This discussion is closed.
samgirl5
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 17 years ago
I Am stumped!

i have this maths coursework, where theres a fencing 'problem' basically i need to know how to work out the area of octagons, pentagons, hexagons etc. i just cant do it!

please help me!

+ what has more area? a circle or a square/rectangle?

HELP ME!

luv ya

sam

xx
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Start simple...with the shape with the smallest number of sides - the triangle. Work out the lengths of the sides of a few different types of triangle (right angle, isosoles and equilateral) and find the area (area of a triangle = (height * base)/2 - start with the right angle triangle because that's easiest - the other 2 you will need to split into 2 right angled triangles and use trig to find the height to find the area.

Do the same thing with 4 sided shapes - rectangles, squares, parallelograms (split into triangles to find the area) if you're feeling clever etc etc

By this point you should see a pattern emerging for each No of sides - ie a certain type of shape will have the greatest area.

Predict this and then work out the area for some shapes with more sides - pentagon, hexagons octagons etc (by splitting into triangles)...and see if changing the number of sides increases the area you can get.

http://www.rose.edu/faculty/gjackson/formula.htm
Contains all the formulae you should need for areas and perimeters
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you feel if uni students needed to be double vaccinated to start in Autumn?

I'd feel reassured about my own health (35)
15.15%
I'd feel reassured my learning may be less disrupted by isolations/lockdowns (70)
30.3%
I'd feel less anxious about being around large groups (28)
12.12%
I don't mind if others are vaccinated or not (20)
8.66%
I'm concerned it may disadvantage some students (13)
5.63%
I think it's an unfair expectation (62)
26.84%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (3)
1.3%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed