Turn on thread page Beta

is this overweight? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    im 5 foot 1 and i am 7 and a half stone. is this too heavy only my parents said im getting bigger and that i am too heavy...i dont think i am overweight but can anyone rectify this for me?

ReputationRep:
    You are ridiculous. The end.

You are at the 41st percentile, 50th percentile is average.
    So you are under the average weight, but a healthy weight.

Besides, its not what anyone else thinks you look like, its down to yourself and how you feel.

ReputationRep:
    work out your BMI then you'll know - http://www.cdc.gov/nccdphp/dnpa/bmi/calc-bmi.htm

I think you sound like you'd be in the normal range though!

ReputationRep:
    what they said. also dont let your parents do that to you!!

ReputationRep:
    i am 5 ft 1 and 8 stone and bit and you are not overwieght!!

ReputationRep:
    ok thank u!! i thought i wasnt overweight, i thought what my parents said last night was ridiculous! but then i started having second thoughts....but thank you everyone im not going to listen to them! hehe

ReputationRep:
    im 5ft 1 and 7st 4 and im pretty slim so i highly doubt you are overweight!

ReputationRep:
    No, def not! Nicole Richie apparently weighs around 6st, which is only a stone less than you and i think shes really underweight now. bmi is not an accurate measure of healthy weight, it doesnt measure body fat and doesnt take into account the amount of muscle you have. i think it can be used as a guide, but i wouldnt take it to seriously. just stick to a healthy diet, exercise, and you should maintain your weight. maybe you look overweight (though i doubt it) because you would benefit from toning up a little, try yoga or pilates, thats supposed to be good.

ReputationRep:
    No way!!! thats a real healthy weight for you!! parents can be mean, i used to be a bit underweight and my mum always used 2 go on about me being too thin, i've now put on a bit of weight and i'm now about 9 stone (i'm 5ft 9) and think this is pretty healthy, but she now says i'm fat!!ridiculous!! i can't win!!

ReputationRep:
    the theory that BMI goes on is that the taller you are, the more you weigh [and by their graphs it's a considerable more...]. but if you're like me, tall, and thinish, you come out as being "dangerously underweight". silly system. it only really is a flag for obesity, nothing else

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ariel4)
    No, def not! Nicole Richie apparently weighs around 6st, which is only a stone less than you and i think shes really underweight now. .
    Nicole Richie got told to put on weight or she'll die.

ReputationRep:
    You are not fat by any means. You can't be more than a size 8?

ReputationRep:
    No, that's not overweight by any means - you're absolutely fine.

ReputationRep:
    BMI 17.4.
    I am not dangerously underweight.

ReputationRep:
    BMI isn't a great guide tho... it doesn't take into account the difference between fat and muscle... the england rugby players are technically obese even tho they are superfit, because of how muscly they are

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SaccerZD)
    BMI isn't a great guide tho... it doesn't take into account the difference between fat and muscle... the england rugby players are technically obese even tho they are superfit, because of how muscly they are
    but the op was a girl :confused: our bodies are dif to men's in terms of muscle!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by viciouscircle)
    but the op was a girl :confused: our bodies are dif to men's in terms of muscle!
    Girls can have muscle too! And it still weighs more than fat as far as I know.

ReputationRep:
    Definitely ignore your parents on this...I'm 5ft 3 & 8st 7 so compared to everyone here I should probably lose weight lol but I'm completely happy with my body as it is. What you wear can affect how you look too...I've got an hourglass figure so if I wear baggy tops I seem to double in size!

ReputationRep:
    i just done my bmi and its 28.2..which is overweightt...............but see i dont think i look fat at all .. iweigh 12st6 a size 14/16 curvy bum and large chest 38d which makes up most of my weight so i think anyways can that be true ?
    JUST BE HAPPY FOR WHAT YOU ARE-I AM I DONT CARE WHAT PEOPLE THINK ABOUT MY SIZE ETC !

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Muppy)
    No way!!! thats a real healthy weight for you!! parents can be mean, i used to be a bit underweight and my mum always used 2 go on about me being too thin, i've now put on a bit of weight and i'm now about 9 stone (i'm 5ft 9) and think this is pretty healthy, but she now says i'm fat!!ridiculous!! i can't win!!
    I never want to meet your mum - I'm the same height as you and almost 12 stone! And I'm not at all fat either, you can see quite a lot of collarbone/rib etc. You just can't win with mums...goes to show how useless BMI is though, because I always come out as about 24-25 and then get told (on the electronic things, not by real people) that I should lose 10+ pounds...one time I was told that my 'goal weight' would be 9 stone, which on me would be emaciated, whereas on you it probably looks fine.

So to the OP - your weight sounds in proportion anyway, but treat the whole thing with caution!

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.