Do some people DESERVE to be unemployed?

Watch
This discussion is closed.
starry
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
I believe that unemployment is not entirely a bad thing.

Some people just have no work ethic and it's just a waste of resources, tax payers' money and everything else to find them jobs or give them welfare benefits.
kildare
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by starry)

Some people just have no work ethic and it's just a waste of resources, tax payers' money and everything else to find them jobs or give them welfare benefits.
'o.k.'
happysunshine
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago

No one deserves to be unemployed :rolleyes:
ben2111
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago

because you have "no work ethic"? If you don´t you´re unemployed anyway, otherwise you seem to have some.
thefish_uk
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by happysunshine)
No one deserves to be unemployed :rolleyes:
If they were bad enough to deserve to be unemployed, they'd be so bad they'd be coming to your house to nick the wheels from your car.
starry
Rep:
?
Coz' some get paid to do nothing.
Joey_Johns
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Everyone has a calling in life. If its to be a top business men or a refuse collector (politically correct term). Some people dont need to be employed though, depends on your circumstances i.e. a nomadic herder in Kenya (I thought i'd put in an extreme).
ben2111
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Coz' some get paid to do nothing.
Examples please...
starry
Rep:
?
(Original post by ben2111)
Examples please...
The welfare system.
serious narb
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
yes some people do....
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
The welfare system.
Is it the pensioners you have a problem with? Or those claiming invalidity benefit? Or perhaps those claiming Job Seekers Allowance? Or of is Child benefit and income support (both of which can be claimed by people who're working but on very low wages)?
edufly
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago

your an ass
starry
Rep:
?
(Original post by eddiedaboss)
your an ass
????
kildare
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
????
You are an ass
starry
Rep:
?
(Original post by piginapoke)
The system is too easy to play. Some people doss around for years with no intention of getting a job. If you're able bodied you should have to do something for your £45 or £55 per week, like keeping the streets clean or fixing roads.
Precisely! Some people take advantage of the system. I'm not saying the system should be abolished, but it definitely should be improved so that these bums don't go wasting resources that could be better used.

I respect those who actually try to find work, even if it is menial and difficult. At least they have some dignity and the will to be self sufficient.
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Precisely! Some people take advantage of the system. I'm not saying the system should be abolished, but it definitely should be improved so that these bums don't go wasting resources that could be better used.

I respect those who actually try to find work, even if it is menial and difficult. At least they have some dignity and the will to be self sufficient.
So you don't think the removal of bog-standard dole and the introduction of JSA was an improvement? You don't think that the introduction of tax credits which means it actually pays people to get back into work was an improvment?

Have you ever been unemployed?

And what further "improvements" do you think would be possible (and bear in mind that as the number of people claiming dole has dropped over the last few yrs the number claiming invalidity has risen - if you make the dole system any more rigourous you risk people removing invalidity and disability benefits to try to catch these "bums")
Howard
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago

How long can one stay "unemployed" in the UK? It seems almost indefinately.

I like the US system. Six months unemployment (extended to nine right now) and that's your lot. Work or starve. Seems fair to me. Everyone can get a job in nine months....no excuses.
john !!
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago

Being unemployed is not a punishment with our social security. We should get rid of Unemployment benefits, or as they optimisticly like to call it "job seeker's allowance", when the reality is there are people with no intention to work and are happy to live off the state.

Get rid of this, and they will have to work, or starve. Social security is good when people are honest and fair, but there are too many abusers of the system. The money doesn't come from nowhere, these people are living off taxpayer's money. And it would work wonders for the illegal immigration problems.
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
JSA is only paid for 6 months and on the condition that you prove that they are actively seeking work and they *have* to take any job that the benefits agency/job agency find for them. JSA is £54 a week for a single adult.

Income support is only available to people *not* looking for work in the following catagories:
# bringing up or caring for a child under 16 on her/his own. A lone parent who makes a new claim for income support will be visited and asked to complete a maintenance form for child support
# unable to work because s/he is caring for a seriously disabled or ill person
# unable to work because of ill health or disability

Income support has no time limit and is £54 a week for a single adult.
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by piginapoke)
There are definitely people 'skiving' and hiding behind non-existant disabilities. The system is too soft on those people. Doctors hand out sick notes too easily. People should have to prove beyond doubt that they are disabled, otherwise you just get people going to the doctor's with 'oh my back...'.
And how are they going to prove this? The David Brent technique - set off the fire alarm and see if they run out the building :rolleyes:
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What are you most likely to do if you don't get the grades you were expecting?

Go through Clearing (180)
38.22%
Take autumn exams (145)
30.79%
Look for a job (16)
3.4%
Consider an apprenticeship (21)
4.46%
Take a year out (81)
17.2%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (28)
5.94%

Watched Threads