TSR Hindu Society Watch

moment of truth
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I just saw a documentary called Kumare, which is the story of a man who impersonates a Guru to see whether people will still follow him or not. Most of his teachings are made up and he subtly tells his followers during the film that he is a fake (he reveals it at the end). The film highlights how easy it is for someone to become a Guru and have people follow him. His main intention was to show people that they are able to be happy from themselves, and they do not need anyone else to tell guide them, which is true, although he still obviously deceived them throughout which is still wrong.

Imagine the amount of people in the world that are actually following a fake Guru, just so they can have a sense of belonging. It's quite horrifying.
nucdev
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by moment of truth)
I just saw a documentary called Kumare, which is the story of a man who impersonates a Guru to see whether people will still follow him or not. Most of his teachings are made up and he subtly tells his followers during the film that he is a fake (he reveals it at the end). The film highlights how easy it is for someone to become a Guru and have people follow him. His main intention was to show people that they are able to be happy from themselves, and they do not need anyone else to tell guide them, which is true, although he still obviously deceived them throughout which is still wrong.

Imagine the amount of people in the world that are actually following a fake Guru, just so they can have a sense of belonging. It's quite horrifying.
You may find this video useful:

SunDun111
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
This threat is dead, where are all the hindus at?
TheALevelStudent
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by SunDun111)
This threat is dead, where are all the hindus at?
Liven it up a bit:

I got a question, what does hinduism say about the four ages: satjug, treta, dwapar and kaljug
SunDun111
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by TheALevelStudent)
Liven it up a bit:

I got a question, what does hinduism say about the four ages: satjug, treta, dwapar and kaljug
i'm not too clued up on it, but I'll tell you what I know, Kaliyug is supposed to be around 432,000 years long I think at the end of it God is meant to destroy the universe after this and then it will be recreated again. KaliYug started when Lord Krishna was born around 5000 years ago. It will end with Kalki coming to earth, at the end of this age they will be lots of sin, they will be no more religion people say and Kalki (the 10th Avatar of Vishnu) will come down to end the darkness and bring about the light that was once in satyug. i may be wrong tbh I aren't too sure I learned about it a few years ago, What does Sikhism say? Ps have you excepted your offer for birmingham?
nucdev
Rep:
?
Liven it up a bit:

Technically the concept of the Four Yugas comes from the Smriti books of Hinduism (books of lower to no authority) rather than the hardcore philosophical side (i.e.: Vedas/Upanishads - scriptures of authority) and therefore I personally take it with a pinch of salt - just as part of the narrative/storytelling side of Hinduism.

Otherwise SunDun111 has pretty much covered the main points.
Just one small correction though - Kalyug is thought to have started with the death of Krishna rather than his birth.
TheALevelStudent
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
i'm not too clued up on it, but I'll tell you what I know, Kaliyug is supposed to be around 432,000 years long I think at the end of it God is meant to destroy the universe after this and then it will be recreated again. KaliYug started when Lord Krishna was born around 5000 years ago. It will end with Kalki coming to earth, at the end of this age they will be lots of sin, they will be no more religion people say and Kalki (the 10th Avatar of Vishnu) will come down to end the darkness and bring about the light that was once in satyug. i may be wrong tbh I aren't too sure I learned about it a few years ago, What does Sikhism say? Ps have you excepted your offer for birmingham?
Thanks for your reply. I don't know to much about it, which is why I was asking lol. I will go home and do some research. The only thing I really know is that we are currently in kaljug, and from what you said, it seems like it's going to get a lot worse 😬

And no not yet, we were told to wait for a bit before accepting/declining. How's your application coming along?
(Original post by nucdev)
Technically the concept of the Four Yugas comes from the Smriti books of Hinduism (books of lower to no authority) rather than the hardcore philosophical side (i.e.: Vedas/Upanishads - scriptures of authority) and therefore I personally take it with a pinch of salt - just as part of the narrative/storytelling side of Hinduism.

Just one small correction though - Kalyug is thought to have started with the death of Krishna rather than his birth.
Oh okay, thanks for your reply.
The Joker ~
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
SunDun111
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Thanks for your reply. I don't know to much about it, which is why I was asking lol. I will go home and do some research. The only thing I really know is that we are currently in kaljug, and from what you said, it seems like it's going to get a lot worse 😬

And no not yet, we were told to wait for a bit before accepting/declining. How's your application coming along?

Oh okay, thanks for your reply.
Yeah I think im going to accept Leicester, and yeah thats what its predicted. Do you have no concept of an Avatar/Guru coming down at the end of this Yuga?
SunDun111
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago

Though it comes from the books of lower authority, this seems to be a topic that is agreed upon by hindus isnt it? I have heard hindu teachers say they dislike Smriti books because they don't show equality, however the four ages are accepted., Are these not mentioned in the Vedas etc?
TheALevelStudent
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Yeah I think im going to accept Leicester, and yeah thats what its predicted. Do you have no concept of an Avatar/Guru coming down at the end of this Yuga?
https://www.sikhiwiki.org/index.php/Kalki_Avtaar

That's what's said about a kalki Avtar ^^

In sikhi we don't beleive in waiting for someone to come down and fix it, as the Khalsa, we try and fix it ourself. So all of the things said about being the light in the dark age, we try and be that, and hopefully, satjug will come again one day
SunDun111
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago

In sikhi we don't beleive in waiting for someone to come down and fix it, as the Khalsa, we try and fix it ourself. So all of the things said about being the light in the dark age, we try and be that, and hopefully, satjug will come again one day
Thanks for sharing, nice to know other perspectives of this ages. Please ask if you have any other questions.
nucdev
Rep:
?
Though it comes from the books of lower authority, this seems to be a topic that is agreed upon by hindus isnt it? I have heard hindu teachers say they dislike Smriti books because they don't show equality, however the four ages are accepted., Are these not mentioned in the Vedas etc?
Far from all Hindus agreeing with the concept of Yugas, Hindus can't even agree on the basics; such as whether God exists or not because there are orthodox philosophies of Hinduism such as Classical Sankhya (the oldest of all Hindu philosophies) which state that a creator, all-powerful God does not exist.
But far from this disunity being a negative thing, it's actually good that Hindus have the freedom to think for themselves and choose what to accept rather than forcing one particular viewpoint down your throat with the threat of hell if you do not subscribe to the idea.

AFAIK the Yugas aren't really mentioned in the Vedas or Upanishads, but I could be wrong :dontknow:
The reason why Smritis are not supposed to have the same authority as the Shruti (Vedas and Upanishads) is because the Smritis were not composed by prophets, are freely editable and they are there merely to help make some of the deeper concepts of the Vedas more accessible to the common person.
Also Smriti means "remembered" and memory is considered to be fallible.
The Vedas and Upanishads are considered to be "revealed" (Shruti) and therefore they supersede the Smritis on ALL counts.

However, the fact remains that because the Smritis are easier to understand (since they use narratives), the vast majority of Hindus are more aware of what they teach rather than what the Vedas/Upanishads teach.

I actually agree with that - about not waiting for someone to come, but you fixing things yourself. The philosophical branch of Hinduism that I belong to essentially says that it's nice to believe in some avatar coming down to help us, but why don't YOU become an avatar and help the rest of humanity?

In fact, some time ago I posted a video on here which made that point (I subscribe to the second viewpoint mentioned):

SunDun111
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Far from all Hindus agreeing with the concept of Yugas, Hindus can't even agree on the basics; such as whether God exists or not because there are orthodox philosophies of Hinduism such as Classical Sankhya (the oldest of all Hindu philosophies) which state that a creator, all-powerful God does not exist.
But far from this disunity being a negative thing, it's actually good that Hindus have the freedom to think for themselves and choose what to accept rather than forcing one particular viewpoint down your throat with the threat of hell if you do not subscribe to the idea.

AFAIK the Yugas aren't really mentioned in the Vedas or Upanishads, but I could be wrong :dontknow:
The reason why Smritis are not supposed to have the same authority as the Shruti (Vedas and Upanishads) is because the Smritis were not composed by prophets, are freely editable and they are there merely to help make some of the deeper concepts of the Vedas more accessible to the common person.
Also Smriti means "remembered" and memory is considered to be fallible.
The Vedas and Upanishads are considered to be "revealed" (Shruti) and therefore they supersede the Smritis on ALL counts.

However, the fact remains that because the Smritis are easier to understand (since they use narratives), the vast majority of Hindus are more aware of what they teach rather than what the Vedas/Upanishads teach.

I actually agree with that - about not waiting for someone to come, but you fixing things yourself. The philosophical branch of Hinduism that I belong to essentially says that it's nice to believe in some avatar coming down to help us, but why don't YOU become an avatar and help the rest of humanity?

In fact, some time ago I posted a video on here which made that point (I subscribe to the second viewpoint mentioned):

I'm surprised a lot of hindus don't agree on the yugas, a teacher at my temple said that all hindus believe in this, anyway aside from all this what Hindu scripture do you recommend reading for beginners, I dont want to read anything to complex and difficult to understand.
nucdev
Rep:
?
I'm surprised a lot of hindus don't agree on the yugas, a teacher at my temple said that all hindus believe in this, anyway aside from all this what Hindu scripture do you recommend reading for beginners, I dont want to read anything to complex and difficult to understand.
I'm sure a large number of Hindus do agree with Yugas, I'm just making the point that it would be a big stretch to say ALL Hindus agree with it. Some people may take it to be allegorical in the sense that the Yugas show the evolution (or maybe even devolution :dontknow:) of humanity like a continuous process. But to pinpoint it and say "this is exactly when Dvapara Yuga ended and Kaliyuga started" is a bit of a stretch for them. But there will be some who wholeheartedly disagree with the whole concept.

I personally recommend the Bhagavad Gita. The Gita is technically also a Smriti book (because it's part of the Mahabharata), but since it does an excellent job of consolidating the various teachings of the Upanishads (the Shrutis) into one fairly short and accessible book, it is considered to be a bridge between Shruti and Smriti and is therefore given the title "Gitopanishad".
SunDun111
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I'm sure a large number of Hindus do agree with Yugas, I'm just making the point that it would be a big stretch to say ALL Hindus agree with it. Some people may take it to be allegorical in the sense that the Yugas show the evolution (or maybe even devolution :dontknow:) of humanity like a continuous process. But to pinpoint it and say "this is exactly when Dvapara Yuga ended and Kaliyuga started" is a bit of a stretch for them. But there will be some who wholeheartedly disagree with the whole concept.

I personally recommend the Bhagavad Gita. The Gita is technically also a Smriti book (because it's part of the Mahabharata), but since it does an excellent job of consolidating the various teachings of the Upanishads (the Shrutis) into one fairly short and accessible book, it is considered to be a bridge between Shruti and Smriti and is therefore given the title "Gitopanishad".
Ok thanks and yeah I agree about not all Hindus agreeing, I might start reading it over the weekend.
SunDun111
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Have to love this.
sachinisgod
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Shubh Mahashivratri everyone!
nucdev
Rep:
?
Have to love this.
OMG Love it! :love:
Thanks!

(Original post by sachinisgod)
Shubh Mahashivratri everyone!
You too!

You done anything for Shivratri, spvbhai?
spv
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
You done anything for Shivratri, spvbhai?
Happy Shivratri bhai! I'm not home, so I had to do the best with what I had. Didn't have a thaal or anything, but I brought diveto and ghee with me last time, so I made a divo and I hadn't done shopping, so the only 'prasadi' I could give was nuts and stuff hahaha

Did aarti, and then chaandlo from agarbati's ash.
Spoiler:
Show
jay shiv omkara
108X mahamrityunjay mantra
and while I was eating... shambhu sharane padi
Tame su kairu?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (239)
27.28%
No (637)
72.72%

Watched Threads