Join TSR now and get all your career questions answeredSign up now

Gap year internship? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi, this UCAS cycle I applied for a course I really had no motivation to study and am planning to re-apply next year.

I am currently thinking of gap year plans, and in addition to some volunteer work abroad, I'd also like to apply for an internship (preferably over a month in duration) at an investment banking firm - both because I'm interested in a career in finance as well as to get an insight into the corporate world.

However, I do have some doubts regarding whether or not I'll actually be able to secure a placement at a reputable firm, seeing as I'll most likely be competing with graduates (?)

Would it even be possible for me to get an internship placement with just GCSEs & A-Levels as qualifications?

GCSE: 9/10 A*
    AS: 4/4 A
    A2: *hopefully* 4A*

For example, would I be able to get any kind of placement at somewhere like Goldman Sachs?

TYVM

ReputationRep:
    No, unless you have a contact inside the firm who can give you a ''head-start''. Applications for internship positions are usually for second/third years. You might as well cold call BBs/boutiques and try (you won't lose anything) but be ready for many rejections.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SonnyZH)
    No, unless you have a contact inside the firm who can give you a ''head-start''. Applications for internship positions are usually for second/third years. You might as well cold call BBs/boutiques and try (you won't lose anything) but be ready for many rejections.
    Really?

The whole reason I'm asking this question is because someone I know has already arranged a paid internship at a bank as an "analyst" - and this person is in an almost identical situation to me, i.e. A-Levels are his highest qualifications.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Newbie123)
    Really?

The whole reason I'm asking this question is because someone I know has already arranged a paid internship at a bank as an "analyst" - and this person is in an almost identical situation to me, i.e. A-Levels are his highest qualifications.
    Call and try your luck. I had friends who interned at RBS and Citi while still at 6 form. Granted I think at least one of them had a contact fairly high up. I doubt you'll get investment banking experience but any experience is better than nothing.

ReputationRep:
    Really?

It's not common to see sixth formers in SA positions but it's definitely worth the try. If it doesn't work out just try cold-calling as many BBs/boutiques as you can; as any exposure you can get to transactions and deal execution in an IB at pre-undergraduate level will be priceless when you apply during college. Trust me.

ReputationRep:
    Hi, this UCAS cycle I applied for a course I really had no motivation to study and am planning to re-apply next year.

I am currently thinking of gap year plans, and in addition to some volunteer work abroad, I'd also like to apply for an internship (preferably over a month in duration) at an investment banking firm - both because I'm interested in a career in finance as well as to get an insight into the corporate world.

However, I do have some doubts regarding whether or not I'll actually be able to secure a placement at a reputable firm, seeing as I'll most likely be competing with graduates (?)

Would it even be possible for me to get an internship placement with just GCSEs & A-Levels as qualifications?

GCSE: 9/10 A*
    AS: 4/4 A
    A2: *hopefully* 4A*

For example, would I be able to get any kind of placement at somewhere like Goldman Sachs?

TYVM
    Check your inbox.

ReputationRep:
    You won't get an internship that lasts for a month when you're not a student of any kind. Spring internships (1-2 weeks) are aimed at 1st/2nd years whilst summer holiday ones are aimed at penultimate.
    You can maybe get some informal work experience if you have a contact.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yothi5)
    You won't get an internship that lasts for a month when you're not a student of any kind. Spring internships (1-2 weeks) are aimed at 1st/2nd years whilst summer holiday ones are aimed at penultimate.
    You can maybe get some informal work experience if you have a contact.
    ... If that's true, then how come this guy I know - with no relevant contacts - has got a 7 month, paid internship at Accenture?

Explain...
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    ... If that's true, then how come this guy I know - with no relevant contacts - has got a 7 month, paid internship at Accenture?

Explain...
    That is an organised gap year scheme that you had to apply for months ago.

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys
    Im just about to finish a paid internship with Procter & Gamble (huge company that own hundreds of billion dollar brands) that was amazing, covering marketing, finance and so much more.
    I know they haven't closed the deadline for next year so check it out on their site pgcareers by searching gap year- so worth the money!

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Awkward bump...

If anyone knows of any gap year schemes in finance, pleaseeeeee tell me, I'm starting to lose hope and have already sent out a desperate application for an internship in Beijing.

ReputationRep:
    Awkward bump...

If anyone knows of any gap year schemes in finance, pleaseeeeee tell me, I'm starting to lose hope and have already sent out a desperate application for an internship in Beijing.
    the only ones i know of are BoE and Rothschild but both were like year long so i didnt bother doing them. there really arent any unless u've got contacts

also i think they closed ages ago

ReputationRep:

Explain...
    goldman sachs > accenture
    investment banking > consulting

Poll
Is GoT overrated?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.