The Student Room Group

HELP!!

Hi, I've been rejected from all my vet med courses :frown: I just want to know whether vet courses go through clearing or is there a short-list? Please help
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by s.bee
I just want to know whether vet courses go through clearing

No it's far too oversubscribed.

or is there a short-list?

Yes but you best contact admissions sooner rather than later and again come results day in the hope that someone's missed their grades. The problem is that all of the vet schools make more offers than they have places and even if successful applicants do miss their grades they are often still accepted.

By all means contact admissions but have a backup plan. Start organising further placements for next year, retake modules to bring your grades up (if necessary), finish your Gold Duke of Edinburgh's Award, etc to strengthen your application should you need to reapply.
Were you rejected before or after interview?

There is no clearing, a fact which is made clear on all the prospectuses and websites related to veterinary medicine.
I'd ring up the unis and ask why you were rejected/if they can give you feedback. Also ask them if they have waiting lists and if you are on them

Depending on why you were rejected you will have to do different things
Low grade predictions - achieve AAA or better and you should be ok
Low interview scores - this comes with practice I'm afraid
Not enough work experience - pretty self explanatory, get some more, try and do something for a year at weekends (volunteering etc).
You were taking resits after the end of year 13 - some unis don't accept this and theres not much you can do about it
Low BMAT - revise revise revise and try and get some revision guides/textbooks up to GCSE from school
Personal statement was poor - try and show motivation and commitment, don't list what you did at work experience or what you do at school, say what you gained from it/what you learned/how it will help you in the future/how its related to veterinary
Reference was poor - talk to school and ask them how you can improve your reference for next year

Hope this helps

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending