The Student Room Group

BKS's Log

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1180
Original post by Angry cucumber
How do you roll your shins? Been trying to do it, but end up on all 4s

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sitting with a ball and using my arms to apply pressure, I've not found any other way to do it hard enough. Sit with the target leg bent (knee up, foot close to your ass), clasp your hands round the ball and pull it into your shin. It's more press than roll really though you can roll a little

ETA: not sure if that was clear so stickman:

Drawing.png
(edited 8 years ago)
Form is pretty much perfect on those front squats.

Why don't you back squat?
Reply 1182
Original post by Smack
Form is pretty much perfect on those front squats.

Why don't you back squat?

Really? I thought it was still a bit off at the bottom

Cause my spine is dodgy so back squats are the devil
Reply 1183
6th Feb

Log cleans: 45kg 3x3

Log press: 55kg x2 60kg x2 65kg x1 67.5kg x1 70kg x1
sort of PB, first time with BW overhead but I only really count log from floor

Stones over yoke: 60kg 1x2 70kg xf
I still don't understand why I can't pick up 70

Yoke: 100kg x1 140kg x1 170kg x 0.5
1=18m, drop turn, 18m
Original post by BKS
Really? I thought it was still a bit off at the bottom

Cause my spine is dodgy so back squats are the devil

Yeah you don't exhibit any of the common front squat problems I see such as thoracic rounding or shooting the hips back and/or up. Torso stays vertical throughout, like you are sliding your back and and down a wall. Just genuinely good front squatting.

Things like leg pressing and strongman stuff are far more likely to damage your back than squats.
Reply 1185
Original post by Smack
Yeah you don't exhibit any of the common front squat problems I see such as thoracic rounding or shooting the hips back and/or up. Torso stays vertical throughout, like you are sliding your back and and down a wall. Just genuinely good front squatting.

Things like leg pressing and strongman stuff are far more likely to damage your back than squats.

Thanks, won't bother doing more working on it then

I first injured it in 11/12 academic year so I've done process of elimination on pretty much everything I can and can't do. I can't explain it cause I'm crap at biology but back squat seems to be fairly common as a problem for people with back issues. Maybe now I've got better ankle mobility I could do a more upright high bar squat but I really don't like the risk of weeks of it affecting my day to day movement.
Reply 1186
9th Feb

2hrs TKD

Warm up

Pad work: axe kick, axe kick into punch, turning into hooking kick, hooking into turning kick

Pad sparring

Teaching cause the black belt who was supposed to be doing it decided just to teach one pair :confused:

The end of my 10+ year break from competition has been confirmed, instructor said he has me a perfect match for Saturday which I assume means height and grade and he convinced them not to care about weight :lol: I'm hoping it's just one match, but should get the full list soon
Reply 1187
10th Feb

Deadlift: 50kg 3x5 80kg x3 100kg x3 120kg x1 130kg x1 140kg x1 150kg x1 @10

Pull ups: 3x5
Original post by BKS
10th Feb

Deadlift: 50kg 3x5 80kg x3 100kg x3 120kg x1 130kg x1 140kg x1 150kg x1 @10

Pull ups: 3x5

That's a lot of deadlifts!
Reply 1189
Original post by Kvothe the arcane
That's a lot of deadlifts!

My sarcasm detector doesn’t work digitally

In terms of overall volume it’s **** all but in terms of number of warm up sets I probably do to many but I find it psychologically helpful
Original post by BKS

In terms of overall volume it’s **** all but in terms of number of warm up sets I probably do to many but I find it psychologically helpful

I really wasn't being sarcastic. I saw the numbers and there seemed to be a high number of reps :tongue:.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk
Original post by BKS

Nah for a 1RM of 150 it's fine.
I really wasn't being sarcastic. I saw the numbers and there seemed to be a high number of reps :tongue:.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

???

At 100kg+ he does one set of 3 reps than only single reps thereafter. :confused:
Original post by In One Ear
???

At 100kg+ he does one set of 3 reps than only single reps thereafter. :confused:

I thought the @10 indicated repeats.
I thought the @10 indicated repeats.

Ah no, by that he means his perceived level of effort for that set (as in his 1 rep at 150 was 10/10 hard and was absolutely the most he could have done at that particular time).
Reply 1195
Now I'm less confused about the lack of sarcasm

me doing 150 x10 or even 10x1 :lol:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 1196
Tae Kwon Do competition today. I lost my match, the guy was good and I didn't do my best. But it's my first competition in over a decade so I'm ok with that.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by BKS
Tae Kwon Do competition today. I lost my match, the guy was good and I didn't do my best. But it's my first competition in over a decade so I'm ok with that. My club drew on both our matches (it's a team league) and we think those were the two toughest opponents. We're happy with that, we're still very much in it at joint second because nobody won both. Someone else took a video but I doubt I'll be able to get it from facebook group to here

lost or win does not matter at initial stages I thought. I want see your match video . let me know the link if you get it.
Reply 1198
Original post by physicst
lost or win does not matter at initial stages I thought. I want see your match video . let me know the link if you get it.

I'm 90% of the way to black belt so not very initial :tongue: but it makes the rust more obvious. But given I've not even competed as an adult before, I had to go throw myself back in to get a feel for it and I'll improve it quickly because I know what I need to think about now. I'm not annoyed or disappointed at myself at all. I'm actually really impressed with myself with how I wasn't nervous because I used to get horribly nervous, that makes me feel much better going in to future matches.

We've got three more sides to face in the next two months, I'm a difficult height and grade to match an opponent with but I should get another one or two matches.

It'll probably be a day or two til ll our videos get uploaded (we had 16 then 14 matches!) but I'll see if I can rip it off FB
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 1199
I missed going to the gym because of TKD comp info coming to light. It's not fair on anyone innocently involved to post details so publicly and I won't be posting the video for similar reason but I've now won my match by DQ.

Will do some yoga, stretching and foam rolling tonight

Quick Reply

Latest