Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SunDun111)
    Where abouts in Gujarat are your family from?
    Anand district which is basically half way between Ahmedabad and Vadodara.

Yours?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nucdev)
    x
    I feel honoured though, Mataji's heart is in Gujarat, like OMG the heart of Ambamaa is in Gujarat---> Ambaji
    bau garv, bau garv! :clap2:

ReputationRep:

Yours?
    Mari daada ne daadi live in Vadodara

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spv)
    I feel honoured though, Mataji's heart is in Gujarat, like OMG the heart of Ambamaa is in Gujarat---> Ambaji
    bau garv, bau garv! :clap2:
    Ever been to Pavagadh?

(Original post by ravioliyears)
    Mari daada ne daadi live in Vadodara
    Nice, :love: Vadodara
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by spv)
    Cake-peetho kya chhe? :laugh:

hahahahaa my dadima and parents both have said that to me when I get rude or saamu bolu---> "su samjhe chhe tara man ma? hu taro friend bend nathi ke tu evi rite bole chhe. (followed by the... *hmph*)" :rofl:
    (Original post by spv)
    nah peeth as in 'shakti-peeth' hence 51 slices.
    Guys this is the Hindu society not the Gujarati Society

So lets keep it to english so everyone can understand or take it to personal messages. Ta xx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sachinisgod)
    Guys this is the Hindu society not the Gujarati Society

So lets keep it to english so everyone can understand or take it to personal messages. Ta xx
    :rofl:
    You can blame me for that lol. Ffs I derail threads wherever I go haha

ReputationRep:
    Hi newbie here

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dizgurl)
    Hi newbie here
    Namaskar _/\_

ReputationRep:

Yours?
    Not been their I dont think, my district is Navsari, but I have family in Valsad as well, i also visit Surat often. Ever been to daman? I dont know if thats how its spelled, but its a tourist resort place.

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=nucdev;63279457]Ever been to Pavagadh?
    /QUOTE]

Never even been to India, let alone Maa Kali's domain. lol

ReputationRep:
    Not been their I dont think, my district is Navsari, but I have family in Valsad as well, i also visit Surat often. Ever been to daman? I dont know if thats how its spelled, but its a tourist resort place.
    Aah ok gotcha so basically South Gujarat

Not Daman, I've been to Diu though (both names are often taken together even though their on opposite sides of Gujarat) - loved it there.

ReputationRep:
    spvbhai, sort out your quoting man. Poor from you :lol:

ReputationRep:
    spvbhai, sort out your quoting man. Poor from you :lol:
    Loool. What's new...
    Spoiler:
    Show
    kai nu kai taya raakhe

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by papad)
    As Hindus you shouldn't be drinking
    Aren't we allowed to drink?

ReputationRep:
    Namaskar _/\_
    Namaskar

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kiiten)
    From my knowledge its not Forbidden like it is in other religions, they is no absolute answer regarding whether we should drink it or not. If it was 'forbidden' then why are so many Hindus today drinking? Tbh I'm not sure but from what I gather hinduism is a religion that dosen't really give a strict set of rules.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kiiten)

From my knowledge its not Forbidden like it is in other religions, they is no absolute answer regarding whether we should drink it or not. If it was 'forbidden' then why are so many Hindus today drinking? Tbh I'm not sure but from what I gather hinduism is a religion that dosen't really give a strict set of rules.
    If anything was forbidden in Hinduism, most Hindus would still do it anyway Lol. Let's be honest, the majority of Hindus don't actually know what the religion teaches and wouldn't have even read the scriptures (not that we're a religion that is exclusively fixed to scriptures though).

However, the rest of what you wrote is pretty much on point. I would only add that Hinduism encourages someone to think for him/herself and decide. The power of vivek (discerning and deciding) is within you and you are therefore at liberty to use that.

As the Bhagavad Gita says: "Thus the profoundest of secrets has been explained to you by Me. After fully reflecting on this, do as you wish." (18.63)

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=nucdev;63284677]If anything was forbidden in Hinduism, most Hindus would still do it anyway Lol. Let's be honest, the majority of Hindus don't actually know what the religion teaches and wouldn't have even read the scriptures (not that we're a religion that is exclusively fixed to scriptures though).

However, the rest of what you wrote is pretty much on point. I would only add that Hinduism encourages someone to think for him/herself and decide. The power of vivek (discerning and deciding) is within you and you are therefore at liberty to use that.

As the Bhagavad Gita says: "Thus the profoundest of secrets has been explained to you by Me. After fully reflecting on this, do as you wish." (18.63)[/QUOTE
    You are right but they are some things that is taught that people do follow e.g. not eating beef, then again I've seen Hindu's eating beef before but this is quite uncommon.
    Yeah I have started reading the Gita, I'll let you know on how I find it in a few weeks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jr2007)
    I'm hopefully setting up this society for Hindus and those interested in Hinduism on TSR. Open to all Hindus and non-Hindus, welcome yourselves on this thread and join in!

Discussions of philosophies, ideas, festivals, beliefs, and whatever will go on.

Click here to join.

Member List

JR2007 [Leader]
    Indianz Rule [Vice Leader] - Will be taking over whilst I am studying in University
    A Levels Guy
    ÁňûβİŚ
    Abhinaya
    alpesh24
    aNgLoPhIlE

Apoorva
    ash1
    asianangel86
    bpatel22
    bubu
    chandni
    coco bunny
    Coral
    DeSiFiEd
    Divya
    Eco warrior
    evertonia
    fblade
    galactic_star
    Glow
    Happyness
    Inspector Gadget
    Jayjay000
    john williams
    Journey
    joy12
    Legal__Eagle
    lunatic3100
    MayaIllusion
    Mkali
    Mugdha
    ns127
    parag
    Poonie
    prettyp
    Q.E.D
    RdotR
    sabtha
    sbhalla
    Shivali
    Sir Teacup
    SolInvictus
    Sum Lad
    s_rishi1
    tigerlilly88
    unknown1557
    v2006
    x-krish-x
    xx007
    __WiZaRD__
    Zoob
    I have a question
    How could Hindus worship many gods??
    And worship idols which are basically man-made?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Tahira__)
    I have a question
    How could Hindus worship many gods??
    And worship idols which are basically man-made?
    Read post 46

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 10, 2018
Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.