The Student Room Group

Easiest GCSE subject?

Scroll to see replies

I'm taking a different tack from you all and saying Media Studies! All you really need to do is memorize a few theories, and link them to whatever you analyse- got an A* in the Jan exams.
Original post by crimson.threads
I'm taking a different tack from you all and saying Media Studies! All you really need to do is memorize a few theories, and link them to whatever you analyse- got an A* in the Jan exams.

Is Media Studies similar to Film Studies because I'm doing it next year and if it is then No because you have to analyse films,I haven't started Film Studies yet but did analyse a film in English Literature and it was tough but Film Studies does alllow you to write what you want,so open questions about how you would make a film,not the analysing bit.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Dalek1099
Is Film Studies similar to Film Studies because I'm doing it next year and if it is then No because you have to analyse films,I haven't started Film Studies yet but did analyse a film in English Literature and it was tough but Film Studies does alllow you to write what you want,so open questions about how you would make a film,not the analysing bit.

Is... Film studies similar to film studies? Yes, they are, because you've mentioned the same subject twice?

I'm assuming you mean is Film Studies similar to Media Studies? And no, they're not. They are two very different subjects- I was seriously considering taking Media Studies to Uni level. Media Studies is that- the study of media. Films make up a bit, but there's equal amounts of the curriculum dedicated to TV, graphic novels, music videos, the internet etc.

Film Studies is what you've been stating- it is the study of Film, but that doesn't mean that Media theories can't be applied to film; after all, film is a form of media!

Erm... I've had experience with analyzing films in Media and English class. Let me say this- English class takes different priority over different aspects of the film; probably more about the plot, it's implications, how it's foreshadowed in the film? Media/Film analysis would be more concerned with the mise-en-scene (the screenshot of a frame in a film) and the technical aspects, as well the genre conventions of the film.

And no, no! You can't actually snowplow into a film analysis and 'write about anything'- if you do, you're liable to describe the plot, rather than the TECHNICAL side, which is what Film + Media Studies are concerned with (though Media probably to a lesser extent). If you are doing Film Studies though, a large chunk of the GCSE mark should be set aside for a practical project (I did a graphic novel, since I did MEDIA Studies.)

With that said, I have many classmates who haven't taken Media Studies for GCSE and are opting for it for IB- I wouldn't worry too much! If you've got a good teacher, then Film Studies (or Media Studies, not sure which you're doing) will be fun!

Yeah, went off on a bit of a tangent; cos I wasn't too sure what you were asking, sorry.
Is... Film studies similar to film studies? Yes, they are, because you've mentioned the same subject twice?

I'm assuming you mean is Film Studies similar to Media Studies? And no, they're not. They are two very different subjects- I was seriously considering taking Media Studies to Uni level. Media Studies is that- the study of media. Films make up a bit, but there's equal amounts of the curriculum dedicated to TV, graphic novels, music videos, the internet etc.

Film Studies is what you've been stating- it is the study of Film, but that doesn't mean that Media theories can't be applied to film; after all, film is a form of media!

Erm... I've had experience with analyzing films in Media and English class. Let me say this- English class takes different priority over different aspects of the film; probably more about the plot, it's implications, how it's foreshadowed in the film? Media/Film analysis would be more concerned with the mise-en-scene (the screenshot of a frame in a film) and the technical aspects, as well the genre conventions of the film.

And no, no! You can't actually snowplow into a film analysis and 'write about anything'- if you do, you're liable to describe the plot, rather than the TECHNICAL side, which is what Film + Media Studies are concerned with (though Media probably to a lesser extent). If you are doing Film Studies though, a large chunk of the GCSE mark should be set aside for a practical project (I did a graphic novel, since I did MEDIA Studies.)

With that said, I have many classmates who haven't taken Media Studies for GCSE and are opting for it for IB- I wouldn't worry too much! If you've got a good teacher, then Film Studies (or Media Studies, not sure which you're doing) will be fun!

Yeah, went off on a bit of a tangent; cos I wasn't too sure what you were asking, sorry.

50% of the Film Studies will be coursework and for the write about anything-I meant questions in the exam that tell you to think up a production of your choice.
Original post by Dalek1099
50% of the Film Studies will be coursework and for the write about anything-I meant questions in the exam that tell you to think up a production of your choice.

Haha that's a lot clearer! Well I can't really help you on that, though we did have a question in our exam where we had to create a music magazine- the year before us had websites- so I guess the basic revision structure is the same. Basically, you just have to practice doing it, and go into the exam hall with several loose plans or ideas, which can be done by a through brainstorming session.

Getting your teacher to make the questions like that will also help you tons, I had an awesome teacher, and he kept on marking my stuff, so don't forget them. Maybe reading film summaries online will help too?

How're you finding Film Studies?
Haha that's a lot clearer! Well I can't really help you on that, though we did have a question in our exam where we had to create a music magazine- the year before us had websites- so I guess the basic revision structure is the same. Basically, you just have to practice doing it, and go into the exam hall with several loose plans or ideas, which can be done by a through brainstorming session.

Getting your teacher to make the questions like that will also help you tons, I had an awesome teacher, and he kept on marking my stuff, so don't forget them. Maybe reading film summaries online will help too?

How're you finding Film Studies?

I don't do Film Studies till next year.
Original post by asas78978
Math, finished it in 2 months, 99% A*

Maths
Reply 67
Original post by LordBradburn
Maths

That leads to the hardest subject I ever done - English, got a B. :/
Reply 68
English Literature.
ICT.

All you need to do is read, and follow instructions. And if you can't do that, then you shouldn't do GCSEs.

But it is mind-numbingly boring and extremely tedious.
Original post by LordBradburn
Maths

Actually Math is still correct, but it is the American spelling. Maths is the British-English spelling. So really, you're both right, but you're just being picky. :wink:
ICT by technicality (though CitShip/RE comes close behind) although since the government finally work up and realised the UK's ICT qualifications are worth less than toilet paperm they've decided to down-grade everyone regardless of the fact that the course specification has been fully achieved by a student.

To those that say Maths is easy - please tell me you're sniffing some magical Maths dust. Maths is one of my worst subjects and I've stupidly taken it for A-Level. Cosine rule, rearranging formulas, circle theorems, I always forget them and always make a cock up!
Reply 72
For me it was citizenship, i wrote a load of rubbish down on the paper and BOOM, i got a B ^_^
Original post by DeathByBSOD
All sciences are hard for you? I cant even manage maths! got a C in the november exam.. I dont get it cuz im good at physics but bad at maths? its like saying i can listen to english but can speak it!! How do you do it? How can i get an A* in maths lol.

I am exactly the same!

In my exams, A* all around for Physics. I even full marked the hardest paper (I am very happy!).

And yet Maths, 2 B's so far. Even after a re-take, first paper scored LOWER and second paper only moved up a few marks despite ruthless revision.
Original post by AboveTheLine
I am exactly the same!

In my exams, A* all around for Physics. I even full marked the hardest paper (I am very happy!).

And yet Maths, 2 B's so far. Even after a re-take, first paper scored LOWER and second paper only moved up a few marks despite ruthless revision.

Same situation but reverse for me-I don't understand how to get more than a B(low B for P1) in Physics,(79/80 UMS) for Unit 1 in Maths though-so easy.
Reply 75
Really, Maths lol. I found maths easy, but it has to be science/re/ict, I was doing a really easy ict board finished the whole course in the last 2 weeks or so without doing any outside of class.
Original post by AboveTheLine
I am exactly the same!

Amen, Bro :smile: Were both good at physics but crappy in maths lol!

Good bye physicist dreams =*(
History!
I hardly did any work during my GCSE History, and I learned everything the day before the exam with no exam practise, and got an A :biggrin:
Reply 78
Maths for me was by far the easiest GCSE exam i have ever done..
Achieved an A* in early entry (year 10)..

Now struggling to get a C in A Level maths :P
^ Yes!

I always just got Maths at GCSE, didn't take any revision what so ever, just learning it once was fine. Now A Level Maths is going to be an awful struggle :')

Quick Reply

Latest