adam132
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
Does anyone know a good place/resource to revise for this summer's exam?

My teacher constantly sais languagesonline/linguascope, but i'm not sure how course based these are (as in, is it the stuff i need to know). Also unsure of whether i should be solely revising keywords, or tenses and ect too.

As far as i know we're doing the latest aqa french course
RoryS
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I'm not entirely sure either. My teacher said to do online revision over Easter, I attempted it this morning then just gave up and joined TSR! I don't know what to revise.

I'd suggest buying the AQA French textbook and using Kerboodle.

You could also look for some past papers and go through them to get yourself familiar with the exam style.
adam132
Rep:
?
(Original post by RoryS)
I'd suggest buying the AQA French textbook and using Kerboodle.
Seems like quite a bit of money, would you say it's worth it?
RoryS
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Ermmm its good to have when you've not understood something in class and you want to check it.

It is also useful to have for explanations on language, grammar and the vocabulary lists at the end of each section. I personally think it's worth it.
rac1
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
there's that little bit at the end of the written paper where you have to conjugate the given verb in a sentence so we will need to revise tenses:K:
x-Sophie-x
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Our school provides us with Kerboodle, Vocab Express, Linguascope and of course there's languages online to learn vocab. Though I find they're quite rubbish sites, since you can only really learn key vocab. The best way for me, is using the listening tracks from the Expo GCSE French textbook and doing past papers (which are on our school VLE) I'm sure your school will provide you with them, if you ask.
claire_hughes
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
What I've found really useful is the list of all the words that could possibly come up on the exam. It's extremely long and like 20 pages or something but by translating them all it has actually helped me quite a bit. I'm not sure where to find it (my teacher did it for me) but I'm sure it's on the AQA website somewhere.

As for revision material, GO TO YOUR LIBRARY.
It's free and has loads of french GCSE stuff (I'm in Sheffield and mine does so if you live in a relatively big city then I'm sure yours will too).
If not, I bought some cheap second-hand revision guides off ebay. They're just as good.

Caz.123
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by rac1)
there's that little bit at the end of the written paper where you have to conjugate the given verb in a sentence so we will need to revise tenses:K:
Are you sure you do AQA? I've never seen this in any past paper or been told about it by my teacher?
adam132
Rep:
?
thanks for the advice guys, just found some stuff on my school website.

also, am i right in thinking the main topics are: Health, relationships + choices, free time and media, holidays, the environment, school/college and current/future jobs?

they're the ones given to me on my school website, but not sure if some are just for controlled assessments or?
dippers
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I only started the french GCSE halfway through the year because I'm doing the Ebac, my teacher hasn't told me how to revise, and it's my first exam! Help please?
rac1
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Caz.123)
Are you sure you do AQA? I've never seen this in any past paper or been told about it by my teacher?
lol, I've just worked out that you were in fact talking about GCSE french, I am however sure I do AQA at a-level, unless there is something they aren't telling me, lol:pierre::eek:

when i did GCSE, i tried to learn a silly amount of vocab, did some past papers and used SAM learning a bit and Bitesize quite a lot.
Caz.123
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by rac1)
lol, I've just worked out that you were in fact talking about GCSE french, I am however sure I do AQA at a-level, unless there is something they aren't telling me, lol:pierre::eek:

when i did GCSE, i tried to learn a silly amount of vocab, did some past papers and used SAM learning a bit and Bitesize quite a lot.
Haha fair enough
katehelena
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by adam132)
Seems like quite a bit of money, would you say it's worth it?
Personally, i think Kerboodle is pointless.
The CGP Revision guide is also rubbish.
I would say just get a grammar book and make sure you know all that, then just make lots of notes for each of the sub-topics
ericbobson
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Has anyone tried the French vocab tracks at Upbeat Learning? (http://www.upbeatlearning.com)? Looks like a cool idea, remixing vocab with music.
Lily Academia
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Alongside brushing up on grammar (for the 10 mark grammar section towards the back of the paper) by copying out the tables and sticking them anywhere you'll notice them best (I think we still have a fraying subjunctive-table on the fridge. I was terrible with the grammar at AS) my advice would be:

- for LISTENING practice: Kerboodle if you have access to it, alongside French films (I watched all the Harry Potters and Mulan in French for light relief :blush:)

- for READING practice: French news articles, books in French that you know in English well (again - I used Harry Potter here)

- for WRITING practice: I used my oral-prep as a basis for this; speaking was my strongest point for AS (full marks in the oral-exam ) and by memorising a lot of 'answers' for possible questions on the different topics my essay writing improved significantly. I went through each topic and could, by the end of Easter, pretty much write out any essay stemming from what I'd learnt for my oral-exam. I'll spoiler an example:

Spoiler:
Show

Television - Media:

1). Quelles émissions aimez-vous? Porquoi?

Personellement, j’adore les documentaires parce que je trouve que c’est très intéressant et aussi pédagogique; la plupart est excellent! Suite à cela, j’aime les informations parce que j’aime être bien informée et me tenir au courant.

2). Quelles sont les émissions préférés de jeunes? Quels sont les effects de la télévision sur les jeunes?

En ce moment je pense que les émissions de la télé-réalité sont très populaires entre les ados, peut-être parce que ils sont si terre-à-terre. Je crois aussi que les adolescents préfèrent les feuilletons ou les émissions d’humour aux nouvelles télévisées - probablement car ils voudraient se déténdre et rire le soir après le collège. Cependant, je suis d'avis que l’influences de la télévision sur les jeunes aujourd’hui est assez inquiétante; je suis tout à fait d’accord qu’il y a trop de violence à la télévision de nos jours.

3). Comment trouves-vous les émissions de télé-réalité.

Ah, bien qu’ils soient très populaires avec la plupart des jeunes, je méprise la télé-réalité parce que les personnages sont irréalistes et ils ne représentent pas du tout la réalité. Pour ma part je trouve que l'intérêt des dites émissions n'est pas des plus flagrants si ce n'est pour les publicitaires...

4). L’influence de la télévision, est-elle bonne ou mauvais?

A mon avis, la télévision et son influence sur la société sont à la fois bonnes et mauvaises. Il va sans dire que certains programmes - commes les documentaires, ou les émissions de l'histoire - ont une valeur educative. D’un autre côté, il semble que quelques du programmes encouragent la passivité entre les jeunes (dans les feuilletons, par exemple, quand les acteurs restent à ne rien faire en mangeant.)

I got an A in AS French last year and I would not say that French was my strong point, by any means. Easter is great time to get sorted for it - best of luck to everyone taking this exam! :jumphug:
[email protected]
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I use SAM learning but sometimes it's a bit of a waste because it doesn't tell you why you have gone wrong. I have the Nelson Thornes textbook, very helpful, it has pages dedicated to example CAs, both speaking and listening.

I would also recommend getting easy French books or magazines (if you can). Some French books come with the translation on the opposite page (off amazon). For listening I would go on websites, try as many as the school have paid for.
Wawasan
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Hi, I suspect that you are also doing the listening and reading exams, as the controlled assessments are now over?

I am in a similar situation but I have found some of my methods used quite successful. I have achieved an A* in the speaking and writing controlled assessments, and was entered in higher level reading and listening as a result of this.

From when I completed my controlled assessments, I have been revising phrases and keywords mainly on linguascope. I don't know whether you have access to this, but most schools should do. Notes that I have picked up in lessons should be re-cited; it is very easy to remember after you've got the hang of trying to remember them everyday.

Recently, I have been doing every past paper possible, and I have found these revision notes to prove quite successful. Along the way, I have jotted down translations for words that have caught me out.

So I think it is best to prepare yourself in the mindset that you will be willing work hard and note down whatever make be useful, whether that's words, phrases etc.
arieltcohen
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Just so you know, in your 'model answers' in the early stages of your answer to the second header it should read "parce qu'ils" as opposed to the "parce que ils" which you have written x
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now? (select all that apply)

Lack of purpose or routine (72)
15.22%
Uncertainty around my education (80)
16.91%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (43)
9.09%
Isolating with family (29)
6.13%
Lack of support system (eg. Teachers, counsellors) (19)
4.02%
Lack of exercise/ability to be outside (38)
8.03%
Loneliness (46)
9.73%
Financial worries (17)
3.59%
Concern about myself or my loved ones getting ill (47)
9.94%
Exposure to negative news/social media (34)
7.19%
Lack of real life entertainment (eg. cinema, gigs, restaurants) (48)
10.15%

Watched Threads