The dreaded word: Revision Watch

Nfergs
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Dun dun dun... So the time of year has arrived yet again where it's the Easter holidays and if you're like me, you're in the state of mind deciding whether to begin revision or not.

My plans were to start casual, on-off revision this week, although I only really have 3 of my Higher subjects to focus on, and then next week just fully get into revision mode. However, it hasn't worked out quite like that. In fact, I've took advantage of only having the 3 subjects I have to really revise for, and used that as an excuse to go shopping or lie in bed all day instead of actually getting a finger out. Ofcourse on the run up to the exams and in May, I will obviously be reluctantly revising, however during these Easter holidays, I just can't be bothered! :hmpf:

During the Easter holidays last year, I don't actually remember revising apart from the times I went to 'Easter School' which I am going to again this year next week for 2 subjects. So how about you - what are you sitting and how is your revision going?
OddThings
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I have four exams this year,higher and AH,and I began revision on Monday,at around 2-3 hours a day.But I'm now having mini panic attacks I don't have enough time or I'm not doing it right..which is ruining my concentration.I want to get AAAB this year.Its Higher History that is my biggest issue,I know what I need to do but there seems to be so much information.I got a B in the prelim so I'm not too far off an A but..gah.
Alexandra's Box
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I also cannot be arsed - but as they're GCSEs I don't think that I need to do lots of revision.

Next year, however... :afraid:
Is AS Chemistry really that bad?!

PS Realise that you will all be Scottish but hey...
Nfergs
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
(Original post by OddThings)
I have four exams this year,higher and AH,and I began revision on Monday,at around 2-3 hours a day.But I'm now having mini panic attacks I don't have enough time or I'm not doing it right..which is ruining my concentration.I want to get AAAB this year.Its Higher History that is my biggest issue,I know what I need to do but there seems to be so much information.I got a B in the prelim so I'm not too far off an A but..gah.
Oh same here for Higher History! I got a B in the prelim despite doing really good in the Essays (only because I had memorised them word for word). However, the source questions let me down for some reason even though I got the best marks in the class for the NAB. Oh well... my plan of action is to do essay plans for every single essay in History and Modern Studies, and hopefully learn them. I'm also sitting 4 subjects, so I can use my free period to learn these essay plans or make up for revision I've not done during this holiday.
OddThings
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Nfergs)
Oh same here for Higher History! I got a B in the prelim despite doing really good in the Essays (only because I had memorised them word for word). However, the source questions let me down for some reason even though I got the best marks in the class for the NAB. Oh well... my plan of action is to do essay plans for every single essay in History and Modern Studies, and hopefully learn them. I'm also sitting 4 subjects, so I can use my free period to learn these essay plans or make up for revision I've not done during this holiday.
You sound exactly like me! I got two A's for my essays but did badly on the sources,despite doing well(ish) in the NAB.Clearly I'm going wrong somewhere.I'm trying to learn essay plans myself and I made a timeline for the sources section and have been treating it like a story almost,it makes it easier to remember.Fingers crossed we both get A's! (well,that and some hard work won't go amiss )
S119234
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I've pretty much started the revision. Doing 5 subjects this year so quite a lot to say the least!

Echoing what you're all saying about Higher History, the amount of stuff you have to know for that exam is beyond ridiculous. I managed to only just get a B in the prelim cause I went a bit strange on the source questions.

Revision for History so far is that I'm aiming to do one timed essay every two days, just to practice the exam conditions, don't know how I'm going to revise the sources paper, probably will just memorise all the WW1 KU, but it's sooo much!
OddThings
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by S119234)
I've pretty much started the revision. Doing 5 subjects this year so quite a lot to say the least!

Echoing what you're all saying about Higher History, the amount of stuff you have to know for that exam is beyond ridiculous. I managed to only just get a B in the prelim cause I went a bit strange on the source questions.

Revision for History so far is that I'm aiming to do one timed essay every two days, just to practice the exam conditions, don't know how I'm going to revise the sources paper, probably will just memorise all the WW1 KU, but it's sooo much!
one timed essay every two days?! Eek,I better get a move on,I'm just typing out essay plans and doing source questions.
auberjean
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I'm doing very relaxed revision at the moment. I've only memorised a lot of French vocabulary and done some Maths past papers, when I have Modern Studies and English to worry about >_<

However I can pretty much forget about Art until it is time for the exam as I have 6 days to only revise that.

I just wish I had the motivation! I have been using an internet block called Cold Turkey which blocks all sorts of rubbish websites and that has worked a little but I can't stick to my revision timetable that I made!
S119234
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by OddThings)
one timed essay every two days?! Eek,I better get a move on,I'm just typing out essay plans and doing source questions.
Hahaha . nah, I wouldn't worry about it tbh, I find doing timed essays the best way to learn what is expected in the exam, because otherwise I will end up writing too much.

I typed out all the essay plans before the easter holidays, but still need to do Labour, Rise of Nazis and the Nazi State one. Tis' a really good idea typing them up!
OddThings
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by S119234)
Hahaha . nah, I wouldn't worry about it tbh, I find doing timed essays the best way to learn what is expected in the exam, because otherwise I will end up writing too much.

I typed out all the essay plans before the easter holidays, but still need to do Labour, Rise of Nazis and the Nazi State one. Tis' a really good idea typing them up!
You do sound very organised! I envy you,my organisational skills are woeful at times I'm just really worried about remembering it all and breaking it all..down..into more manageable chunks. After searching through my typed up essay plans,they seem to have not saved properly and I've lost them all!
john4994
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I actually quite enjoy revising - when i'm started. I know that might sound a bitty daft xD

The problem is getting the motivation to study - especially with Unconditional Uni offers already sitting for me.

I had great plans to study during the holidays, but so far i just haven't gotten started :P
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Imperial College London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Tue, 25 Jun '19
  • University of Brighton
    Photography MA open afternoon Postgraduate
    Wed, 26 Jun '19
  • University of Plymouth
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Jun '19

Who do you think will be the next PM?