Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pencil Queen)
    So you don't think the removal of bog-standard dole and the introduction of JSA was an improvement? You don't think that the introduction of tax credits which means it actually pays people to get back into work was an improvment?

Have you ever been unemployed?

And what further "improvements" do you think would be possible (and bear in mind that as the number of people claiming dole has dropped over the last few yrs the number claiming invalidity has risen - if you make the dole system any more rigourous you risk people removing invalidity and disability benefits to try to catch these "bums")
    Hear hear

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by piginapoke)
    Sounds reasonable. Here, the Job Centre can't force you to take any old job. They can only suggest employment in a field you suggest. So, I might go along and say I only want to work as a pig farmer. As pig farming jobs rarely if ever come up on their system, I could stay unemployed indefinitely, and they couldn't even make me apply for a cow farming job as I've no experience with cows.
    Or as Roy Chubby Brown said 'an astranaut......and not prepared to travel"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thefish_uk)
    If they were bad enough to deserve to be unemployed, they'd be so bad they'd be coming to your house to nick the wheels from your car.
    Sorry I mean no one deserves the luxury to be unemployed.

ReputationRep:
    Rather difficult to police because as I've said doctors will give out sicknotes to practically anybody. Perhaps a specially appointed panel?
    The only disability suffered by a lot of folks is "lazy person disease"

ReputationRep:
    My economics teacher told us today he thinks Britain is currently at almost 100% employment, that is employment under the economic definition that you're only unemployed if you're looking for a job and can't find one. I'd agree with him, there is always going to be a reserve pool as such, people unemployed frictionally, people who have skills which are not in demand and are in the process of updating. I'm not worried about unemployment in Britain at all.

ReputationRep:
    employment seems ok but i'm sure the careers service were telling us that there are fewer and fewer graduate jobs at the moment. Also if you are over 50 and trying to find a job its near impossible ebcause there is so much agism at work

ReputationRep:
    Most people are unemployed because they didn't get decent A level grades and so couldn't get into decent universities.

ReputationRep:
    Labour's answer to unemployment figures. Give under 19s EMA to study to GNVQ Foundation thus improve the employment figures.

As for the subject matter in hand nobody deserves to be unemployed but lazy underclass scum deserve to be shot quite frankly.

Disclaimer: I'm in a very anti PC mood.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by starry)
    I believe that unemployment is not entirely a bad thing.

Some people just have no work ethic and it's just a waste of resources, tax payers' money and everything else to find them jobs or give them welfare benefits.
    Well I have no idea how the welfare or unemployment system is set up over there, but our's does'nt really do much to help anyone anymore. You get 5 yrs of benifits max and only 3 of them can you get if your not working the other 2 you have to have a job which puts you over the income limit and you can't get the remaining assistance anyway, unemployment compensation is just as bad, you can only get it for certain reasons and for only 6 months. Unemployment is a bad thing, and our government isn't doing a thing to fix the problem over here.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    sweeping my chip papers up.
    You call the unemployed lazy scroungers and yet expect them to pick up your rubbish?

ReputationRep:
    I have a question...

If a person in their 40's who earns a reasonable wage, say £30k-£40k, finds themselves made redundant, would you expect them to take on a cleaning/road working job when they undoubtably find it very difficult to find another job in the same field?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by starry)
    I believe that unemployment is not entirely a bad thing.

Some people just have no work ethic and it's just a waste of resources, tax payers' money and everything else to find them jobs or give them welfare benefits.
    yes

ReputationRep:
    i think that beggers can't be choosers. even if there isn't a job in your desired field, there are always jobs available doing something. i would rather know that i worked hard at something than nothing at all. i would take pride in having an honest and self gained living as opposed to giving up and taking the easy way out by applying for benefits and the dole.

who says that you have to stay in the same job? its not against the law to look for the job that you want whilst employed somewhere else. we have a huge unemployment problem over here but i think that unfortunately, more often than not its a case of 'won't work' rather than 'can't work'.

ReputationRep:
    I imagine it would be hard to swallow your pride and take a massive pay cut and go into a job with next to no job satisfaction where almost everyone looks down on you. Your entire lifestyle would most likely change, too.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.