Registering for GSCE maths as a private candidate

Watch
lilmissA
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
Hello I want to do maths gcse as a private candidate, ist of all i am a bit confused with all of the uk exam boards out there. I want the option of not having to do any course work as I will be working and that might be a bit inconvenient ?? (but than againcourse work might be helpful idk). so how do i go about registering as a private candidate , which exam board is better ?? edexel, aqa , or ocr ... i heard cie is the hardest and i do not feel like struggling. I need to be able to get a an A-B grade. Is it possible to study this on my own ? or should i enroll in one of the course or should a proper text book be fine ? please give me as much info as possible pros and cons of the exam boards etc , ide really appreaciate your help !!
TenOfThem
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
no board has coursework

i suggest registering for a class
lilmissA
Rep:
?
oh ok no course work for private candidates you mean and by registering for a class do you mean at a local highschool ?? sorry if i sound naive ime just confused about this
TenOfThem
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by lilmissA)
oh ok no course work for private candidates you mean and by registering for a class do you mean at a local highschool ?? sorry if i sound naive ime just confused about this
just no coursework ... GCSE maths is exam only

I mean an evening class or similar
lilmissA
Rep:
?
(Original post by TenOfThem)
just no coursework ... GCSE maths is exam only

I mean an evening class or similar
oh ok kool thank you that makes sense i will look to see if there is any in my area
catoswyn
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by lilmissA)
Hello I want to do maths gcse as a private candidate, ist of all i am a bit confused with all of the uk exam boards out there. I want the option of not having to do any course work as I will be working and that might be a bit inconvenient ?? (but than againcourse work might be helpful idk). so how do i go about registering as a private candidate , which exam board is better ?? edexel, aqa , or ocr ... i heard cie is the hardest and i do not feel like struggling. I need to be able to get a an A-B grade. Is it possible to study this on my own ? or should i enroll in one of the course or should a proper text book be fine ? please give me as much info as possible pros and cons of the exam boards etc , ide really appreaciate your help !!
Hi,

You need to look at each exam board to check which ones accept private candidates which they call 'external candidates'. Not all do. Then you would have to find an examination centre (school or college) willing to accept external candidates to take that exam which would cost anywhere between £50-£125 to book the centre and then the cost of entering the exam on top of this. You usually have to do the same board as the exam centre offers its candidates. Quite a lot of work really.

Other options are night classes. Usually these plan to get maths candidates through in a year and they arrange everything you need including the exams. These are usually offerred by local further education colleges in your area. Some allow cadidates to study in the day time with regular students too.

There is also the OU for alternative mathematics qualifications.

Mr M
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by catoswyn)
Hi,

You need to look at each exam board to check which ones accept private candidates which they call 'external candidates'. Not all do. Then you would have to find an examination centre (school or college) willing to accept external candidates to take that exam which would cost anywhere between £50-£125 to book the centre and then the cost of entering the exam on top of this. You usually have to do the same board as the exam centre offers its candidates. Quite a lot of work really.

Other options are night classes. Usually these plan to get maths candidates through in a year and they arrange everything you need including the exams. These are usually offerred by local further education colleges in your area. Some allow cadidates to study in the day time with regular students too.

There is also the OU for alternative mathematics qualifications.

I don't know any Awarding Body that does not take external candidates for GCSE mathematics or any Centre that charges a £50-£125 booking fee. A local school will admit the OP as an external candidate and, if he picks the same Awarding Body they use for their students, the only charge will be the standard Entry Fee (plus Late Fee if he is planning to enter this Summer).
username929724
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
If I was you... I would talk to your skool... I did the same... Had to pay near £100 for just one module.. my teacher screamed at me even though I got my A* and then for the next module I took it through skool for onlii about £25
catoswyn
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Mr M)
I don't know any Awarding Body that does not take external candidates for GCSE mathematics or any Centre that charges a £50-£125 booking fee. A local school will admit the OP as an external candidate and, if he picks the same Awarding Body they use for their students, the only charge will be the standard Entry Fee (plus Late Fee if he is planning to enter this Summer).
A local school/college is the examination centre. However you are mistaken about the charges. If your local school does not make a charge then you are lucky... most do and the figures I have quoted are drawn from actual experience of real students across the country. There is no rule as to the amount they charge for the use of the facility, the examination officer at each centre is able to decide. Only last week a student on TSR reported he had been quoted £50 per exam for the use of his centre in Berkshire. Neither is there any requirement that local schools provide such access to external candidates so it is not as easy for many as you blithely suggest it is. In our area NO local state school or college will admit external candidates for instance. It is always a case of ringing round. For many this proves to be a fruitless exercise I'm afraid.

This is all well documented within the home education sector who are some of the main users of this system so I am unclear where you are drawing your assumptions from. It is well known that many people struggle to find examination centres in their areas. It is one reason some home study organisations have their own centre in Cambridge to cater for those who could not make arrangements. If you have a different experience then you are just lucky enough to live in the right area or have some tie with your local examination centre already such as a part time continuing student status in the examination officers mind. It cannot be guaranteed this is the case for most.

You are probably right about GCSE mathematics in that you say all boards accept external candidates. I was merely suggesting the OP check as this is not the case for all subjects. I already said the OP would need to take the same board as any examination centre she found.

Mr M
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
In our area NO local state school or college will admit external candidates for instance. It is always a case of ringing round. For many this proves to be a fruitless exercise I'm afraid.
You live in Somerset? Here are a few Centres in your County that are happy to take externals without making a charge if they have internal candidates taking the same paper: Ansford Academy, Holyrood Academy, Clevedon School, Crispin School, King's College, Taunton School International, Taunton Academy, Inaura, King Arthur's Community School and Buckler's Mead School. I'm sure there are many more.
catoswyn
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Mr M)
You live in Somerset? Here are a few Centres in your County that are happy to take externals without making a charge if they have internal candidates taking the same paper: Ansford Academy, Holyrood Academy, Clevedon School, Crispin School, King's College, Taunton School International, Taunton Academy, Inaura, King Arthur's Community School and Buckler's Mead School. I'm sure there are many more.
Well that's great news. I, or others in the home education community, have asked at most of these previously and they have said 'No'. However I will ring them again tomorrow morning and check again. Maybe they have had a change of heart in the last six months. May I ask where you got the information as if it turned out to be correct it would obviously be very useful to people here and I could publish the details in our newsletter. There are 250 home educating families here in Somerset and most are desperate for easily accessible exam centres.

Any idea on charges indicated in your source or are these all free as you said?

Mr M
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Source: AQA private candidates list - it is in no way comprehensive, just a list of Centres that have told AQA they are happy for them to tell private candidates any requests they make are likely to get a positive reception.

http://web.aqa.org.uk/admin/library/...ND-CENTRES.PDF
gdunne42
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
There is a similar info on the Edexcel site:
http://www.edexcel.com/i-am-a/studen...s/default.aspx

In this case I believe it's a list of centres who have accepted private candidates in the past (and therefore by implication may be willing to do so in the future...) I suspect some only accept private candidates with an historical connection with the centre (e.g. former students).
Bodragon
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Why should I (being, I think in a similar situation as the original poster) register for a class?I just want to sit the exam.I have just completed ten past GCSE maths papers. Breezed them, so I don't think I need any tuition.I just want the piece of paper that confirms I am competent to this particular level.Thanks.Bo Bodragon
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Who is winning Euro 2020

France (79)
27.15%
England (98)
33.68%
Belgium (25)
8.59%
Germany (37)
12.71%
Spain (5)
1.72%