medicals....argh Watch

sophieliz
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
Can anyone tell me what would be involved with an army medical? Eg what sort of tests....Because I have never had a medical in my life and don't know what to expect. How thorough are they?
Steve Stifler
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Do you know what an "enema" is?
StaVix
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
google it! isnt it a blood clot?

Sophiekliz, what stage are you applying for? normally they give you a thorough health check, ie eyesight reading off the charts peering into your eyes etc, then hearing doing the sound test. The actual medical they normally ask you to strip down to underwear (you can ask for female doc) and dont wear you best lacy skimpy stuff! They listen to your breathing and heart, count your vertebrae as you lean forward, prod your stmoach maybe take blood, urine test, have a chat about your family history, any illness's, operations/medication your on, all of which you will have detailed on forms.

Its nothing dramatc or anything to worry about.
LouE3D
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by StaVix)
isnt it a blood clot?

Not quite, it does involve 'unblocking' your insides, and tends to require a tube and some warm (i assume) water...
sophieliz
Rep:
?
What degree of short sightedness would you fail on? I wear contacts but my sight is something around 3.75 in the worst eye and 2.75 in the other. I'm not applying for the actual army, just OTC, but I read that I will have to pass a basic army medical test.
Shéamais
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by sophieliz)
What degree of short sightedness would you fail on? I wear contacts but my sight is something around 3.75 in the worst eye and 2.75 in the other. I'm not applying for the actual army, just OTC, but I read that I will have to pass a basic army medical test.
Why the OTC?

Effectively no physical fitness standards, as long as your medically fit that's all that counts for the OTC.
sophieliz
Rep:
?
Also, anyone know how tough the selection weekends are?
Shéamais
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Tough? If you are a pretty girl it doesn't matter how badly you do. I am serious!

Seriously OTC selection weekends are something no one fully understands as some right floppies get in but good people don't.
Steve Stifler
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Now you're asking. Do you know that half the OTC go on for SAS selection!?
StaVix
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by LouE3D)
Not quite, it does involve 'unblocking' your insides, and tends to require a tube and some warm (i assume) water...
ah ha! cheers lou, bit of a blonde moment! (i am blonde so am totally justified in having them)
LouE3D
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Snap!
sophieliz
Rep:
?
SAS? What exactly is that?
Shéamais
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
SAS? What exactly is that?
Now are you sure you want to join the OTC.

If you don't know what SAS means surely a Knitting club would be better for you.
Stavross
Report 12 years ago
Saturday And Sunday trained, well I was UOTC and was SAS trained!
Steve Stifler
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Stavross)
Saturday And Sunday trained, well I was UOTC and was SAS trained!
Did you do underwater knife fighting? I want to go on that course but obviously, because it's hush hush it's not in the training booklet.
sophieliz
Rep:
?
(Original post by Qui Audet Vincit)
Now are you sure you want to join the OTC.

If you don't know what SAS means surely a Knitting club would be better for you.
Ok, Calm down, I'm just researching it. I did CCF at school and want to do something similar. I knew there was weekened training, just not what it was officially known as.
Steve Stifler
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Ok, Calm down, I'm just researching it. I did CCF at school and want to do something similar. I knew there was weekened training, just not what it was officially known as.
There are some weekends but they are far and few between. For example, Spiral Architect is on an exercise this weekend, but after this one his next weekend isn't until April sometime, making the OTC a not very reliable income. Which uni are you applying to?
sophieliz
Rep:
?
I'm already at Nottingham university. And I'm not doing it for the income, just because I want to and cv wise it will look impressive.
Spiral Architect
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Steve Stifler)
There are some weekends but they are far and few between. For example, Spiral Architect is on an exercise this weekend, but after this one his next weekend isn't until April sometime, making the OTC a not very reliable income. Which uni are you applying to?
And I spent the majority of the weekend completely battered. Not bad considering i'm getting 2 and a quarter days pay.
Steve Stifler
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Spiral Architect)
And I spent the majority of the weekend completely battered. Not bad considering i'm getting 2 and a quarter days pay.
Thank the tax payers dude, thank the tax payers
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1282)
79.73%
Leave (326)
20.27%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise