Font help for maths! Urgent! Watch

rockiee
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
Hi,

I'm not sure if I'm posting this in the right place but I was wondering if someone could give me some suggestions on what type of font is used in textbooks and stuff when equations are given?

I'm writing a report at the moment and would appreciate if someone could help me out. Thanks!
Jonny W
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
LaTeX is a popular free program for mathematical word processing. You write things like

\int_0^1 x^2 dx = 1/3

and get output that looks like a book.
AlphaNumeric
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
It's the standard font that Latex uses. I don't know it's it's got a specific name, I think there are various different fonts you can have in Latex but almost universally people use the standard one precisely because it is standard.

An example of Latex would here here (I happened to be reading that page while browsing TSR :p: ).
rockiee
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
Thanks for all your suggestions!
Jonny W
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Imagine that you gave your Matlab program to someone. What instructions and advice would you give them about using it?
bobbob
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
What does everyone use to make LaTeX documents? I'm a n00b to it
AlphaNumeric
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
http://www.latexeditor.org/ and http://www.miktex.org/
latentcorpse
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
my dad downloaded a program called MathType that is really good but he had to buy it fom an american company
AlphaNumeric
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Latex is a free distribution, so either your dad was unfortunately jacked by someone selling a free program (plenty of them about ) or he paid for some program which does a load of fancy things like shortcutting certain boring procedures, but then Latex Editor (which I linked to) does exactly the same. It's got button links for practically everything and 'predictive text'
latentcorpse
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
ok seeing as i dont actuaaly know what latex is i'm guessing it's something completely different that we have because my parents very rarely miss out on getting good bargains - see they spend a lot of time searching for cheapest stuff - hehe I'M CHEAP AND I LIKE IT ALPHA!! :p:
AlphaNumeric
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Latex can do this. It's my typed up notes from last term for one of my courses (yes, I'm showing off :p: ). It's free, and all decent maths papers are typed up in it.
latentcorpse
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
well all that's kind of obvious but thanks i'll use it as a summary of the ground work for my 1st year high school end of term exam :p: lol
latentcorpse
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
seeing as your not scottish alpha (well u might be i don't know) u probably won't get this but if u have ever seen "chewin' the fat"

i'd just like to say "ooooooooo....fancy!"

i think all Scottish people will agree that I have rounded up this argument nicely!

p.s. not that it's really an argument :p: i can't even remember how this started!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of the West of England, Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon - Frenchay Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Jan '19
  • University of East London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Jan '19
  • University of Gloucestershire
    School of Education Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Jan '19

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1618)
79.2%
Leave (425)
20.8%

Watched Threads