Computer Science: Glasgow vs Strathclyde

Watch this thread
A Nuclear Error
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Hey, I've applied to do Computer Science at either Glasgow or Strathclyde Uni, and have received unconditional offers from each university. After interviews, open days and the like, I am still struggling to decide between the two.

Glasgow's campus seems to be better overall, and its library looks to be really good, but it's course structure with the extra subjects seems to be a bit iffy to me. Glasgow looks to be better in terms of student satisfaction as well when I think about it.

With Strathclyde, I get a work experience placement that Glasgow seems to lack from the looks of it, and is easier for me to get to overall, but even then it's just the subway that's the difference essentially.

Another question I have is that Strathclyde offers an MEng degree whereas with Glasgow offers an MSci, what difference does this make?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
jsinger
Badges: 7
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 6 years ago
Did you also post this question in the Glasgow forum? (I'm from Glasgow, so I would hate to intrude on a Strathclyde forum :-)
Aaron8976
Badges: 8
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
I know this thread is old but I want to put this out there even if I have no idea if this still matters. I'm going into third year at Strathclyde and I hate to put anyone off but it's utter shite to say the least, the only reason I stay is because of the massive debt I'm already in (I'm an English student). Ask the CS students at Strathclyde and the vast majority will tell you they regret not taking that Glasgow uni offer or applying to that uni, the lecturers over here are lazy, bored of their own subject, uninspiring and simply do not care, our facilities are **** poor with us not even having our own actual tutorial rooms or lecture rooms (we borrow from other courses) and everything taught is outdated and taught horribly bad.

The head guys at Strathclyde do not care for CS, Strathclyde invests most of its money into the business facilities and pharmacy facilities while CS students remain in a pre world war 2 looking tower with old computers and free software; in fact the only actual nice part of Strathclyde is towards the library where Strathclyde takes all of its pictures to advertise to new students.

During our first day we were told: "We hope to provide you with a love for learning", the opposite has occurred, it's depressing, dirty, and downright ugly, I've been into computing since I was 11 and have been programming since 13, by the time I hit second year I had already started to hate my chosen subjects based on the boring lecturers teaching it. Complaints have been passed onto them but constant excuses are made and the course will never improve and we will always remain in that **** tower overlooking the rest of Strathclyde's meagre facilities.

tl;dr? Run away, get as far away as possible from Strathclyde University if you wish to take CS or SE (They study the same things, and you only have one programming class).
mrchristofer
Badges: 3
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Aaron8976)
I know this thread is old but I want to put this out there even if I have no idea if this still matters. I'm going into third year at Strathclyde and I hate to put anyone off but it's utter shite to say the least.
Aaron8976

huh, thanks for this, it's hard to find anything specific about CS/SE for strathclyde. I'm always hearing how amazing the uni itself is, especially with it's business courses, so I applied and got an offer from them for Software Engineering.
I have to decide between them paying the EU rate (same as scottish rate) or go to University of Liverpool (Computer Science with Software Development) and pay substantially more. Ah, I'll do more looking but I would like to know if your opinion has changed, Thanks
Aaron8976
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by mrchristofer)
Aaron8976

huh, thanks for this, it's hard to find anything specific about CS/SE for strathclyde. I'm always hearing how amazing the uni itself is, especially with it's business courses, so I applied and got an offer from them for Software Engineering.
I have to decide between them paying the EU rate (same as scottish rate) or go to University of Liverpool (Computer Science with Software Development) and pay substantially more. Ah, I'll do more looking but I would like to know if your opinion has changed, Thanks
Hey man,

My opinion hasn't changed, the department is still pretty bad. The university prides itself on business and pharmacy. Department has a tiny budget and the only change we've had in 4 years is that they gave us microwaves. Outside of the lectures, there is nothing that the department has to offer, you'll not get appointed 1 on 1 time with any lecturer nor someone checking on you.

Don't think about the money, go check out Liverpool.

On a positive note, the guys attending there are pretty funny and you can have laughs about how bad it is.

Aaron
mrchristofer
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
Hey man,

My opinion hasn't changed, the department is still pretty bads.

Aaron
Thanks for the reply man. Yeah, I'll take this into account when making my decision, I do software development at A level and it's the same thing, the class is basically self taught. It only works as we all chose to do it because we were interested in programming and all had some kind of experience beforehand.
I'm sure though if you did need help with something, you could find help from one of the staff, and worst case you'd have to ask a student, but thats basically what I do nowadays and as long as you all get along it is still an enjoyable experience as a whole.
As of now, I'd put Liverpool as my firm choice, but if I find someone that does the course and really enjoys/recommends it then I'll likely change my mind.
Blackstar152
Badges: 6
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
I currently hold offers for CS at Glasgow and Strath. This has been enlightening as I was strongly considering Strath. Do you or anyone else know people doing CS at Glasgow? How do they find it etc.
Aaron8976
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Blackstar152)
I currently hold offers for CS at Glasgow and Strath. This has been enlightening as I was strongly considering Strath. Do you or anyone else know people doing CS at Glasgow? How do they find it etc.
Yeah, I do happen to know a couple, you'll meet people in Strathclyde who have friends in Glasgow and so on. It's a pretty similar course, few differences is that they did Python when we did Java in first year if I remember, the stuff taught is pretty similar. They also do Javascript/NodeJS/Socket in Glasgow during the second year. They eventually go onto Java too.

Glasgow is Hogwarts, you'll get a wider range of people there, hipster and whatnot (I actually rent a flat near that university just because I prefer the area), a lot more ballroom events, I guess a better student experience depending on what you're looking for
Aaron8976
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by mrchristofer)
Thanks for the reply man. Yeah, I'll take this into account when making my decision, I do software development at A level and it's the same thing, the class is basically self taught. It only works as we all chose to do it because we were interested in programming and all had some kind of experience beforehand.
I'm sure though if you did need help with something, you could find help from one of the staff, and worst case you'd have to ask a student, but thats basically what I do nowadays and as long as you all get along it is still an enjoyable experience as a whole.
As of now, I'd put Liverpool as my firm choice, but if I find someone that does the course and really enjoys/recommends it then I'll likely change my mind.
Worst case scenario, you use Stackoverflow
Blackstar152
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
Yeah, I do happen to know a couple, you'll meet people in Strathclyde who have friends in Glasgow and so on. It's a pretty similar course, few differences is that they did Python when we did Java in first year if I remember, the stuff taught is pretty similar. They also do Javascript/NodeJS/Socket in Glasgow during the second year. They eventually go onto Java too.

Glasgow is Hogwarts, you'll get a wider range of people there, hipster and whatnot (I actually rent a flat near that university just because I prefer the area), a lot more ballroom events, I guess a better student experience depending on what you're looking for

Thanks for the reply Still wondering what I should do. I like that Strath is in the centre if I'm honest. But if I will enjoy studying in Glasgow more then I guess that's the more important thing! Do any folk studying CS at Glasgow have similar complaints like yours about the department being lackluster? etc.
Blackstar152
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
Strathclyde seems like it will be a cheaper investment overall also. Cheaper accommodation + accommodation grant. But at the end of the day i also want the best experience. Ibdont really care what the building is like or the community if the degrees are similar at the core level i will probably end up leaning for strath all things considered
CallumCollie
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
If what you're saying is true Aaron, why are they rated very similarly in student satisfaction and course quality on comparison websites like Which? for example?
Aaron8976
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by CallumCollie)
If what you're saying is true Aaron, why are they rated very similarly in student satisfaction and course quality on comparison websites like Which? for example?
Haha, I enjoy reading back on my rants! I'm just about to graduate but if I had to say why it's because people sorta grow with the university and want their university to be seen as the best.

I won't lie, the Computing department is lacking (A computer science graduate will study the EXACT SAME as a software engineer, the only difference is the software engineer does a work placement.

Glasgow University and Strathclyde follow a very similar curriculum, in fact, most universities do as they aim to tick off all of the requirements for one to join the Chartered Engineers. Pick Glasgow for the views and diversity, or go to Strathclyde for parties and well, probably a faster-growing university (They invest a lot, the university feels a lot like a business and they have the money to do it due to their Pharmacy school and other investments (They invest a good amount in startups from Strathclyde)). I'd say Strathclyde has the more difficult first year (Java vs Python), but you also get the chance for exam exemption (Probably one reason for high student satisfaction) to make up for it (Get exemption for first 3 years by getting an average of 70%+ through all class tests and assignments)
TonicCrane
Badges: 4
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
Haha, I enjoy reading back on my rants! I'm just about to graduate but if I had to say why it's because people sorta grow with the university and want their university to be seen as the best.

I won't lie, the Computing department is lacking (A computer science graduate will study the EXACT SAME as a software engineer, the only difference is the software engineer does a work placement.

Glasgow University and Strathclyde follow a very similar curriculum, in fact, most universities do as they aim to tick off all of the requirements for one to join the Chartered Engineers. Pick Glasgow for the views and diversity, or go to Strathclyde for parties and well, probably a faster-growing university (They invest a lot, the university feels a lot like a business and they have the money to do it due to their Pharmacy school and other investments (They invest a good amount in startups from Strathclyde)). I'd say Strathclyde has the more difficult first year (Java vs Python), but you also get the chance for exam exemption (Probably one reason for high student satisfaction) to make up for it (Get exemption for first 3 years by getting an average of 70%+ through all class tests and assignments)
I am hoping to go to Strathclyde for Computer Science/Software Engineering
Just want to ask you questions since your studying their
1. Are you always in Livingston tower for your lectures.
2. Do most computer science graduates at Strathclyde get computer-related jobs when they graduate?
3. Are you studying a Bachelor In computer science or a Meng in Computer Science?
3. Are most people Scottish or International (or English students) for computer science
4. Is there anything else good apart from the microwaves 😂

Thanks
powbao
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
Has anyone got any updates on Strathclyde's computer science department, from personal experience or from what they have read elsewhere, thanks.By this I mean the teaching, lecturers and facilities.
Jemz985
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Joining to know if there's any difference in the computing science section in strathclyde.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Were exams easier or harder than you expected?

Easier (42)
26.25%
As I expected (52)
32.5%
Harder (59)
36.88%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (7)
4.38%

Watched Threads