Turn on thread page Beta

TSR Hindu Society watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dhanny)
    ooooooh I see this thread on latest discussion list. I got pretty excited so I thought id contribute and interact with my fellow sanatan dharmic fellas.
    So how are things going?
    Don't be fooled, this thread is mostly dead :sad:

I'm trying to keep it alive by posting verses from scriptures :lol:

ReputationRep:
    Hey Fatima, whats up? All good in the hood?
    doing revision for psychology :mad2: and you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nucdev)

Haha thats good , we need more people like you to save our existence on TSR otherwise everyone gonna turn Nastik ngl.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fatima1998)
    doing revision for psychology :mad2: and you
    I am doing some lovely accounting revision and having a blast because I find it fun doing accounting revision and I can listen to music too

ReputationRep:
    I am doing some lovely accounting revision and having a blast because I find it fun doing accounting revision and I can listen to music too
    i am like half asleep :bored: but cannot sleep that early... exams are important
    i think accounting has maths in it and i love maths...it wouldn't make me bored at all :top: like psych is

ReputationRep:
    i am like half asleep :bored: but cannot sleep that early... exams are important
    i think accounting has maths in it and i love maths...it wouldn't make me bored at all :top: like psych is
    I see your burning the midnight oil like me.

(Hint) (Hint) Drink a huge load of coffee. You will feel like you can do anything.(You'll get wings without having redbull)

ReputationRep:
    I see your burning the midnight oil like me.

(Hint) (Hint) Drink a huge load of coffee. You will feel like you can do anything.(You'll get wings without having redbull)
    haha... i hate coffee :yucky: don't mind tea but only when i really need to... just had strawberry milkshake :jive:

ReputationRep:
    haha... i hate coffee :yucky: don't mind tea but only when i really need to... just had strawberry milkshake :jive:
    Yummy.......

Anyways , il catch you in a bit Fatima. Was good to meet you and I wish you the best of luck for your exams.

And is it my crap computer or is it this crap website because it takes ages for pages to load up.....

ReputationRep:
    Haha thats good , we need more people like you to save our existence on TSR otherwise everyone gonna turn Nastik ngl.
    I'm gunna get technical now
    Do you mean the Sanskrit meaning of "nastik" or the Hindi/Gujarati meaning of the word?
    :curious:

ReputationRep:
    I'm gunna get technical now
    Do you mean the Sanskrit meaning of "nastik" or the Hindi/Gujarati meaning of the word?
    :curious:
    Dont they both have the same meaning?

My Nastik meant the atheist/Non-believer

ReputationRep:
    Dont they both have the same meaning?

My Nastik meant the atheist/Non-believer
    Nope.

Yeah that's the modern meaning in Hindi/Gujarati :lol:

In Sanskrit, "Nastika" means someone who does not accept the authority of the Vedas. So Christians, Muslims, Sikhs are all termed as "Nastika" since they reject the authority of the Vedas (even though they accept the existence of God).

You should be aware that there are at least 3 branches of Hinduism that are atheist/non-theist, and yet they are termed as "Astika" since they accept the authority of the Vedas.

ReputationRep:
    Nope.

Yeah that's the modern meaning in Hindi/Gujarati :lol:

In Sanskrit, "Nastika" means someone who does not accept the authority of the Vedas. So Christians, Muslims, Sikhs are all termed as "Nastika" since they reject the authority of the Vedas (even though they accept the existence of God).

You should be aware that there are at least 3 branches of Hinduism that are atheist/non-theist, and yet they are termed as "Astika" since they accept the authority of the Vedas.
    How do you know all of this???:shock::shock:

ReputationRep:
    How do you know all of this???:shock::shock:
    It's magic :smug:

:rofl: Nah JK
    I've been researching Sanatana Dharma for about 5 years now lol

Funny thing, if a Muslim, Christian or Sikh was well informed about their religion no-one would be this surprised and yet if a Hindu knows their religion in depth, it's like that person is the 8th wonder of the world or something :toofunny:

ReputationRep:

Funny thing, if a Muslim, Christian or Sikh was well informed about their religion no-one would be this surprised and yet if a Hindu knows their religion in depth, it's like that person is the 8th wonder of the world or something :toofunny:
    Haha true that.

I think im happy with my basic knowledge. I know a handful of gods who i can pray to, i know never to eat beef .......Job done!

ReputationRep:
    Haha true that.

I think im happy with my basic knowledge. I know a handful of gods who i can pray to, i know never to eat beef .......Job done!
    Lmao if it works for you, then good for you!

Because it's such a broad and diverse religion, you are simply responding to as much of the religion as your current level of spiritual development allows you to experience and there is absolutely nothing wrong in that!
    Rejoice in it!

I got philosophical :lol:

ReputationRep:

Gotta say, I'm really impressed. Not many people know about the Samkhya and Mimansa schools of thought.
    Thought I was weird for being curious about my own religion. clearly I am not one of a kind

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ssshah2)
    Gotta say, I'm really impressed. Not many people know about the Samkhya and Mimansa schools of thought.
    Thought I was weird for being curious about my own religion. clearly I am not one of a kind
    Thank you ji

Lol I think it's a shame, because there's some really deep and interesting stuff if you scratch just beneath the surface and unfortunately that's rarely done.

I find the Vaisheshika school of thought quite interesting. It's a shame that Vaisheshika and Nyaya died out though :sad:

ReputationRep:
    Thank you ji

Lol I think it's a shame, because there's some really deep and interesting stuff if you scratch just beneath the surface and unfortunately that's rarely done.

I find the Vaisheshika school of thought quite interesting. It's a shame that Vaisheshika and Nyaya died out though :sad:
    Sure there may not be many followers left, but these are schools of thought, and should you want to you could easily follow the teachings through self-study.
    E.g. Yoga is a school of thought (not many people consider it as such though now-a-days) but it has been largely revived as a way of life for several thousands of people.
    P.S.
    It is a pity though, in my opinion they were the most scientific schools of thought.
    Just goes to show how much our religion is getting tainted by these fake 'babas' and people whose beliefs are more superstition than religion e.g. the kind of people that don't let you cut nails in the evening ;P

ReputationRep:
    Been posting verses from the spiritual traditions of Hinduism and now to throw a curve ball (), a quote from the materialist tradition:

"As long as you live, live happily!
    Accumulate debts and drink ghee (i.e.: live lavishly),
    Because once the body is reduced to ashes, how will you come back again?!"

"Yavat jivet, sukham jivet.
    Rinam krutva, ghrtam pibet,
    Bhasmi bhutasya dehasya punaragamanam kutah"

~ Charvaka (heterodox Hindu school of thought)

ReputationRep:

I would post more in here, but I don't have anything constructive to say (most of the time) :sad:

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 10, 2018
Poll
Do you like exams?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.