Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I am a 3rd year at uni' doing a minor in statistic

the hardest topic i done is linear programming: simplex method

i literally spend around 4 hours 30 mins trying to understand an example, i still can't solve it!

even the lecturer couldn't do/solve it

so, whats the hardest topic you done?

ReputationRep:
    I think in my 5th or 6th week of University, I was introduced to something known as the Orbit-Stabilizer Theorem (it's to do with groups acting on sets). Never during my entire degree was I as bewildered as when I first saw that!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wrangler)
    I think in my 5th or 6th week of University, I was introduced to something known as the Orbit-Stabilizer Theorem (it's to do with groups acting on sets). Never during my entire degree was I as bewildered as when I first saw that!

what year was this in?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by guest1984)
    what year was this in?
    2002, it was during my first year at University.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wrangler)
    2002, it was during my first year at University.
    maths at cam must be tough huh?

isn't cam the best uni in the world for maths? :yy:

ReputationRep:
    maths at cam must be tough huh?
    It can be quite hard going at times! :eek:
    isn't cam the best uni in the world for maths?
    I'd like to say yes - but I'll confess to being a little biased!

ReputationRep:
    I'm with Wrangler. He and I were in the same lectures, and totally confused us both. I still don't understand it.

The question is a bit ambigious. There are some topics I've done I've hated, found hard and never bothered to try to understand. Things like topological spaces in analysis.

The hardest subject I've done which I actually wanted to learn was Symmetries in Particle Physics las term. Much of it was interesting, and very important to what I want to do next year, but some of it was incredibly complicated if only because of the algebra involved was horrific.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AlphaNumeric)
    I'm with Wrangler. He and I were in the same lectures, and totally confused us both. I still don't understand it.

The question is a bit ambigious. There are some topics I've done I've hated, found hard and never bothered to try to understand. Things like topological spaces in analysis.

The hardest subject I've done which I actually wanted to learn was Symmetries in Particle Physics las term. Much of it was interesting, and very important to what I want to do next year, but some of it was incredibly complicated if only because of the algebra involved was horrific.
    yeah, i know what you mean, some topics i didn't enjoy, so didn't bother studying for it

i found that with some topics, the maths in it isn't hard, like some topic only uses only dividing, minus, multiply and adding. But the logic or prodedure in which you do a problem is very difficult and confusing

also, with complicated topic, you need to write on 10+ pages to solve it, when you can solve the topic using a easier method on 1 page. You still get the same answer!

also, if you make a small mistake, the whole answer is wrong, and you get more confused then when you first started!

ReputationRep:
    Probability, definitely probability. There are no words extreme enough to describe my hatred for it.
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    Riemannian Geometry was by far the hardest course I took at university. Compared to representation theory and even functional analysis it makes them look easy in comparison.

ReputationRep:
    Probability and combinatorics.

ReputationRep:
    addition. never understood it.

ReputationRep:
    Trying to understand what a scheme is. :eek:

Also bits of Galois Theory took me a long while to get my head around.

ReputationRep:
    I am a 3rd year at uni' doing a minor in statistic

the hardest topic i done is linear programming: simplex method

i literally spend around 4 hours 30 mins trying to understand an example, i still can't solve it!

even the lecturer couldn't do/solve it

so, whats the hardest topic you done?
    I always found Simplex pretty simple stuff - there was a routine to it, so I found it easy to pick up. I'm not sure what the hardest thing I've done thus far is, I'll need to think about it and get back to you.

ReputationRep:
    Hmm analysis seemed pretty impossible at first, it gets better though it seems ..

ReputationRep:
    Not in uni yet, but the hardest thing I've done in Mechanics (1 & 2). All parts. I just can't do it, so matter what I do. I can understad it, I know why it does what it does, but I just don't get it right when I do questions. No idea why.

ReputationRep:
    Currently in my first year at uni and the hardest maths I've come across has been in a module called 'Reasoning' here, involving sets and logic and stuff. It's essentially not that difficult, but I just found it so hard to get my head around as it's so different to anything I've encountered before. The notation in mechanics also irritates me to no end. Questions I could do easily at A-level seem quite tricky now!

dvs - I've always wondered what level of maths you study at? You seem to do everything!

ReputationRep:
    Decision Maths 2 was a bugger ... but that was probably because I hated D1. The thing I probably found the hardest at first was the C3 trig...very confusing, but it all became clear with lots and lots of practice. We've just started FP3 so I expect that will be the new contender for the hardest bit of maths we've done lol somewhere along the line

ReputationRep:
    FP4 in Aqa Further maths, its horrible. I got marks in the region of 90-100% for all my maths and further maths units so far, then went and got 24% on this last year :P

ReputationRep:
    P5- Intrinsic coordinates, seemes such a stupid complicated method.

Poll
Do you have any savings?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.