Poll: Which topic do you find the hardest?
Surds (5)
20.83%
Fractional and Negative Indices (0)
0%
Inverse Proportion (1)
4.17%
Completing the Square (2)
8.33%
Simultaneous Equations Involving a Quadratic (0)
0%
Sine and Cosine Rule (3)
12.5%
Graphs of Trigonometric Functions (2)
8.33%
Volume of Frustums (1)
4.17%
Vectors (7)
29.17%
Stratified Sampling (0)
0%
Histograms (3)
12.5%
recurring500
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
Which topic do you find hardest? I vote surds!

I've put the ones that I find hard in the poll, but please do comment on any others
theGeezus
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
It's not that bad, however remembering it all is going to be a task, because everything is going to be mumbo-jumbo come exam day.
Kitty.Cat
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I think surds are okay, once you know how to do them your ready

I voted sine and cosine rule but i wouldn't say that was too difficult, but i would say unit 3 is harder than units 1 and 2. I don't like shapes very much :P Circle theorems are the topic i find most difficult, i always forget to give proof and i can tell i'll end up forgetting them in the exam :/
burgerrr
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
3D trig, have to really think to fathom it!
dippers
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Vectors are the worse, I could do the really simple stuff but I was terrible at the rest in vectors. I came out with A though! Histograms are the easiest subject from the poll. Sine and cosine are alsofairly easy once you learn it thoroughly.
jwf13
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Anything involving 3D and applying algebra to worded problems. Took me about three months to get these :rolleyes:
Memphis93
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Inverse proportion, Vectors, and some of the 3D Trigonometry questions can be really tedious. Also some of the algebraic fractions ones are absolute killers especially when you stumble across them in the exam and keep trying to figure out how to simplify horrendous expressions! Total blank out.
Starrstruck
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Definetley vectors, it took me at leats 2 or 3 weeks before I finally understood it. I hate it so much!
jennifer.tariah
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Vectors, Are so complicated! simply don't know why i'd need to know it & how will it help me in the future?
Cubic
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Rearranging forumula such as the lens formula.

e.g Make u the subject of

\frac{1}{u}+\frac{1}{v}=\frac{1}  {f}
Tunechi
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
wait till A level Vectors :'(
Cubic
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Tunechi)
wait till A level Vectors :'(
Do you do A-level maths now?

What's the difference between this and GCSE vectors and which module are you referring to?

PS: I remember you commenting on that parallel universe thread I was posting on yesterday.
Tunechi
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Cubic)
Do you do A-level maths now?

What's the difference between this and GCSE vectors and which module are you referring to?

PS: I remember you commenting on that parallel universe thread I was posting on yesterday.
I finnished it and got an A.....however i think I scraped an A, this was my hardest topic I didnt answer the question in the exam.I did Cambridge International A levels. Here is a paper from november 2009 http://www.xtremepapers.com/CIE/Inte..._w09_qp_32.pdf.... question 10 is the vector question.There are also other questions you can look at.

I do not know which exam board you will do your exams from so I don't know if you will do this.

Gcse vectors are nothing like A2 vectors, in A2 vectors you work with planes in space and distances and angles between the planes, and you learn other things
Cubic
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Tunechi)
I finnished it and got an A.....however i think I scraped an A, this was my hardest topic I didnt answer the question in the exam.I did Cambridge International A levels. Here is a paper from november 2009 http://www.xtremepapers.com/CIE/Inte..._w09_qp_32.pdf.... question 10 is the vector question.There are also other questions you can look at.

I do not know which exam board you will do your exams from so I don't know if you will do this.

Gcse vectors are nothing like A2 vectors, in A2 vectors you work with planes in space and distances and angles between the planes, and you learn other things
Thanks for the reply. I wish I could start college now, much more interesting.
ayla.h
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
SURDS.

They should be the easiest thing- but whilst I could do the more difficult stuff- I still could not get my head around the simple abominations- that are surds. btw- i haven't done maths for a-level- so i shall never know how to do them. >_>
Tunechi
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Cubic)
Thanks for the reply. I wish I could start college now, much more interesting.

True... A level maths is amazing, best subject I ever took. Calculus is brilliant!
JohnyTheLad
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Never really understood those prime questions, and those frequency density nonsense.
recurring500
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
This is really interesting, I had no idea that Vectors would be ranked the hardest!
ghhhhhhhhhh
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by jennifer.tariah)
Vectors, Are so complicated! simply don't know why i'd need to know it & how will it help me in the future?
If you work in engineering, it is useful to represent lines of action as vectors. You may have heard of scalars and vectors in your physics lessons. Mechanics aside, no subject is meant to help you for the future, maths the least so
SmartUnicorn
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
functions and iterations (╥﹏╥)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What do you want most from university virtual open days and online events?

I want to be able to watch in my own time rather than turn up live (179)
28.59%
I want to hear more about the specifics of the course (104)
16.61%
I want to be able to dip in and dip out of lots of different sessions (58)
9.27%
I want to meet current students (52)
8.31%
I want to meet academics and the people that will be teaching me (50)
7.99%
I want to have a taster lecture or workshop to see what the teaching is like (126)
20.13%
My parents/guardians are more interested than me to be honest (37)
5.91%
Other things – I'll tell you in the thread (20)
3.19%

Watched Threads