The Student Room Group

I am so UNfit

I am quite slim (apparently I am underweight according to my BMI).
Nonetheless, I started going to the gym to get fitter. But here is the problem: the beginner's classes in body balance and yoga were too much for me; I only managed to do 30 mins on the treadmill (gradient 10% and speed was 7.5) and I found Zumba too exhausting before the full hour was up!
I am so upset of not being able to do even the basic stuff. It is also embarrassing in a exercise class when you go off balance and mess up a move that everyone else can do. Grrrrr, how long before I get used to it? My kness feel weak when I put myself in a certain position for more than 1 minute!!!!

Scroll to see replies

Well done for using the initiative to get fit :biggrin: When I first joined the gym I couldn't even jog for one minute on a speed of 9km/hr..shocking yes. But you will be so amazed at just how quickly you improve. Keep at it..it's so rewarding.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by *GoLdSeQuIn*
Well done for using the initiative to get fit :biggrin: When I first joined the gym I couldn't even jog for one minute on a speed of 9km/hr..shocking yes. But you will be so amazed at just how quickly you improve. Keep at it..it's so rewarding.

but it is SO embarrassing when everyone is running on the treadmill and I am there, walking and feeling tired already!
Reply 3
Don't be embarrassed. Instead you should be proud of yourself for making the effort to get fit and realising that being slim isn't the be all-end all. Keep at it and you'l improve much faster than you realise. :smile: You'l see some improvements in a few weeks.
Original post by itzme
but it is SO embarrassing when everyone is running on the treadmill and I am there, walking and feeling tired already!

Absolutely no-one is looking trust me! Every time you go, you'll be able to do something that you couldn't do last time and that feeling is amazing.
It's really good that you're exercising to be fit and not just thinking that because you're slim that you don't need to...something most girls lose sight of and think that exercise is purely for weight loss when it really isn't.
That's normal. You could have the leanest body in the world, but if you never exercised then you'd feel the cardiovascular strain very quickly.

It'll get better. Just keep going out of your comfort-zone and you'll see a stark improvement within a couple of weeks. You'll probably notice quite a difference the next time you go, in fact.
Reply 6
Compete against yourself. Set yourself targets so you get a sense of achievement- little ones for the next sessions and bigger ones for in 6 months time. And just keep trying. If you enjoy a class then keep doing it. The exhaustion just means you are working hard and that'll what'll get your fitter. Also make sure you are eating enough. Eating enough and eating healthy will improve your engery levels
Reply 7
just keep committed and you will see improvements in no time...

And btw if its 7.5 mph ( A fast jog ) for 30 mins its actually not bad, kmph on the other hand isn't great but like I said keep working...
Original post by itzme
My kness feel weak when I put myself in a certain position for more than 1 minute!!!!

Does your jaw get tired too?
Reply 9
Original post by itzme
Nonetheless, I started going to the gym to get fitter. But here is the problem: the beginner's classes in body balance and yoga were too much for me; I only managed to do 30 mins on the treadmill (gradient 10% and speed was 7.5) and I found Zumba too exhausting before the full hour was up!
I am so upset of not being able to do even the basic stuff. It is also embarrassing in a exercise class when you go off balance and mess up a move that everyone else can do. Grrrrr, how long before I get used to it? My kness feel weak when I put myself in a certain position for more than 1 minute!!!!

Don't worry.
Your body will re-programme itself to cope with whatever you do to it. The first few workouts are always tough when you've had a long spell of doing very little.

Soon you'll be fit and strong and you'll look back on these struggles fondly. Your confidence will increase also. :smile:
Original post by itzme

30 minutes on the treadmill from nothing is excellent! Everyone finds it hard when they start, the people on the ones next to you just have a slight head start :smile:

I'd try and stick to the cycling,treadmill and cross trainer for say a week to get used to excercising constantly but at a managable pace so not going all out, and then progressing onto the lessons say next week where you should find them a bit easier :smile:

Keep it up!
Original post by itzme

30min is a great start! Was the speed mph or kmph? You could try running outside - that really helped me, and the variety makes it so much better than a treadmill. I can't help with the strength stuff, but there is lots of advice on here, and I'm sure you'll find it easier after a few classes :smile:
Reply 12
Like everybody else has said 30 mins on a treadmill is great! You just need to continue to build your fitness and don't give up. Everyone else was in your position one day :-)
Reply 13
Original post by itzme

I have exactly the same problem, and I wanted to exercise more (especially as exams are coming up). At our school, we have a fitness suite available during the days that I use in some of my free periods. I go with friends that have the same problem, and we encourage each other to get more fit :biggrin:
If you don't have that, then go to the gym when you know less people are around. Take it easy at first and then build up - 30mins on a treadmill is better than nothing! Plus, you'll find that it'll get easier after regular sessions.
Go with friends! If you embarrass yourselves in a class, then you can laugh it off, and it'll be less embarrassing :P Good luck x
Reply 14
what? if you are under weight why would you do cardio?

if you are doing cardio make sure u eat a lot more
Reply 15
Original post by imMcLovin
what? if you are under weight why would you do cardio?

if you are doing cardio make sure u eat a lot more

Well, I want to have a stronger and more toned body.
Mighty oaks, little acorns, and some sort of saying I can't remember. Do what you can, not what you think people expect you to do.
Original post by itzme
Well, I want to have a stronger and more toned body.

If you're underweight and do cardio your body will start eating away at what little muscle you have.

'Toned' = low body fat, higher muscle.

To acheive this, you need to weight train with a decent calorie surplus.
whats your diet like? maybe you're anaemic
Original post by itzme

I used to have the same problem. Most people have the same problem but for different reasons - they're too fat rather than too skinny. I can tell you now that the responses that tell you to "keep at it" and you'll do better are plain false. The reason you can't keep up is to do with lack of energy, not lack of physical training - I know because I was in the same shoes as you. I pushed myself so hard I literally fainted at exercise classes and I still saw no improvements.

Put lots of effort into eating well and gaining weight - otherwise getting fit will be incredibly difficult.

Quick Reply