Is SOAS prestigous? Watch

Mos Def
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by cheesecakebobby)
It would be terrible if after spending 3 years studying in a great economics department with fantastic teachers, at a university you really loved in a brilliant location, you found out it wasn't very prestigious. It would be like you wasted your life.
Well if i learnt a good amount of stuff, then no it wouldn't be a waste. But if i don't end up getting a job and have to work in Tescos, that would be quite frustrating, meh :p:
Mos Def
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by chex)
Well, it's been consistently ranked highly - it fluctuates a bit but that's just 'coz it's a small uni - for a couple years they were ranked 4th in the UK, I think it's 10th or something now.

Also, anyone I've ever met that was involved in economics - UN staff e.g. - has always commented on SOAS being an excellent school.
Encouraging stuff!
cheesecakebobby
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by T_Bag)
Well if i learnt a good amount of stuff, then no it wouldn't be a waste. But if i don't end up getting a job and have to work in Tescos, that would be quite frustrating, meh :p:
SOAS graduates have the highest average starting salary of any university in the country. Happy? :rolleyes:
Mos Def
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by cheesecakebobby)
SOAS graduates have the highest average starting salary of any university in the country. Happy? :rolleyes:
:rolleyes:
drive like june
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
yeah but try telling your mates what SOAS stands for. all i got was tribal studies what? and oh that sounds like "sore ass". sometimes i say university of london just to shut their traps. but then again my parents' co-workers at the asian development bank agree its a fantastic university; some of which actually went there. so it really depends on if people are in the loop of what SOAS is known for or not. my friends (although attending prestigous US universities themselves) unfortunately aren't
mezitli
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by drive like june)
yeah but try telling your mates what SOAS stands for. all i got was tribal studies what? and oh that sounds like "sore ass". sometimes i say university of london just to shut their traps. but then again my parents' co-workers at the asian development bank agree its a fantastic university; some of which actually went there. so it really depends on if people are in the loop of what SOAS is known for or not. my friends (although attending prestigous US universities themselves) unfortunately aren't
I am a first year applicant and i did not know there was such a combined degree as Politics and Economics at soas

BSc Economics

SOAS
Mos Def
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by drive like june)
haha yeah i guess only people in the know will know.
drive like june
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Originally Posted by mezitli
I am a first year applicant and i did not know there was such a combined degree as Politics and Economics at soas
haha well now you know
MLM
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Do you go to IS Dive like June? :-) I lived in Manila, but went to the French School (sorry really off topic I know but I can't be bothered sending a private message...)
MLM
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Dad also worked at the ADB!!
mezitli
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
hey guys don't go off the topic pls
MLM
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Soooorry!!
mezitli
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
it s fine
shi
Report 11 years ago
Do you think that Oriental Studies at SOAS may be more prestigeous than at Cambridge?
cheesecakebobby
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
People are stupid and as such, cleaning toilets at cambridge is more pretigious than anything else in the country.
PrinceOfCats
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
apparantly the guardian is sold at soas for 40p or somethin :s
Considering it's <35p at every other university in the UK, the Guardian must really hate SOAS.
Socrates
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Independent and Guardian are sold for 25p.
cheesecakebobby
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
How much is the Daily Mail?
Socrates
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
They're the only daily papers sold.
drive like june
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
really? why is it cheaper at SOAS?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• SOAS University of London
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Sat, 26 Jan '19
    Sat, 9 Mar '19
    Wed, 29 May '19

Do you think the internet has made political discussion more aggressive?

Yes (55)
98.21%
No (1)
1.79%

Watched Threads