The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by zubz91
in the beginning of time did a chicken come first or the egg?

Chicken (kind of)
http://www.metro.co.uk/news/835020-the-chicken-came-first-not-the-egg-scientists-prove

Dinosaur>egg>Chicken>egg
(edited 12 years ago)

"It’s an age-old puzzle that’s stumped generations of scientists."

Seems like common sense to me, a chicken lays eggs? now I'm wondering how the first chicken came about... It would have been impossible for another chicken to lay an egg for it too form because it's the fist of its kind :confused:
Original post by translucent
"It’s an age-old puzzle that’s stumped generations of scientists."

Seems like common sense to me, a chicken lays eggs? now I'm wondering how the first chicken came about... It would have been impossible for another chicken to lay an egg for it too form because it's the fist of its kind :confused:

Seemingly they came from dinosaurs, so the real question is What came first? The dinosaur or the egg?
Original post by de_monies
Seemingly they came from dinosaurs, so the real question is What came first? The dinosaur or the egg?

So was the chicken a accidental mutation from a dinosaur egg? What do you mean what came first? If the egg came first then, where did that come from? if the dinosaur came first...
So was the chicken a accidental mutation from a dinosaur egg?

Could have been that the little baby dinosaur rebelled, and decided you know what. I want to be a chicken instead :biggrin:

If the egg came first then, where did that come from? if the dinosaur came first...

Indeed. That's the question I posed instead
Original post by de_monies
Could have been that the little baby dinosaur rebelled, and decided you know what. I want to be a chicken instead :biggrin:

Indeed. That's the question I posed instead

Maybe a dinosaur mated with a mammal and BAM! you've got yourself the first farm animal, the glorious chicken. Well life on earth started from water, to plants then living organisms... somewhere in that cycle an egg/chicken was made
Reply 186
O.O
Reply 187
okay... I find that quite strange you believe that, I should have showed of my impressive vocabulary more often.

Original post by Shadowplay
:eyeball:

SHOWN. And I'm not even a native speaker.

OP, where do Spanish people go on holidays?

It's 'showed off' where I'm from honey :wink:

You sure it isn't showed OF, honey?

Nope, I'm correct.

Both 'showed' and 'shown' are correct, as it is in the past participle form, for that matter 'shewn' would also be correct.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Colpejafort
I studied french for 6 years approx but i cant speak it fluently since I stopped learning it like 4 years ago. I'd say among all the romance languages the most similar ones are french and spanish, and maybe even italian, so... of course there will be grammar differences but they're quite similar. I find spanish more useful than french in terms of number of speakers & job opportunities though.

I see. Thanks for answer. I have questions again. Why Brazil has Portugese as official language while all kinds of countries in South America are speaking Spanish?
I'm wonder Brazil is the biggest country there. Is there really not a region in Brazil in which Spanish is speaking? :hmmmm:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 189

yhp thats right chicken/dinosaur came first just like Adam a.s came first
Reply 190
Original post by Denzel Hayes
O.O

dumbfounded?
Original post by Kallisto
I see. Thanks for answer. I have questions again. Why Brazil has Portugese as official language while all kinds of countries in South America are speaking Spanish?
I'm wonder Brazil is the biggest country there. Is there really not a region in Brazil in which Spanish is speaking? :hmmmm:

Colonisation.
Colonisation.

exactly haha

And I dont think theres any region in Brazil where people speak spanish, but its easier for portuguese speakers to understand spanish that it is for spanish speakers to understand portuguese!
Slightly random but is the word 'mendiga' (beggar) in Spanish, really offensive?

Just because someone Mexican told me it was.
Original post by alexsasg
Slightly random but is the word 'mendiga' (beggar) in Spanish, really offensive?

Just because someone Mexican told me it was.

I wouldn't say so, at least in spain where that term is frequently used by the media. It might be more correct to say "sin techo" though
I'm not sure I've ever been at a point in my life where I've thought "now that's a question I really need to ask a Spaniard"...
Colonisation.

I know why Spanish is an official language in South America. But I don't get it, why conquistadores hasn't colonized Brazil. Was there Portuguese conquerors in Brazil before Spanish ones landed in there or why Brazil is speaking Portuguese instead of Spanish?
Well i have a question to ask you all! Whats your general opinion of Spain and Spanish people?
Original post by Kallisto
I know why Spanish is an official language in South America. But I don't get it, why conquistadores hasn't colonized Brazil. Was there Portuguese conquerors in Brazil before Spanish ones landed in there or why Brazil is speaking Portuguese instead of Spanish?

I think its something related to the "Tratado de Tordesillas" where Spain and Portugal divided the territories to be conquered. However the Tratado didn't benefit both sides equally :tongue:
Original post by Colpejafort
I wouldn't say so, at least in spain where that term is frequently used by the media. It might be more correct to say "sin techo" though

Okay, thanks!

P.S. is 'sin techo' better to use than 'sin hogar', or does it really not matter which one is used?

Latest

Trending

Trending