The Student Room Group

Stuff that annoys you in the gym

Scroll to see replies

Original post by the baron
curls in the squatrack. Not eating oatz.

How many /fit/izens are there in this thread then?

squats and oats brah
Old men that stare at my butt while doing step aerobics :puke:
Original post by TheCurlyHairedDude
Depends what the work-out is tbh.

My gym has a sauna/steam-room/jacuzzi and a pool so, not to difficult to start a conversation. Hmm, every girl I know has admitted they do like a sneaky glance, not a full-on stare.

I repeat, it is never ok.

The other day I was on one of the machines and some guy started the whole 'so what's your name/do you come here often/etc' convo. I was polite at first and then said I hadn't been in a while and wanted to make the most of my workout *hint hint* before putting my earphones back in *hint hint hint* and he was still trying to talk to me midway through my set. And then he came up to me again during my sprint on the treadmill.

Super annoying.
(edited 12 years ago)
Everyone else lol. If I could, I would have a complete home gym.
Original post by Dark Horse
I also hate how my gym does not have bumper plates to make power cleans easier. I hate how they wouldn't let me bring my own bumper plates in. I hate how they wouldn't invest in bumper plates because "they aren't a powerlifting gym". Bumper plates aren't necessary by any means, but it makes the power clean a helluva lot easier because you don't have a negative to do.

This one isn't really about the gym - but I find it irritating how people who don't lift or anything advising me that I shouldn't go to the gym and get big. They advise me to go to the gym just to "get fit", but don't really explain what they mean by "fit". Fair enough if you don't want to lift but live and let live ffs.

This, only more when it comes to cleaning up the diet. Then either people say 'you don't need to lose any weight' or are all of a sudden a qualified nutritionist and tell you what you should and shouldn't eat despite having a terrible diet and fitness themselves.
Original post by Nomes89

The other day I was on one of the machines and some guy started the whole 'so what's your name/do you come here often/etc' convo. I was polite at first and then said I hadn't been in a while and wanted to make the most of my workout *hint hint* before putting my earphones back in *hint hint hint* and he was still trying to talk to me midway through my set. And then he came up to me again during my sprint on the treadmill.

Super annoying.

Anytime anyplace :awesome:
Original post by Nomes89

Super annoying.

That's just your opinion I know loads of people who have met at the gym before. That experience is nothing to do with chatting in the gym, that's to do with him and not having any game.

But as I said, if you're downstairs in the sauna/steam-room and so on it's fine, everyone at my gym is friendly lmao

what gym do you go?
That's just your opinion I know loads of people who have met at the gym before. That experience is nothing to do with chatting in the gym, that's to do with him and not having any game.

But as I said, if you're downstairs in the sauna/steam-room and so on it's fine, everyone at my gym is friendly lmao

what gym do you go?

I feel that people who talk without irony of men 'having game' when conversing with women are probably not best placed to make judgements about social situations.

I do see both sides of the argument, and being friendly should not be discouraged, but women do very often feel harassed when they get men trying to chat them up in gyms. Gyms are places where people go to get things done, usually on their own. It doesn't help that the men who chat up women at the gym are often the same men who lovingly check themselves out in the mirrors, so I can understand the displeasure of the women they approach.
Reply 108
Original post by crocker710

I saw a massive guy (we're talking 6'5" 110kg ish) go up to some curl bro's who were laughing at an overweight guy in my uni gym and forced them to apologise in front of everyone :awesome:

I'd love to see a vid of that. :tongue:
Original post by Chumbaniya
I feel that people who talk without irony of men 'having game' when conversing with women are probably not best placed to make judgements about social situations.

I do see both sides of the argument, and being friendly should not be discouraged, but women do very often feel harassed when they get men trying to chat them up in gyms. Gyms are places where people go to get things done, usually on their own. It doesn't help that the men who chat up women at the gym are often the same men who lovingly check themselves out in the mirrors, so I can understand the displeasure of the women they approach.

Chatting up?

Sorry how old are you?

Approach is a better word, men over-analyse way too much. Why are men afraid of saying hi to a random woman and seeing how she is....

I done this with my mates the other day, randomly went up to woman and said hi, and 80% of them smiled and said hi back....
Original post by Dark Horse

I also dislike friends who are "running" on the treadmills next to each other, and can still physically have enough breathe for a conversation. Crank up the speed, ffs.

Actually a lot of running professionals have said run at a speed which still allows you to have a conversation. So there's nothing wrong with that :P

But I get annoyed by the people who can't get their sets done all at once, and as soon as you get to a empty machine they say "oh, I've just got a few sets left can I sneak in" no you can't...you should have done it when no one was bloody using it ¬_¬

what gym do you go?

The thread is about stuff that annoys me at the gym. And it annoys me lol.

Nothing wrong with chatting just not when I'm clearly in the middle of something and especially when said thing is leaving me short of breath and sweating. I'm very focused when I'm working out which is also why I get irritated.

Let me guess, you're one of those kinda guys :biggrin:
Original post by crocker710
Anytime anyplace :awesome:

More like there's a time and a place :tongue:
Reply 113
Original post by Nomes89
This, only more when it comes to cleaning up the diet. Then either people say 'you don't need to lose any weight' or are all of a sudden a qualified nutritionist and tell you what you should and shouldn't eat despite having a terrible diet and fitness themselves.

Yeah. It's almost like they're trying to give you an excuse to not diet. Like they cannot be bothered to do it themselves so they don't really want anyone else to do it.

And I know for a fact that if they did it themselves they would wonder why they didn't do it sooner.

Original post by Chumbaniya

Lol. It's right. If I went to my gym during an off-peak hour it would be full of women. I guess they're trying to avoid having to make endure these "approaches".
Reply 114
The most annoying thing is obese people using weights, thinking they can 'turn their fat into muscle'.

Like seriously..... Get Yo' ass on the treadmill and do cardio.
Chatting up?

Sorry how old are you?

Approach is a better word, men over-analyse way too much. Why are men afraid of saying hi to a random woman and seeing how she is....

I done this with my mates the other day, randomly went up to woman and said hi, and 80% of them smiled and said hi back....

Picking on linguistic devices is what I was doing. Try not to copy :wink:

The woman you responded to was approached by a man who said hi, she was pestered by someone who wouldn't take a hint.

And on linguistic devices, 80% of the singular woman you said hi to smiled back? What did the other 20% do?
This didn't annoy me, but the other day I saw an old man going slowly
on the sit-down bike, listening to an iPod, watching a rugby match on the monitor on the machine and reading a book on his kindle at the same time!

At the same time, there was a man going backwards on a cross-trainer and reading a book.
what
Reply 119
Original post by BusheSCFC
The most annoying thing is obese people using weights, thinking they can 'turn their fat into muscle'.

Like seriously..... Get Yo' ass on the treadmill and do cardio.

Lifting can be a good way to lose weight too if you're combining it with a calorie deficit though.

Quick Reply

Latest