, in some cases college choice will make it easier to get in)
sTe\/o
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Popa Dom)
Well if that were true then that means an equal number of people who didnt deserve to get in got in, so it could work to your advantage (not saying you're not good enough, just that if what you said is true, in some cases college choice will make it easier to get in)
I don't think it's true. At least, they try quite hard to make sure it isn't.
Popa Dom
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by sTe\/o)
I don't think it's true. At least, they try quite hard to make sure it isn't.
Yeah, neither do I particularly, its just sebbie said that the thing he liked least was that people who should have got in didnt cos of college choice, but if that were the case then people who didnt deserve to get in did, so it wouldnt necessarily disadvantage you.
CamSPSer
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
They don't let people in who aren't good enough, thats what the pooling system is for
chocolatecheese
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
not a student yet, but i would say the worst thing i can think of is the stereotypical view held by some people, of what an oxford student is...
Popa Dom
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by chocolatecheese)
not a student yet, but i would say the worst thing i can think of is the stereotypical view held by some people, of what an oxford student is...
Linked to that, the worst thing for me so far is the number of times I've had to have "the Oxbridge Myth" dispelled. I wasnt even aware of the Oxbride myth before I had it dispelled (probably about 6 times over the course of the last year), and certainly noone I know ever felt worried about applying cos of their state background, or even believed these supposed stereotypes. Ugh, am just bitter at having wasted so much time being bored out of my skull for nothing (along with all the talks about the advantage of the turorial system...)
bluefuture
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Everybody ****s off the Oxford Stereotype, but that is what gives it its character. If nobody was from public school and everybody was just a 'normal' person it would quickly lose its attraction as the place with which 'effortless superiority' fills the air.

Also,the stereotype has its advantages.
People assume you are a complete genius or an old money, upper class sophisticate. It could be worse. Parents spend 22k per year on public school eductations for their children to exude this persona, you will get it for free.
And just think how it impressive it sounds when you meet your girlfriends parent's for the first time!
Profesh
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by bluefuture)
Everybody ****s off the Oxford Stereotype, but that is what gives it its character. If nobody was from public school and everybody was just a 'normal' person it would quickly lose its attraction as the place with which 'effortless superiority' fills the air.

People assume you are a complete genius or an old money, upper class sophisticate. It could be worse. Parents spend 22k per year on public school eductations for their children to exude this persona, you will get it for free.
And just think how it impressive it sounds when you meet your girlfriends parent's for the first time!
Whereas I already so exude said 'persona' that my peers regard me with a mixture of scorn, derision and abject pity whenever I am called upon to disabuse them of the notion that I even applied; which is often.
MatthewH
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago

Some assumptions here:

a) that 'effortless superiority' does indeed fill the air in Oxford, rather than being a comfortable fiction

b) that any sense of effortless superiority stems from people being public school, as opposed to being clever enough to enter Oxford. I've never regarded public school people (and though not being one I know a fair few from a number of different schools) as particularly 'superior'. In fact, I regularly marvel at how little value for money their parents are getting. If I'd applied to Oxford simply to be near mythical public school heroes I think I'd be a little disappointed and a little bit sad.
CamSPSer
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago

What are you on? There is no effortless superiority filling the air and nine out of ten times you can't even tell whether someone is from a public school or not. I also don't know what the advantages in life are of being thought of as old money. If people are stupid enough to assume that then I probably don't want to spend that much time with them.

The type of person here isn't all that different from many other top universities. I suggest you get a dose of reality before you get here, otherwise its going to hit you pretty hard
Spunky
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I don't hate anything :p: ! I love Oxford and though there are a few tweaks that could be done (longer terms for example) I'm finding it near-perfect .
CamSPSer
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Casey)
I don't hate anything :p: ! I love Oxford and though there are a few tweaks that could be done (longer terms for example) I'm finding it near-perfect .
Nooo to longer terms, another two weeks and i would probably die of exhaustion. I know people say things would be spread out more but they wouldnt, it would be just as intense but for longer
Spunky
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Profesh)
Whereas I already so exude said 'persona' that my peers regard me with a mixture of scorn, derision and abject pity whenever I am called upon to disabuse them of the notion that I even applied; which is often.
Did you not get in ? Or did you choose to go to Bristol?
Spunky
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by notyourpunk)
Nooo to longer terms, another two weeks and i would probably die of exhaustion. I know people say things would be spread out more but they wouldnt, it would be just as intense but for longer
I don't care if it stays as intense :p: , I love the whole Oxford bubble and it just doesn't last long enough!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Thu, 13 Dec '18
  • University of Buckingham
    Open Evening Undergraduate
    Thu, 13 Dec '18
  • University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (34)
26.77%
No (93)
73.23%

Watched Threads