Turn on thread page Beta

OH NOOO!! help me before I accidentally kill myself!! watch

Announcements
    • Thread Starter
    Offline

    0
    ReputationRep:
    My rabbit chewed a charging adaptor no it wasn’t plugged in, and yes she’s still alive. I let her run around my room, not noticing the adaptor hanging down, it didn’t even reach the floor. And while I was trying to stop my other rabbit from going under my bed, she bit it. It happened in a split second. I screamed and she ran away **oooops**

    Anyway, is it wise to just use electrical tape? Or should I try to replace it?
    Offline

    18
    ReputationRep:
    I would say that electrical tape would probably be fine as a temporary solution but ONLY until you get a new wire.
    Offline

    16
    ReputationRep:
    Is the flex exposed inside (ie can you see brown and blue wires with copper exposed)
    • Thread Starter
    Offline

    0
    ReputationRep:
    Yeah you can see it, and she tore the copper wire thing :/ I’m getting it replaced :yy:
    Offline

    16
    ReputationRep:
    Yeah, don't attempt a repair on it. Though, I doubt it would have hurt you or killed your rabbit if it was plugged in, as the voltages in a mobile phone charger lead are <12V.
    Theyre cheap enough anyway
    Offline

    1
    ReputationRep:
    yummy, fried rabbit. hmm....
    Offline

    2
    ReputationRep:
    Its the current that kills, so im told.
    Offline

    2
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MR_JR)
    Its the current that kills, so im told.
    welll, yes, true... for example, a 12V car battery may only have 12V, but the power it can put out is tremendous... but on the other hand, over head wires have a relatively low current, but significant voltage. irregardless, they'll do you a disservice.
    Offline

    0
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MR_JR)
    Its the current that kills, so im told.
    Indeed. A friend of mine has a 5000V supply for his physics investigation, but it's only 0.01A (or 0.1A, can't remember), and it's only supposed to be "near" fatal...We havne't yet decided who's going to put this to the test, but rest assured, it'll be done*.

    *Or not
    Offline

    1
    ReputationRep:
    Ehehe you haven't lived until you've given yourself a mains electric shock!

    I found out the hard way :laugh:
    Offline

    2
    ReputationRep:
    I think a car battery is what is used to power electric fences. I've been shocked by those loads of times, hurt a bit, but i diddn't think it was dangerous.

    I also think i might have got a mains electric shock, but not sure about it. It could have been a really big static shock. Either way it was the most powerfull shock i've ever had. My arms went stiff, REALLY stiff and violently. My insides felt strange. But otherwise i was ok.

    When i say strange... i dunno how to describe it. My heart beat really fast but not in an out of breath way. By lungs felt breathless.
    Offline

    1
    ReputationRep:
    Yep that's like what I had, except instead of my arms going stiff the one in contact with the electricity just started shaking really violently. Scared the *** out of me!
    Offline

    14
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Duke Flipside)
    Indeed. A friend of mine has a 5000V supply for his physics investigation, but it's only 0.01A (or 0.1A, can't remember), and it's only supposed to be "near" fatal...We havne't yet decided who's going to put this to the test, but rest assured, it'll be done*.

    *Or not
    You can do pretty neat stuff with those... try connecting each terminal to a piece of aluminium foil, separated by a thin plastic sheet (like a bin bag).

    And to whoever said it was only 12V inside... remember, 12V DC comes out, but 230V AC goes in. Still plenty of chance to kill yourself!
    Offline

    1
    ReputationRep:
    Cheeky bunnies :p: aww i miss mine
    Offline

    0
    ReputationRep:
    id just like to point out that a car battery wont even shock you.
    The phone charger will be 3.6v and it is completly harmless.

    As for the 5kv supply - get a plasic box and a fluresent tube. Stand on the box with the +5kv lead in you other hand.
    Offline

    16
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MR_JR)
    Its the current that kills, so im told.
    Indeed it is. However a mobile phone charger pumps out a WHOPPING 800mA. You'd get a little shock but its about as fatal as falling onto a big movie special effects airbag.
    Offline

    21
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bluedreamer)
    My rabbit chewed a charging adaptor no it wasn’t plugged in, and yes she’s still alive. I let her run around my room, not noticing the adaptor hanging down, it didn’t even reach the floor. And while I was trying to stop my other rabbit from going under my bed, she bit it. It happened in a split second. I screamed and she ran away **oooops**

    Anyway, is it wise to just use electrical tape? Or should I try to replace it?
    Awwww............rabbits are cute.
    Offline

    0
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zakatu)
    I think a car battery is what is used to power electric fences. I've been shocked by those loads of times, hurt a bit, but i diddn't think it was dangerous.

    I also think i might have got a mains electric shock, but not sure about it. It could have been a really big static shock. Either way it was the most powerfull shock i've ever had. My arms went stiff, REALLY stiff and violently. My insides felt strange. But otherwise i was ok.

    When i say strange... i dunno how to describe it. My heart beat really fast but not in an out of breath way. By lungs felt breathless.
    I got my legs stuck in mud on either side of an electric fence and i got my *******s zapped like 3 times before i just dived in the mud and left my wellingtons lol. I got my mums friend to get them for me, i wasn't going near that again!
 
 
 
Poll
Do you like exams?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reply
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.