This discussion is closed.
Elements
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by girl afraid)
I demand you to take the michael!

I know I looked like a complete and utter prat, I've accepted it, learnt from it, and now I can laugh at it!
Lol, well I can't say that I like the Goth look or that in my opinion it looks good and I approve of it because that would be lying. But I don't want to be or appear to be mean to you by taking the michael etc.
Sorani
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
The Canadian, your rings are awesome especially the dragon-head one
kitty_koo
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
you dont need to dye your hair, there's a gilr at my school who's a goth and she has blonde hair but its very nearly white and looks so good
Stub
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
lmao
Higgy
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Agghh another goth to run away from :P
graveyarddreams
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by The_Crow)
Hey everyone, I am thinking of going Goth but i don't know if i'd be very good at it. I have so many different styles i like i want to settle on one for a bit. What kinda of things are essential for proper Goth style do i really need to wear black and white makeup, and dye my hair (cos i'm blonde) and give up pink?
What 'goth' is varies with people. But image wise i think it would be safer if you say 'gothic' instead of goth, as goth is more commonly known as a personality type and frame of mind rather than a fashion, therefore you cannot willingly 'become' goth. Go to camden, walk around and ask the people there, they should be helpful.
phantom
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
or you can just go to camden with a notebook, pencil and a camera and take inspiration from the many goths that hang around there...
Sweet Adeline
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Hmm, I know a girl who went from one day having blonde hair, wearing baby pink Disney t-shirts and white trainers, to the next (well after the holidays) having black hair, heavy eyeliner, corsetry and New Rock boots. It's six months on and I still want to laugh when I see her, which sounds cruel but such a drastic change, expecially to a straight-out-of-the-catalogue image, just looks ridiculous. She's 17, I think, which is far too old for this kind of trend-following.

The point is you should, cliched as it sounds, find your own style. The "goth" look can be gorgeous, but there are many different styles, the most successful ones are not by-the-numbers, they have a bit of originality. I often get called "a bit goth", although I'm not really, because I'm pale with dark hair and often wear dark, sometimes vampy clothes, but I don't look anything like the goth gang at my college. So I'd suggest be who you are, don't give up pink or dye your hair, but modify your image to fit in with the new fashions that you like. I've found teaming older favourite clothes with new items bought to fit a certain image works well, the worst thing you could do is look like you're wearing a whole new outfit.
hippieglitter
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
The main reason i wnat to settle on one of my styles for a bit is i reviiewed everything i have and noticed that i have various stuff, like accessories or tops that don't actually go with anything else i have so i want to review and find a certain style that i am comfortable with so i dont spend so much money on stuff that i don't need.
Tara_B
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
But rather than saying 'all my clothes will follow one genre' why dont you just buy stuff you like? Rather than following a specific trend?
Katia
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Profesh)
Oh dear.
Ditto. May I add...wannabe?
=nuke=
Badges: 11
Report 12 years ago
I suppose most people go through phases a little like this, though. Usually at 12/13, but hey.

When baggy jeans were fashionable I would wear nothing else. If jeans weren't like tents at the bottom, I didn't want to know. :p: I still love them but I'm not so worried about the size anymore.
xXMessedUpXx
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Someone asked me if i was goth the other day. Not sure how, i was wearing my billy talent tee (hehe not what you'd glass as a goth band) and jeans. That said i do have dark brown/bright red hair
Mad Vlad
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by juueru_chou)
Even though it is not what you want to hear, I shall say it anyway.

Being a goth is not about looking like the stereotypical goth, or indeed trying to conform to a certain goth image. Be yourself and do whatever you feel comfortable with.
I have been called a goth before, but I don't go around wearing loads of makeup or even wearing gothic clothing. I just wear what I want to (which happens to be mostly black) and just get on with it. Most of the time, under my black hoodie I am wearing a star trek t-shirt, which is rather ungothic.
For goodness sake do not just do something because you think that doing it will make you fit in with the crowd.
Well said dude
Ziggy Stardust
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Cool thread! -> Not! :hmmm:
xXMessedUpXx
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by dan)
Cool thread! -> Not! :hmmm:
Cool Post! -> Not!:hmmm:
Konstantine
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by The_Crow)
Hey everyone, I am thinking of going Goth but i don't know if i'd be very good at it. I have so many different styles i like i want to settle on one for a bit. What kinda of things are essential for proper Goth style do i really need to wear black and white makeup, and dye my hair (cos i'm blonde) and give up pink?
By the sounds of it, you've been romanced by the notion of having a place in a sub-culture. My wardrobe's quite diverse, and I find a mix and match attitude works best.

I have so many different styles i like i want to settle on one for a bit.
Let's tackle this bit first: you like a lot styles, but want to elimate a good half a dozen of them and settle for the gothic look? Why? If you're into a range of things, buy whatever takes your fancy. You'll feel a bit of a pillock if you wander into town and see a nice baby pink strappy top that you like, but feel like you can't buy it if you're kitted out from head to toe in black heavy fabrics. The cost of pigeonholing yourself outweighs the benefits, in my opinion.

You don't seem to be THAT keen on the idea of being a goth, even. "having to give up pink" seems like one of those "oh piss, it's lent, do I really HAVE to give up chocolate?" kind of things. If you're not happy about changing that much, don't inflict it upon yourself.

If you're certain you want to do this though (and please don't think I was being judgemental, I'm just checking you know what you're doing before you buy new things), try phasing it in slowly. Darker tops for a while, then maybe darker eye make up, then try the accessories (these can be quite expensive). It's a smoother transition
The Canadian
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
The clothes I buy are extremely varied. I can change my whole apperance on a whim if I want to. I have the stereotypical goth gear, army gear, biker gear, punk gear etc.... I just buy stuff to match whatever trousers fit me :p:
girlgerms
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Personally, I think it's a bad idea - being a 'goth' is something you kind of dedicate yourself to, not a solution to a mismatched wardrobe.

I have a variety of styles depending on my mood - one day I'll be more gothy, the next in skinnies and pumps. Just wear what you feel comfortable in and what you want to wear. Give yourself the choice.
starless_dark
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by xXMessedUpXx)
Someone asked me if i was goth the other day. Not sure how, i was wearing my billy talent tee (hehe not what you'd glass as a goth band) and jeans. That said i do have dark brown/bright red hair
When I was in year 9 on an outward bound trip to Bewerly Park a fellow schoolmate asked me if I was a goth - I was wearing very wide-legged blue jeans, trainers, some regular tshirt and had long blonde frizzy hair. HAHAHA!

That said, I have an almost exclusively black wardrobe. I just feel safe in black now, colour is too bright for me. Yes, it's ridiculous. I think it was the metal and punk first, then the clothing quickly followed. REAL music, not nu-metal, by the way.

The threadstarter's 19??? My god.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The results of this poll are hidden until the poll closes.

Watched Threads