The Student Room Group

DofE Silver expedition and training..

How many different t-shirts, trousers etc. should I take?

Should I take PJs and is there anywhere to shower?

Scroll to see replies

Personally I like to travel light so considering it's only 3 days I would take a set of clothes that I was wearing and a spare set. Take enough pants and socks for a pair every day (it's no fun having to put on wet socks!) but frankly, if you get quick drying kit then you're good for clothes. I wouldn't bother taking pjs - I usually just sleep in pants/tshirt. Showering places depend on what type of campsite you're using - check it out online or ring them if you're that concerned but frankly, 3 days isn't that long to go without showering in the grand scheme of things - take a flannel and have a quick privates and armpit wash and you'll be fine!

If you want to get cheap walking kit then I suggest checking out tk maxx as they often have a lot of decent but cheap stuff in, eg. craghoppers, berghaus.

Definitely make sure that you have a good set of waterproofs - that's a jacket and trousers.
Reply 2
Original post by hothedgehog
Personally I like to travel light so considering it's only 3 days I would take a set of clothes that I was wearing and a spare set. Take enough pants and socks for a pair every day (it's no fun having to put on wet socks!) but frankly, if you get quick drying kit then you're good for clothes. I wouldn't bother taking pjs - I usually just sleep in pants/tshirt. Showering places depend on what type of campsite you're using - check it out online or ring them if you're that concerned but frankly, 3 days isn't that long to go without showering in the grand scheme of things - take a flannel and have a quick privates and armpit wash and you'll be fine!

If you want to get cheap walking kit then I suggest checking out tk maxx as they often have a lot of decent but cheap stuff in, eg. craghoppers, berghaus.

Definitely make sure that you have a good set of waterproofs - that's a jacket and trousers.

Thank you so much! :smile:
did you do your silver expedition?
Original post by _OliviaTheOwl
Thank you so much! :smile:
did you do your silver expedition?

No worries. I did bronze, silver and gold - great fun! In fact, so much so that I chose a fieldwork heavy degree too! So much walking!
Reply 4
No worries. I did bronze, silver and gold - great fun! In fact, so much so that I chose a fieldwork heavy degree too! So much walking!

wow seems to have changed your life!
ahh I hate walking but I guess I'm going to have to like it in order to get through the next few days! :tongue:
Reply 5
I dunno, for silver I think I took about one t-shirt(+baselayer), one pair pants and socks(might've taken 1 spare of each, I forget). One pair of trousers to wear. Didn't take any pjs, or showers(didn't take towels).
wow seems to have changed your life!
ahh I hate walking but I guess I'm going to have to like it in order to get through the next few days! :tongue:

You'll be fine - it's not actually that long and it's so few days. 5 weeks in the field makes 4 days of gold DofE look like nothing. Still, it was really good fun - try to keep in good spirits... we sang a lot and made up DofE variations of the 12 days of christmas and really odd stuff like that!
Reply 7
How many different t-shirts, trousers etc. should I take?

Should I take PJs and is there anywhere to shower?

One for each day and maybe shorts, depending on your preferences. Maybe a base layer/ compression top. I was told there were places to shower but when we got there, there wasn't any :L
Reply 8
Traveling light on DofE expedition really is important. I would just take a t-shirt for each day, 2 pants, and a pair of over trousers. If you have good waterproof boots you shouldnt have to worry about your socks getting wet either so just a change of socks each day should suffice. Take a fleece and waterproof jacket also.
Reply 9
take a flannel and have a quick privates and armpit wash and you'll be fine!

Crikey, much more cleaning than I ever did:p:

Also on the cheap kit note; if you can find outlet stores they're great; virtually all my kit came from a HH outlet store we found.
Reply 10
I took a t-shirt for each day, two pairs of tracksuit bottoms, a light hoodie, and a set of waterproofs (jacket and trousers) with taped seams, as well as underwear, walking socks and walking boots (with ankle support, not just walking shoes).

You could get away with two sets of clothing - one for day and another for night (in case of your day set getting wet) - but I'd recommend an extra t-shirt just to be hygenic and comfortable. It will be perfectly manageable to carry that much clothing alongside your food, trangia, tent etc.

It's Gold DofE when you really have to cut down on the clothing. :tongue:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Slumpy
Crikey, much more cleaning than I ever did:p:

Also on the cheap kit note; if you can find outlet stores they're great; virtually all my kit came from a HH outlet store we found.

Ha ha, yeah.... I can't honestly say that I ever took a flannel with me... being the Scouty type meant that not showering for 3 days was a normal occurrence on camps and didn't really fuss me much!
Reply 12
Ha ha, yeah.... I can't honestly say that I ever took a flannel with me... being the Scouty type meant that not showering for 3 days was a normal occurrence on camps and didn't really fuss me much!

Oh I think I took a flannel. There was my little washbag that never came out of the bag which I took to placate my mother:p:
And we once made a shower at a scout camp! Out of like, a bucket. It wasn't a good move.
Reply 13
You'll care much more about the extra weight on your shoulders by the end of the first day than having spotless hygiene.

Be aware it get cold overnight at this time of year though so you'll need two jumpers.
Original post by Slumpy
Oh I think I took a flannel. There was my little washbag that never came out of the bag which I took to placate my mother:p:
And we once made a shower at a scout camp! Out of like, a bucket. It wasn't a good move.

Yeah, the best trick is just to take them swimming in the middle of camp. That way they clean themselves and you don't have to try to trick them into showering!
Reply 15
You'll be fine - it's not actually that long and it's so few days. 5 weeks in the field makes 4 days of gold DofE look like nothing. Still, it was really good fun - try to keep in good spirits... we sang a lot and made up DofE variations of the 12 days of christmas and really odd stuff like that!

hahaha I do love a good sing-a-long!
Reply 16
Yeah, the best trick is just to take them swimming in the middle of camp. That way they clean themselves and you don't have to try to trick them into showering!

Wait, what? Actually wash? Only camp I ever did that at was the jamboree, and 2 weeks long you slightly need to:p:
Original post by Slumpy
Wait, what? Actually wash? Only camp I ever did that at was the jamboree, and 2 weeks long you slightly need to:p:

Yeah but the parents get a bit pissy sometimes!
I'd really advise to take as less as possible! You'll feel the weight later! :P

But ensure you have proper waterproofs because you do not want to be getting wet :')

For my silver, I'll be taking, 2 spare set of clothes, and that's it!
Personally I took just the clothes I walked in, a spare set and an extra fleece. I tend to take loads of socks and underwear - 1 pair per day and 1 or 2 spare pairs. They're not heavy to carry and it's horrible fiinding you've got no dry socks for the last day ...

I usually take SKINS as baselayers and sleep in those.

With regard to showers check with your team/supervisor and find out if you will have showers at you campsites and if you will be allowed to use them. Different supervisors and assessors have different rules. We booked our own campsites for silver and I made sure we had showers at each one ! All you need is a small microfibre towel and about 100ml shower gel and it's well worth the extra weight in my opinion.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending