This discussion is closed.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
Hi my name is Catherine Poynor, and I too am a "fellow psychology suffer". Please help me with the critical issue, WB POONER
HelenBrownsell
Badges: 0
Report 16 years ago
Hello

What critical issues do you have? Is it still "psychology as a science", "free will and determinism" and "nature versus nurture"? If so I can try to point you in the right direction. Have a look at the developmental topics you cover in psychology when thinking about "nature versus nurture". It shows different theories and suggests whether psychologists see genes and instincts as being the key to development or the environment around them. Its also a good idea to focus on monozygotic (identical) twins and dizygotic (non-identical) twins. Look at them growing up together and apart.

"Free will and determinism" can have some connections with "nature versus nurture" as if nature and nurture both influence behaviour then a person doesnt have free will. Look at the different psychological approaches and see what they say. Do they see behaviour as being influenced by genes or the environment or do they see the individual as doing what he or she pleases. I think you'll find that it is hard to find a great deal of evidence for the free will side as even if people believe they have free will, they are still existing within the restrictions of society.

"Psychology as a science" is a total pain in the bum. I really cant help you very much with this one. It depends on the approaches used and the experiments used. Look at areas such as ecological validity and control in environments. Can you see the cause and effect?

Hope that helps a bit. If you have any specific questions, I'll try my best to help.

Helen Brownsell
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now? (select all that apply)

Lack of purpose or routine (163)
15.51%
Uncertainty around my education (172)
16.37%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (102)
9.71%
Isolating with family (71)
6.76%
Lack of support system (eg. Teachers, counsellors) (39)
3.71%
Lack of exercise/ability to be outside (91)
8.66%
Loneliness (105)
9.99%
Financial worries (47)
4.47%
Concern about myself or my loved ones getting ill (96)
9.13%
Exposure to negative news/social media (74)
7.04%
Lack of real life entertainment (eg. cinema, gigs, restaurants) (91)
8.66%

Watched Threads