The Student Room Group

Going back to University after dropping out - question about payment years

I did 2 years of a Mathematics degree before I decided to drop out. I'm now going back to a different Uni (UCL) in September for an MSc in CompSci.

It's a four year course, and I've used up 2 years of my Student Finance Entitlement already - so that means I'll only be able to get funding for 2 out of the next 4 years, right? Or will I get funding for 3 years because it will be a 4 year course? I'm struggling to find a definitive answer to this anywhere. Everywhere seems to give a different answer, and direct.gov isn't much help either...

Also, is there any possibility that I can arrange for my remaining years of SF to be paid from the 1st year onwards - instead of from the 4th year backwards (which is how I was told it's normally done)? It would be much better for me to get funding for the 1st/2nd years from Student Finance, and fund the 3rd/4th years myself. But I hear that's not how it works...
Reply 1
You will get 3 years support.

New course length (4) + 1 year - previous study (2) = 3

This will be applied from your last year, first. So maintenance loan only for your first year. You don't get a choice when you get it, I'm afraid.
Reply 2
Wow, that's great news, thanks for replying :smile: I didn't even know that I could still get my maintenance loan in 1st year. I thought you didn't get anything at all...

But, and sorry to be rude, but is there some kind of official documentation/website/etc that would confirm this? Not saying that I don't believe you... but if I just knew for certain that this was the case, then it would be such a relief for me
Reply 3
Have a look at this recent thread: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=36829892&highlight=

I've posted a couple of links there which details the funding.

Unfortunately, SF don't make it easy to read (or even find) their full Ts & Cs, but it is in there if you look hard enough lol

This particular bit of the post I linked may be of interest to you:

As you can see here: http://www.westminster.ac.uk/study/p...evious-studies This uni website breaks down the funding with previous study.

Example

You studied one and a half years on a previous higher education course and then left, or you completed a two-year HND course or overseas equivalent.

The normal funding for your new course would cover four years of study (the standard duration of the course plus one additional year).

However, your previous study years are deducted from this (remember that even if you studied for just one day on a course, it counts as one year of previous study). Two years are therefore deducted from your funding.

So, you will receive just two years of funding, which will cover years two and three of your studies - you will not receive the Fee Loan, Maintenance Grant, Special Support Grant or University Bursary for the first year of your new course. As you will not be eligible for a fee loan for the first year of your course, you will have to pay your own tuition fees.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 4
Excellent, I'll have a read of that... And no, they do *not* make it easy to find their T&Cs :mad:

Oh and thanks for your help btw, I really appreciated it :biggrin: I knew there were still nice people on the internet somewhere :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending