The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
gbduo
I did 200mph on the Hockingheim ring in Germany. (Went with my millionaire uncle in his Diablo)
QUOTE]

Just had a quick look on the official formula 1 website and that suggests that the cars will only reach 202mph. Will a diablo keep pace with an F1 car?
Reply 121
mark1010
I often drive the M4 corridor. Based on my experience of driving, which is considerably longer than yours, most of your unofficial rules are make believe. Tailgating is justified? Its never justified. If you crashed into a people carrier for example, and killed someone sitting in the back, would it be justified because they were going slower than you? Your attitude is going to kill someone. Now back to reality...

Mate, it was a joke! Putting yourself in dangerous drivers shoes, trying to justify tailgating because you are a God, which some drivers on the M4 believe they are.

Well, as i have been 200mph on the Hockingheim ring, obviously a Diablo can go 200mph and keep up with a F1 car...although this diablo was seriously modified, it had about 850bhp, it was quick!

However, in saying this, 200mph was shown on the speedo of the diablo (and not via GPS like F1 cars) and it is common knowledge that speedo's go wacko after 100 mph, so it could have been more like 190, either way, it was very fast!

Graham
Reply 122
mark1010
Hey, i drive a van for long periods everyday and i've found car drivers to be far worse than van drivers. Those in bigger cars such as 4x4s like to bully there way along the road network. Oh and the speed limit for a van when a car can do 60mph is only 50mph...

and i'm not supporting tail gating here, BUT in a van you can see considerably further ahead than you would be able to in a car and can see hazards way before cars ahead of you.

Oh and car drivers. Idiots. The lot of them (since you can label me with all van drivers!)
Mark

how ever, if a van driver is so close, he wont notice if the car infront slams on his breaks
Reply 123
A_ndy_
4) People driving while on mobile phones :mad:

God they are annoying tailgaters, esp on country lanes/back roads, usually scare them a bit and flash my brake lights at them, then they back off a bit. WOrst thing is, on the motorway, and they are tail gating you, and you don't move, they under take you. What idiots :mad: Worse for tailgating are them New Land Rovers Drivers :mad:

It would depend on why they would undertake you.......... hope your not a middle lane driver :biggrin:
Reply 124
andyroo
how ever, if a van driver is so close, he wont notice if the car infront slams on his breaks

And exactly the same for a car driver!
Reply 125
gbduo
you will be tailgated or followed very closely. Which tbf is fair enough, i am not saying that tailgating is good, ................Although tailgaters who are inches of your bumper are annoying when you are doing the 'expected' speed limit, when the person in front is doing alot less than the expected speed limit, it is justified, although this should not be withing inches, more like feet...

The middle lane is for 80 mph cruise and the outside lane is the fast lane. If you are doing 85mph, a car comes up behind you doing 90mph you should pull into the middle lane ASAP to let that car past.i am only 18, i am a better driver than my Dad and most people on the road,

haha, where do i start.

1. if you are tail gaiting even a few feet at 80 mph, the person infront slams on there breaks.... you are ****ed. You do not have the reaction time, that is why there are pile ups....

2. if we are being legal, the middle and outside lane are also for people doing 70mph, just over taking the people in the slow lane.

3. your 18, and we can tell..... you will be dead soon
Reply 126
As i said before, it was a ****ing joke!

Also, the actual legal absolute limit on the motorway is 79mph, you get 10% +2 mph over the speed limit under the law on motorways, and all roads above 60mph. On roads below 50, you just get the +2mph i believe, although you should not speed through these areas. So you can legally cruise at 79mph, that is why the police don't care when you cruise at 80, which lets be honest most people do!

Graham
Reply 127
-mb-
Let me put it this way:

Given a choice between you and gbduo driving me somewhere, I would choose gbduo for any journey, even though I've never met either of you.

That is because he is less likely to have an accident, and even if he did, we'd be less likely to die. There is no substitute for experience.

Why is it such a problem for you to accept that?

Thanks Mate, i'm glad some people on here have some basic common sense!

I have been asking why it is so hard for people to realise that even though i am 'only' 18, i have over 8 years experience driving cars...experience counts.

Graham
Reply 128
gbduo
Thanks Mate, i'm glad some people on here have some basic common sense!

I have been asking why it is so hard for people to realise that even though i am 'only' 18, i have over 8 years experience driving cars...experience counts.

Graham

But surely its only experience in certain areas, like reading the road or whatever. However, you only have 1 year of experience dealing with real, everyday motorists. How they act, WILL be different to say how a racing driver would act! Jenson Button would be more predictable then Joe Bloggs who lives down the street!

Mark
Reply 129
Graham, you're an idiot. You may be in control of the car but you are not in control of other people. You haven't got a clue.
Reply 130
Yes agree completely on that one. Racing drivers do act differently because they all act predictably. Most drivers do act predictably its just some drivers are crap and don't!

Your right, i only have 1 and a half years experience on the road, but with cars themselves and how they work i have alot more. So even if i did God forbid lose control i would be better equipped using my experience as a racing driver to get control again and not crash into anything else, or cause minimal damage...hopefully! Obvously we all make mistakes and we need to do our best to stop these mistakes from happening, but from my experience i have probably got the knowledge on how to automatically and using my reflexes be able to control the car!

So yes i agree with you, but if i were to crash then i think i would have more knowledge and reflexes to control the crash, if that makes sense!

Graham
gbduo
Yes agree completely on that one. Racing drivers do act differently because they all act predictably. Most drivers do act predictably its just some drivers are crap and don't!

Your right, i only have 1 and a half years experience on the road, but with cars themselves and how they work i have alot more. So even if i did God forbid lose control i would be better equipped using my experience as a racing driver to get control again and not crash into anything else, or cause minimal damage...hopefully! Obvously we all make mistakes and we need to do our best to stop these mistakes from happening, but from my experience i have probably got the knowledge on how to automatically and using my reflexes be able to control the car!

So yes i agree with you, but if i were to crash then i think i would have more knowledge and reflexes to control the crash, if that makes sense!

Graham

Mr. Harvey. Do you want to admit your story thus far is complete twaddle, or should I explain it to everyone for you? For instance, what class did you race in? Or what classes allow 10 - 18 year olds to race supercars?
Reply 132
Explain to everyone, i think i know what i have done in my life more than you.
gbduo
As i said before, it was a ****ing joke!

Also, the actual legal absolute limit on the motorway is 79mph, you get 10% +2 mph over the speed limit under the law on motorways, and all roads above 60mph. On roads below 50, you just get the +2mph i believe, although you should not speed through these areas. So you can legally cruise at 79mph, that is why the police don't care when you cruise at 80, which lets be honest most people do!

Graham

What are you on about? The legal speed limit is 70mph, the fact that SOME police forces give a set tolerance means nothing, you can not legally travel above 70mph.

If the limit as 79 as you state, which it isn't, you could get away with doing close to 90mph before getting caught. The speed at which it is likely you will get caught and prosecuted is not the legal limit, the limit is 70.
you may or may not notice there is no mention of your surname thus far on TSR. now, how did running for treasurer go?
El Chueco
you may or may not notice there is no mention of your surname thus far on TSR. now, how did running for treasurer go?

Spill then El Chueco :wink:
Reply 136
No its not, read the traffic laws. You get a 10% discrepancy because everyone's speedometers are different in their cars and then a further 2 mph because everyone wavers around the speed, take into account downhill and so forth.

If you do greater than 79mph you are breaking the law, so if you are doing 80 you are breaking the law and could be pulled over. Although everyone does 80mph so if the police were to enforce this they would have to pull everyone over. If you doing 90 i can assure you they will pull you over if you are caught, its usually greater than 85mph and you are screwed properly. Between 80 and 85 in my area you would get a slap on the wrist, if you go over 85 you will be prosecuted, if you do over 100 they will take you to court. Thats what the traffic officer told me that i was talking to in the pub anyway.

Graham
Reply 137
El Chueco
Mr. Harvey. Do you want to admit your story thus far is complete twaddle, or should I explain it to everyone for you? For instance, what class did you race in? Or what classes allow 10 - 18 year olds to race supercars?

Who said that i was racing supercars...i was able to drive supercars because my uncle is a multi millionaire and he let me drive them round tracks, it just so happened that there were other supercars on the track at the time so i raced them. It wasn't an official race if you will.

There are plenty of classes that allow 10-18 year olds to race. I don't believe i ever said what i raced tho
gbduo
No its not, read the traffic laws. You get a 10% discrepancy because everyone's speedometers are different in their cars and then a further 2 mph because everyone wavers around the speed, take into account downhill and so forth.

If you do greater than 79mph you are breaking the law, so if you are doing 80 you are breaking the law and could be pulled over. Although everyone does 80mph so if the police were to enforce this they would have to pull everyone over. If you doing 90 i can assure you they will pull you over if you are caught, its usually greater than 85mph and you are screwed properly. Between 80 and 85 in my area you would get a slap on the wrist, if you go over 85 you will be prosecuted, if you do over 100 they will take you to court. Thats what the traffic officer told me that i was talking to in the pub anyway.

Graham

Ok, go ask a policeman what the speed limit is on the motorway. Go read the traffic laws.

ALL speedos must over-read the speed, not under-read, the +10% +2 rule used by some police forces (in general, those part of the safety camera partnership) allows for any accidental increase in speed. This is pretty typical for ALL speed enforcement, though some forces allow for zero tolerence, they are very rare.

If you do greater than 70mph, you are breaking the law, since most car speedos over-read linearly by 10% +/- 3%, you need to be doing close to 77 indicated before you hit 70mph actual. Maybe this is what you are getting confused with.

The fact that the law of 70mph is not enforced to the 0.001mph does not mean it's legal to drive an actual 71mph on the road, it simply means that the police attack the serious offenders, as do speed cameras.

85 mph may be a slap on the wrist (verbal warning) or a speeding ticket, depending on your attitude. 90mph (actual of course) is more likely to be a speeding ticket. 100+ will be go court.

They are all illegal, just by different levels and are enforced in different ways.

There is certainly NO law which states that the speed limits on the road are wrong!

And El Chueco, i think I know what you mean now :wink:
Reply 139
Ok, basically what i was trying to explain, just in better termanology!

I am sorry if it was misleading but that is simply what i was trying to say. I was wrong to say that it was not illegal i was merely stating that you won't get a ticket until you go above 79mph.

I am sorry if i have mislead anybody, it was a mistake and i was wrong.

Graham

Latest

Trending

Trending