The Student Room Group

What do you lose from university when you take second year entry? (Scotland only)

This year, I am taking Scottish Advanced Highers in subjects appropriate to the course I have applied for (AH Maths and Physics for MEng Civil Engineering). This means I can apply for second year entry.

A Scottish university degree is a year longer than an English one, because traditionally, Scottish High Schools didn't have a Sixth Year and nobody did A-level qualifications. The first year at uni was designed to compensate for this, but nowadays, when most Scots (and all A-level) school pupils stay on for a sixth year/upper sixth, is there a point for it?

Basically, my question is: What do you lose from a Scottish university experience when you lose the first year. I should explain I am not very sociable.
If you're not sociable then you won't lose much from it. The thing is though, it's extremely hard from second year entry I've heard because you don't have the same course specific background as everyone else does.

The question I would ask you though is, why on earth would you choose second year entry, when the first year is FREE when you are a Scottish applicant (as is every other year). If you are more likely to fail if you do, why would you turn down the free year of education?
Reply 2
Original post by CurtainrailMan
This year, I am taking Scottish Advanced Highers in subjects appropriate to the course I have applied for (AH Maths and Physics for MEng Civil Engineering). This means I can apply for second year entry.

A Scottish university degree is a year longer than an English one, because traditionally, Scottish High Schools didn't have a Sixth Year and nobody did A-level qualifications. The first year at uni was designed to compensate for this, but nowadays, when most Scots (and all A-level) school pupils stay on for a sixth year/upper sixth, is there a point for it?

Basically, my question is: What do you lose from a Scottish university experience when you lose the first year. I should explain I am not very sociable.

You don't have your facts quite right about Scottish high schools not having a sixth year - they do and have for many many years! If they didn't then most pupils would be going to university at 16/17 instead of 17/18. They do not do A levels, they do either more highers, some advanced highers or a mixture of the two. Advanced highers are not comparable to A-levels in that they are not all available in all schools. Advanced highers are only put on if there is enough demand in that school and this could mean travelling to another school just for the classes for that subject.
Original post by AnnB
You don't have your facts quite right about Scottish high schools not having a sixth year - they do and have for many many years! If they didn't then most pupils would be going to university at 16/17 instead of 17/18. They do not do A levels, they do either more highers, some advanced highers or a mixture of the two. Advanced highers are not comparable to A-levels in that they are not all available in all schools. Advanced highers are only put on if there is enough demand in that school and this could mean travelling to another school just for the classes for that subject.

Yes, I know that - I meant that it was a historical hangover from when most people in Scotland didn't sit a CSYS. :mad:

I am aware of the fact that Scottish High Schools have a sixth year, mainly because I am enrolled in one.

But I do admit I come from a pretty top end state school where we take AH as a given.
Original post by Electronica
If you're not sociable then you won't lose much from it. The thing is though, it's extremely hard from second year entry I've heard because you don't have the same course specific background as everyone else does.

The question I would ask you though is, why on earth would you choose second year entry, when the first year is FREE when you are a Scottish applicant (as is every other year). If you are more likely to fail if you do, why would you turn down the free year of education?

Dunno, it just seemed from what I had been told that I would be bored out of my skull because almost everything I would be doing would be revision. There's not much new stuff in first year of an Engineering degree especially if you have done Maths, Physics and Technical the year before.

Thanks, though. I'll bear that in mind.
Dunno, it just seemed from what I had been told that I would be bored out of my skull because almost everything I would be doing would be revision. There's not much new stuff in first year of an Engineering degree especially if you have done Maths, Physics and Technical the year before.

Thanks, though. I'll bear that in mind.

I'm doing electrical and electronics engineering next year, and I started AH maths, chemistry and physics this year. I dropped out of sixth year because it was completely pointless, and I expect to learn a lot in my first year of university. I know for a fact that there is very little electronics in advanced higher physics for a start... Trust me, I don't think you will be bored in first year. :smile: What university do you plan on going to?
Reply 6

I'm no expert on Scottish education, but you would still be a fresher and can attend fresher week activities. But, there will already be friendship groups in second year, so it may be hard to make friends on your course.
Reply 7
Straight to second year is bloody difficult.

I tried it for a couple of weeks, and you will find that there is quite a substantial gap in knowledge that you will have to work hard to compensate for.
Original post by Electronica
I'm doing electrical and electronics engineering next year, and I started AH maths, chemistry and physics this year. I dropped out of sixth year because it was completely pointless, and I expect to learn a lot in my first year of university. I know for a fact that there is very little electronics in advanced higher physics for a start... Trust me, I don't think you will be bored in first year. :smile: What university do you plan on going to?

No idea. Unconditionals from Strathclyde, Dundee and HW, conditional for a B in Maths at Edinburgh. Haven't ruled out a single one yet!

Can I just say, fantastically appropriate username.
You certainly won't be bored out of your skull doing what is essentially revision. In first year engineering you'll probably have plenty of group projects, drawing work, software and labs - something you don't generally get with advanced highers. Although some of the theory will be quite familiar, but this'll mean you'll hopefully get better grades.

Even if you do find it boring going over some of the things you've already done then first year is still a good opportunity to enjoy the student lifestyle. I :took: drank and slept off my hangovers.
No idea. Unconditionals from Strathclyde, Dundee and HW, conditional for a B in Maths at Edinburgh. Haven't ruled out a single one yet!

Can I just say, fantastically appropriate username.

Awesome. :smile: I plan on attending Strathclyde.. and thanks. :biggrin:
I had the option to go second year cos I got a HNC. I rejected it though and went into first year and I just finished my first year today... best decision I ever made. There's so much you'll miss out on if you go straight to second.
Original post by badumdumtscht
I had the option to go second year cos I got a HNC. I rejected it though and went into first year and I just finished my first year today... best decision I ever made. There's so much you'll miss out on if you go straight to second.

Yes that does seem to be the consensus I am getting.

I think I am going to end up at Edinburgh, in which case I would be spending a third of my time doing something completely unrelated anyway.

Quick Reply

Latest