The Student Room Group

Why do women find the "ripped look" attractive?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Original post by McHumpy92
Classic example is on 'take me out' ..just before the round where the bloke turns the girls lights off the ugly ones turn their light off to save the humiliation. Hence all the crap on TSR such as 'I like skinny fat, short ugly guys because that is my preference '

How do you know they are not attracted to the man in question. I watched 10 mins of this how over ITV Player after a friend sent me the link. It seems confusing.
Original post by Eveiebaby
Generally and Naturally? Cetainly not natural for me. I seriously dont get it. I do get the general thing though. Ok, I'll take on board what you say - I know the muscle look must be attractive to a decent number of women as it's forced down our throats through the media, billboards etc. I still find it clenchingly gross (did I just say that? Yes I did) though and certainly not my ideal mate for some strange reason.

I dont need some man to protect me and nor do I want one thanks, I can do the protecting thing myself. Why SOME women seem to want to assume the figure of a weak, pathetic, vulnerable person is beyond me. I'm not a whiny feminist, I actually love men, but I dont really understand traditional gender roles. *Kicks some serious ass*

It is a natural instinct, but since you know, we are not that much animals anymore, it is possible that we are developing different tastes, no more based on the importance of keeping the race going and getting better but purely on what we find prettier. I was just pointing out that of course everybody has an opinion which might be different and de gustibus non disputandum , but that in this case we are probably just generalising :smile:
Real muscles looks hot, fake ones look ugly and women who find that steroid induced crap need a reality check.
Reply 103
Original post by screenager2004
We don't?

That's like saying "Why do men find big-titted peroxide blonde babes attractive?" - not everyone does. It's just a hollywood image of what's attractive that isn't very realistic.

A slightly more thought-out version of the "don't generalize" argument.

If you have nothing to contribute to the debate, then, pray, why even post? :smile:
Reply 104
Original post by effofex
How do you know they are not attracted to the man in question. I watched 10 mins of this how over ITV Player after a friend sent me the link. It seems confusing.

...because they kept their lights on originally and the round where he turns their light off is coming up...they notice better looking girls than them have kept their lights on, so to save rejection they turn their lights off before he can.

Always lol when 2 contestants get on well personality wise yet the bloke just chooses the better looking one. Looks are most important to males.
Original post by Dark Horse
A slightly more thought-out version of the "don't generalize" argument.

If you have nothing to contribute to the debate, then, pray, why even post? :smile:

That was a legitimate on-topic response to your OP.

Don't you find it slightly ironic that, rather than responding to my contribution you made an entirely non-contributory post yourself? :yawn:
Reply 106
Original post by McHumpy92
...because they kept their lights on originally and the round where he turns their light off is coming up...they notice better looking girls than them have kept their lights on, so to save rejection they turn their lights off before he can.

Always lol when 2 contestants get on well personality wise yet the bloke just chooses the better looking one. Looks are most important to males.

Is it actually a real show? Or do they stage it?

Presumably the contestants are paid to go on it - some may even have partners, be homosexual, etc?

I thought the women are only allowed to turn their lights off during the first 2 rounds - and after that they have no control (it is all up to the man).
Reply 107
Original post by screenager2004
That was a legitimate on-topic response to your OP.

Don't you find it slightly ironic that, rather than responding to my contribution you made an entirely non-contributory post yourself? :yawn:

It is not ironic, it just means that you've decided to become a distraction.

And I might add that your a boring distraction. One who would rather split-hairs over syntax, protocol and etiquette than debate over actual issues. :smile:
Why do men continue to assume that we find guys who are "ripped" impossible to resist? I prefer skinny guys to guys who are more muscular, but that's just me. Of course, when you say that you don't find really muscular guys attractive you get exclamations of "How is this, more attractive than this? I know my own tastes, and it's a good thing we're not all attracted to the same kind of physique or some people would never get girlfriends.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by aspirinpharmacist
Why do men continue to assume that we find guys who are "ripped" impossible to resist? I prefer skinny guys to guys who are more muscular, but that's just me. Of course, when you say that you don't mind really muscular guys attractive you get exclamations of "How is this, more attractive than this? I know my own tastes, and it's a good thing we're not all attracted to the same kind of physique or some people would never get girlfriends.

We don't assume , small uninformed minorities of us do and who said "impossible to resist" I think the key definition used was attractive.
Reply 110
Why do men continue to assume that we find guys who are "ripped" impossible to resist? I prefer skinny guys to guys who are more muscular, but that's just me. Of course, when you say that you don't mind really muscular guys attractive you get exclamations of "How is this, more attractive than this? I know my own tastes, and it's a good thing we're not all attracted to the same kind of physique or some people would never get girlfriends.

The model skinny look on men is also a rather popular one. That one is surely down to social conditioning and advertising? Modelling agencies go for the ultra-lean look.
I can't remember what phase in history it was, but it was once that the bigger a woman was, the more attractive she was to men.

Perhaps the "ripped look" being attractive is not evolutionary at all? Perhaps it is simply the rarity factor, in a world where there is much obesity, binge drinking (beer bellies) and unhealthy eating habits?
Culture. I watched a program a couple of years ago, about a country in which the men preferred to have a fat wife, because it showed that they could provide the food for her and therefore acted as a status symbol.

In the western world, fitness and beauty are everything. In any advert of men, the male model will have a 6-pack and act as the cultural sex symbol, this translates to society as an idolisation of a muscular body. Which is not a bad thing, as it can be a motivation for men to aspire to be fitter.
Original post by duharvalgt
We don't assume , small uninformed minorities of us do and who said "impossible to resist" I think the key definition used was attractive.

I don't have to quote the OP verbatim, you know. And I've heard guys complaining before about how women always lust after "ripped" guys.
The model skinny look on men is also a rather popular one. That one is surely down to social conditioning and advertising? Modelling agencies go for the ultra-lean look.
I can't remember what phase in history it was, but it was once that the bigger a woman was, the more attractive she was to men.

Perhaps the "ripped look" being attractive is not evolutionary at all? Perhaps it is simply the rarity factor, in a world where there is much obesity, binge drinking (beer bellies) and unhealthy eating habits?

Not model skinny, just skinny as opposed to "ripped". I don't find male models attractive, as a rule. I wouldn't say it was down to social conditioning and advertising, when I was younger most of the adverts I saw were for Hot Wheels (remember those? I loved them) and Baby Annabel, but I still had a crush on Tom Felton when I was about 10 or something. :lol: And he'd definitely class as skinny. I don't believe I was really exposed to many male models until a few years after, they don't really turn up on kids channels and since I've got a little sister that's a lot of what I watched when I was that age. Basically what I'm saying is that's just what my tastes are, I wouldn't say that social conditioning particularly came into it.

Oh I know that being large was once considered attractive, it's in a lot of art. And in one book I've read they talk about sending women to fatten up before they try and get a husband, to give the impression that they are affluent and well-fed. Sounds vile really, no fashion is better than any other.
Reply 114
Did you not make the thread about fitter and stronger people being more useful?

You've essentially answered your own question. A woman is attracted to a 'ripped' man perhaps because at a base level instinct tells her a strong man can defend her and her children, and will produce strong, heathy children. Of course this is not necessarily the case in society now, many other factors play a part.

Humans are not lions. Traditionally who was always best equipped for hunting? The kings and nobles would have the finest horses, dogs, hawks and rifles for hunting. Humans have always enjoyed hunting in the past, it is part of our ancestry.

So it's likely that in the distant past, when we were less civilised, the leader of the tribe would himself lead the hunt, and would be the strongest, fittest male who had cowed all his rivals?
Reply 115
I don't think it's clear cut as you would think. I can honestly say that apart from my cousin, I have never met a women who actively prefers a hench bloke. On my nights out, men with massive biceps get an equal amount of attention to other men with other aspects that work in their favour. All the boyfriends of my female friends are fairly normal men, who occasionally work out, but aren't male models like David Gandy or sculpted and chiselled like Ryan Reynolds/Ryan Gosling/Sean William Scott/ Paul Walker etc. I concede, this is only my personal experience. However, looking out from the microcosm into a more general picture of the UK, shows like 'Take Me Out' would have you believe that all women want a male who is stacked and 6 feet plus.

It's fairly simple Television. As you have also seen though, like my experiences, there are girls who a) Don't give a toss if he's built or not and b) prefer men with slimmer, average bodies. Realistically, it's probably about 40:60/50:50/60:40. In short, being 'ripped' is not the be all and end all. Why is it quite prevalent amongst today's generation? Well, quite simply, social conditioning and the role of the media play an exhaustive and probably solitary role in forming the opinions of many; as you see on 'Take Me Out', the more and more something is pedalled in tv shows, magazines, newspapers, books, etc., the more people will start to believe that it is their ideal too.

I'm glad people like to be healthy, but we should also note that you can be fit and healthy whilst maintaining an standard physique and that you don't have build muscle to attract a partner.

Spoiler

Reply 116
Not model skinny, just skinny as opposed to "ripped". I don't find male models attractive, as a rule. I wouldn't say it was down to social conditioning and advertising, when I was younger most of the adverts I saw were for Hot Wheels (remember those? I loved them) and Baby Annabel, but I still had a crush on Tom Felton when I was about 10 or something. :lol: And he'd definitely class as skinny. I don't believe I was really exposed to many male models until a few years after, they don't really turn up on kids channels and since I've got a little sister that's a lot of what I watched when I was that age. Basically what I'm saying is that's just what my tastes are, I wouldn't say that social conditioning particularly came into it.

Oh I know that being large was once considered attractive, it's in a lot of art. And in one book I've read they talk about sending women to fatten up before they try and get a husband, to give the impression that they are affluent and well-fed. Sounds vile really, no fashion is better than any other.

You know, by disqualifying "model skinny" and "ripped" you haven't left much room on the body composition spectrum so it's a little difficult to visualize what you mean. The "ripped look" is actually a function of leanness and low BF% and this is the reason why someone can be "ripped" but not have that much muscle on them. Think of how very skinny men sometimes have 6 packs.

Post a pic, maybe?
Reply 117
Original post by QwentyJ
I don't think it's clear cut as you would think. I can honestly say that apart from my cousin, I have never met a women who actively prefers a hench bloke. On my nights out, men with massive biceps get an equal amount of attention to other men with other aspects that work in their favour. All the boyfriends of my female friends are fairly normal men, who occasionally work out, but aren't male models like David Gandy or sculpted and chiselled like Ryan Reynolds/Ryan Gosling/Sean William Scott/ Paul Walker etc. I concede, this is only my personal experience. However, looking out from the microcosm into a more general picture of the UK, shows like 'Take Me Out' would have you believe that all women want a male who is stacked and 6 feet plus.

It's fairly simple Television. As you have also seen though, like my experiences, there are girls who a) Don't give a toss if he's built or not and b) prefer men with slimmer, average bodies. Realistically, it's probably about 40:60/50:50/60:40. In short, being 'ripped' is not the be all and end all. Why is it quite prevalent amongst today's generation? Well, quite simply, social conditioning and the role of the media play an exhaustive and probably solitary role in forming the opinions of many; as you see on 'Take Me Out', the more and more something is pedalled in tv shows, magazines, newspapers, books, etc., the more people will start to believe that it is their ideal too.

I'm glad people like to be healthy, but we should also note that you can be fit and healthy whilst maintaining an standard physique and that you don't have build muscle to attract a partner.

Spoiler

Massive biceps =/= ripped physique. Unless said men have their shirts off during their night out, it would be difficult to tell how ripped they are.

The fact that your mates boyfriends are "normal men" is no surprise at all, tbh. There is alot more skinnyfat/fat/skinny men than there is ripped/lean men. It can sometimes be a question of supply rather than preference. :smile:
Reply 118
Massive biceps =/= ripped physique. Unless said men have their shirts off during their night out, it would be difficult to tell how ripped they are.

The fact that your mates boyfriends are "normal men" is no surprise at all, tbh. There is alot more skinnyfat/fat/skinny men than there is ripped/lean men. It can sometimes be a question of supply rather than preference. :smile:

I know that, it was just another way of me saying 'ripped/shredded/jacked/stacked/hench/obligatory reference to muscular build'.

I knew a fair few of these guys as I played rugby with them.

Also, to the second point, some are skinny and some are just have a normal physique. Neither skinny, nor plump, just decidedly average.
(edited 12 years ago)
You know, by disqualifying "model skinny" and "ripped" you haven't left much room on the body composition spectrum so it's a little difficult to visualize what you mean. The "ripped look" is actually a function of leanness and low BF% and this is the reason why someone can be "ripped" but not have that much muscle on them. Think of how very skinny men sometimes have 6 packs.

Post a pic, maybe?

Well, models are frequently skinny but still quite muscular, a lot of the guys I actually know aren't that muscular, they just don't have a lot of body fat. Do you see where I'm coming from? I don't have any pictures I'm afraid, I'm mostly basing my idea of normal skinny as opposed to model skinny on people I know in reality. And when I think of "ripped" guys I'm imagining weightlifters.

Quick Reply

Latest