The Student Room Group

RAF Nursing

Hi :smile:
I was wondering if any of you had any more information about nursing within the RAF, I have the basics from the internet and I'm going to the careers office next week, however I'm looking for more personal information I.e do you enjoy it etc etc, any tips, any information at all would be brilliant!

Thank you for your time x

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
If you do a search on here you'll find a few threads about RAF Nursing from various points of view, they should help you out.
Reply 2
I do. I've been one for 15 years. What would you like to know? I do still enjoy it, even after 5 tours, 2 oversea's postings, numerous other postings (peterborough, portsmouth, birmingham). It gets a bit tough rationalising it all with a family life. Its the courses and pre-det training that really adds up to time away, often just before you actually go away for extended periods of time, on operational tours!
Reply 3
Original post by RAF_Nurse!
I do. I've been one for 15 years. What would you like to know? I do still enjoy it, even after 5 tours, 2 oversea's postings, numerous other postings (peterborough, portsmouth, birmingham). It gets a bit tough rationalising it all with a family life. Its the courses and pre-det training that really adds up to time away, often just before you actually go away for extended periods of time, on operational tours!

How difficult is the basic training? I mean... for a small girl, who doesn't do MASSIVE amounts of exercise?
Original post by Jodie9570
How difficult is the basic training? I mean... for a small girl, who doesn't do MASSIVE amounts of exercise?

It is the same for everyone. Do more exercise and that will be a big help. If you don't want to do more exercise, do you want to join - really?
Reply 5

May I ask, did you do the student nurse route or join as a nurse and are you an officer?
I'd like to go into the RAF after university but I've heard some people think I should join as a student nurse and others think I should become a nursing officer after gaining 2 years experience, whereas I just wanted to join as an adult nurse with no commission?

Thank you for your opinion on your career, it is something that I would truly love to do.
Reply 6
Slightly off topic but still relevant:

I'm quite far through the application process as a medical officer. From what I've experienced so far and through affiliated experience of the RAF, I would say its something (if you are certain and if you think you'll enjoy it) you should definitely go for.

Just make sure you have the ambition and willpower and you'll do fine. In terms of fitness they advise you have a basic level of fitness, s that you'll not struggle during basic raining. But the more fitness you do now, the easier it'll be in the future!:smile:
Reply 7
Original post by LaEstrella
May I ask, did you do the student nurse route or join as a nurse and are you an officer?
I'd like to go into the RAF after university but I've heard some people think I should join as a student nurse and others think I should become a nursing officer after gaining 2 years experience, whereas I just wanted to join as an adult nurse with no commission?

Thank you for your opinion on your career, it is something that I would truly love to do.

If I were to go back into the armed forces doing nursing I would join as a student nurse. You are much better supported financially as a military student, there's no worrying about money as much as there is when you're trying to survive on a bursary. The whole officer v non commissioned thing is a load of rubbish, if you were to qualify as a military student and made the right impressions two years post qualifying you could still potentially apply for a commission and with that you would also have a wealth of military experience compared to someone who has come in off the street as a civvy nurse after a commission. Also if anything as an officer you would probably be more bogged down with paperwork and admin compared to an NCO nurse (just a guess here, RAF nurse can correct me if I'm mistaken though I doubt it).

In the end its up to you and what you want career wise and what you want from your university experience, as understandably being a military student at uni you are subjected to a hell of a lot more discipline than your civilian counterparts.
Reply 8
Original post by JordWard
Slightly off topic but still relevant:

I'm quite far through the application process as a medical officer. From what I've experienced so far and through affiliated experience of the RAF, I would say its something (if you are certain and if you think you'll enjoy it) you should definitely go for.

Just make sure you have the ambition and willpower and you'll do fine. In terms of fitness they advise you have a basic level of fitness, s that you'll not struggle during basic raining. But the more fitness you do now, the easier it'll be in the future!:smile:

Thank you for your input! That sounds fantastic :smile: Good luck in the future x
Reply 9
Original post by moonkatt
If I were to go back into the armed forces doing nursing I would join as a student nurse. You are much better supported financially as a military student, there's no worrying about money as much as there is when you're trying to survive on a bursary. The whole officer v non commissioned thing is a load of rubbish, if you were to qualify as a military student and made the right impressions two years post qualifying you could still potentially apply for a commission and with that you would also have a wealth of military experience compared to someone who has come in off the street as a civvy nurse after a commission. Also if anything as an officer you would probably be more bogged down with paperwork and admin compared to an NCO nurse (just a guess here, RAF nurse can correct me if I'm mistaken though I doubt it).

In the end its up to you and what you want career wise and what you want from your university experience, as understandably being a military student at uni you are subjected to a hell of a lot more discipline than your civilian counterparts.

Thank you very much for replying it's helped a lot
Original post by Jodie9570

Hmmm. If you know you don't do lots....get on with doing more! The fitter you are the easier it will be.
Original post by LaEstrella

Joined as a student, 12-13 years in ranks, now Commissioned. Do whatever feels right, but I thought at the time 'Its better to be paid more for doing the same thing'?!

Its not that easy to Commission- especially from the ranks- as the numbers are against you, I believe, given that we do not recruit very many at the moment across the board. Good luck with your decision.
Original post by moonkatt

Not neccessarily, and especially not at first. By Commissioning you the RAF are stating that they believe you have good potential to be a leader and have shown some development in this field whilst at Cranwell (you meet the standard). They are not suggesting you are now an equal with Stephen Dalton in terms of leadership abilities! You will have certain 'pressures' applied on you and that is only fair, but for your first post or so you are unlikely to be in an OC job.
Reply 13
hi, I also hope to apply as an adult nurse after finishing uni in August 2012. I'm attending a information session in June but wondered if anyone would be able to provide me with more info on the application process, how long it takes, what it involves, the interview etc? I visited my local recruitment office and they were not able to give me any more info as said I would get it at the presentation. I'm really keen to find out more about it, i know i need to have an up to date knowldege on the raf and a good level of fitness but any other tips would be greatly appreciated, thanks very much.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 14
I'm currently considering joining the RAF as a student nurse and would appreciate a little first hand information from currently serving nurses. I have had a look at previous posts and searched generally on the internet but was wondering how being a military nurse differs to being a civilian nurse in the MDHUs.

More specifically though, I am currently working in a hospital and have become frustrated with the attitude some of my colleagues have to work. Probably the best way of describing their behaviour is to say they are "slackers". They complain about working hard, avoid doing routine, boring or messy tasks and spend a lot of the time bitching about the management, their colleagues or the patients. Is this the case for staff in most wards in most hospital and most work places or are MDHUs and military medical facilities somewhat different?

I would think that the military would have less people with this attitude (though probably some) and the system would weed out those showing these characteristics. Please correct me if you think I am mistaken.

From what I understand, though the MDHUs have military wings and military personnel, most of the staff would be civilians. My question is, from first hand experience working in an MDHU or other establishment with a larger percentage of civilians than military personnel, do you find that the general attitude and work ethic is more positive than my experience in a fully civilian environment?

Further to this, I am wondering if I am going to be better off as a military nurse compared to staying in the civilian world? Do the opportunities and other parts of military life (like overseas postings, operations out of area, adventure training, sports, camaraderie and opportunities for professional development) make it worth joining up even if working in a MDHU is almost exactly the same for a military nurse as for as a civilian nurse?
Reply 15
Original post by ana_jam

I would think that the military would have less people with this attitude (though probably some) and the system would weed out those showing these characteristics. Please correct me if you think I am mistaken.

From what I understand, though the MDHUs have military wings and military personnel, most of the staff would be civilians. My question is, from first hand experience working in an MDHU or other establishment with a larger percentage of civilians than military personnel, do you find that the general attitude and work ethic is more positive than my experience in a fully civilian environment?

While i cannot comment on interpersonal relationships with civilian staff, the time I spent in Bastion hosp. out in afghan was fairly good (I was a patient so was hardly funtimes), and the civilian staff were incredibly professional, and left me with a good impression.

Every single one I met had a genuine concern for the patients, and there was little room for complacency as they often are caring for some pretty damaged people, and there was a large turnaround of patients.
Original post by ana_jam
I'm currently considering joining the RAF as a student nurse and would appreciate a little first hand information from currently serving nurses. I have had a look at previous posts and searched generally on the internet but was wondering how being a military nurse differs to being a civilian nurse in the MDHUs.

More specifically though, I am currently working in a hospital and have become frustrated with the attitude some of my colleagues have to work. Probably the best way of describing their behaviour is to say they are "slackers". They complain about working hard, avoid doing routine, boring or messy tasks and spend a lot of the time bitching about the management, their colleagues or the patients. Is this the case for staff in most wards in most hospital and most work places or are MDHUs and military medical facilities somewhat different?

Further to this, I am wondering if I am going to be better off as a military nurse compared to staying in the civilian world? Do the opportunities and other parts of military life (like overseas postings, operations out of area, adventure training, sports, camaraderie and opportunities for professional development) make it worth joining up even if working in a MDHU is almost exactly the same for a military nurse as for as a civilian nurse?

Definately. We are naturally a more motivated workforce as we elected to join the RAF either having already trained or to train. We want to live in tents away from our families for months at a time, laying on the floor as rockets explode nearby. We get a buzz out of it. I can tell you that you will earn more as a Mil nurse, travel more, have better access to training/funding, and all the other things you mentioned. You won't be affected by the 'when we had RAF hospitals' mindset because you will never have experienced it! Good luck!
Original post by brady20
hi, I also hope to apply as an adult nurse after finishing uni in August 2012. I'm attending a information session in June but wondered if anyone would be able to provide me with more info on the application process, how long it takes, what it involves, the interview etc? I visited my local recruitment office and they were not able to give me any more info as said I would get it at the presentation. I'm really keen to find out more about it, i know i need to have an up to date knowldege on the raf and a good level of fitness but any other tips would be greatly appreciated, thanks very much.

Did you apply?
Good luck!

They haven't been on the site for nearly 5 months.
Reply 19
Hi there, I'm currently and ODP in civi street and I'm looking to join the RAF as a student nurse. Just a few questions for any of you. Would my odp training count for anything towards the first year? Like do they allow people to join as a second year? Also what's the competition of getting in as a student nurse like these days?? My heart is set on the raf, I grew up in the forces, parents were both in for 22 years and I know exactly what to expect for me it's just getting in :smile: many thanks!! Megan

Quick Reply

Latest