GrandHustle
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
Hey,

I'm currently studying Cold Environments, looking at Periglacial Processes. I've been looking into Gelifluction and Solifluction as processes of periglaciation. The two terms seem to be used, mostly, without differentiation. However, I am given to understand that there is a difference between the two processes. Apparently gelifluction is more distinct to periglaciation than solifluction? Could anyone explain the difference between the two processes, if at all there is a difference?

Thanks in advance
mikeorchard
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Gelifluction occurs in areas of permafrost.
Solifluction does not.
kevincooper777
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Solifluction means the down-slope movement of soil (sol = soil) - caused by the waterlogging of the soil (so increased lubbrication between soil particles).
Gelifluction is a specific TYPE of solifluction - i.e. caused by the active layer (soil) flowing down-slope due to the waterlogging of the soil due to there being frozen soil / rock underneath (which is therefore impermeable).
ITS-H
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Solifuction: The flow of soil during a thaw cycle from high to lowerelevation.• Gelifluction: The flow of soil during a thaw cycle from high to lowerelevation during the presence of ground ice or permafrost.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (120)
28.3%
No - I have already returned home (57)
13.44%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (83)
19.58%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (40)
9.43%
No - I live at home during term anyway (124)
29.25%

Watched Threads