English language URG Watch

XxJaninexX
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
Im predicted an A but it just isnt happening. In my mock i JUST scraped a B she said just revise and try hard. Could have killed her.

Anyway, how the hell do you revise for english language?
Hobbesian
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I am in the exact same position as you right now, however i am relying on my coursework to help me.
okfaye!
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
How did your speaking go? Maybe it could be possible to to try and improve these? We've been told to look at adverts in magazines etc so we can practice analysing. Also that for higher marks its better to just speak your mind in the exam be critical about everything even the colour of the text and not to hold anything back.
Marmaduke
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
What I did was to revise about twelve grammatical/semantic terms to impress the examiner with my tremendous skill. People laughed but I got an A* at GCSE and I did it last year and got an A at A Level!
Examples of such words are;
Pathetic fallacy
Iambic Pentameter
Exophoric reference
Imagery

Also include phrases such as
The writer employs lingustic techniques such as similes (EXAMPLE), words that appeal to a certain socio-economic group(EXAMPLE) and slang terms (EXAMPLE) to create drama and excitement for the article without seeming dull and objective.
etc. etc.

Marmaduke
xxxx
sugar_cane
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
That is great advice Marmaduke.

I did pretty much the same thing in my mocks and got A*s too!

Try to find unusual things in the text that no-one will comment on, and then talk about them! :p: Not the best of ideas but give an unusual opinion, which shows thinking, do not just state the norm.
Excalibur
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Marmaduke)
What I did was to revise about twelve grammatical/semantic terms to impress the examiner with my tremendous skill. People laughed but I got an A* at GCSE and I did it last year and got an A at A Level!
Examples of such words are;
Pathetic fallacy
Iambic Pentameter
Exophoric reference
Imagery

Also include phrases such as
The writer employs lingustic techniques such as similes (EXAMPLE), words that appeal to a certain socio-economic group(EXAMPLE) and slang terms (EXAMPLE) to create drama and excitement for the article without seeming dull and objective.
etc. etc.

Marmaduke
xxxx
Hey, that does sound impressive :p: Got any more? That's a good idea though, I should try and think of some posh phrases...

Don't worry too much about it. As people doubtlessly have told you, you do improve significantly between now and the summer. What do you think it was that let you down in your mocks? Lack of time & management? Lack of PQE (point, quote, explain)? Just a general lack of sophistication? If you could identify what your problem is, it's easier to achieve a higher grade.

There is no last-minute revision tips for English language, but there are things you could be doing regularly - the most important one is probably to read books. When you read, you subconsciously pick up new (and posh ) words, as well as diverse sentence constructions. So yeah, read lots of books. You could perhaps make a list of different words for "suggests", "said", "and", "however" etc because they're the words that are used most.

Oh, and what my teacher tells us constantly is PQE - point, quote, explain - and CLASP - content, language, audience, style and purpose. If you cover CLASP for everything, and employ PQE for each point, you should be able to improve your marks.

Good luck!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (192)
27.83%
No (498)
72.17%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed