This discussion is closed.
samgirl5
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
I Am stumped!

i have this maths coursework, where theres a fencing 'problem' basically i need to know how to work out the area of octagons, pentagons, hexagons etc. i just cant do it!

please help me!

+ what has more area? a circle or a square/rectangle?

HELP ME!

luv ya

sam

xx
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Start simple...with the shape with the smallest number of sides - the triangle. Work out the lengths of the sides of a few different types of triangle (right angle, isosoles and equilateral) and find the area (area of a triangle = (height * base)/2 - start with the right angle triangle because that's easiest - the other 2 you will need to split into 2 right angled triangles and use trig to find the height to find the area.

Do the same thing with 4 sided shapes - rectangles, squares, parallelograms (split into triangles to find the area) if you're feeling clever etc etc

By this point you should see a pattern emerging for each No of sides - ie a certain type of shape will have the greatest area.

Predict this and then work out the area for some shapes with more sides - pentagon, hexagons octagons etc (by splitting into triangles)...and see if changing the number of sides increases the area you can get.

http://www.rose.edu/faculty/gjackson/formula.htm
Contains all the formulae you should need for areas and perimeters
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What are you most likely to do if you don't get the grades you were expecting?

Go through Clearing (18)
38.3%
Take autumn exams (18)
38.3%
Look for a job (1)
2.13%
Consider an apprenticeship (1)
2.13%
Take a year out (6)
12.77%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (3)
6.38%

Watched Threads