The Student Room Group
De Montfort University
De Montfort University
Leicester
Visit website

DMU New Wharf Halls

Scroll to see replies

I'm currently staying at New Wharf - so feel free to direct any messages towards me! (if anyone has questions about engineering courses feel free to private message me or whatever too!)
De Montfort University
De Montfort University
Leicester
Visit website
Original post by Sam_E
Liberty Park is really nice. The bedrooms are nicer in my opinion and you actually get a living room. New Wharf is in a great location though. Really close to the campus, Gym, Tesco etc.

I'm sure you'll manage to get the grades and I'm even more sure you'll love DMU :smile: Good luck!

If I stay in new wharf, are there any gyms nearby that aren't too expensive? Or any that I can use at the university? And thanks :smile:
Original post by tina0903
If I stay in new wharf, are there any gyms nearby that aren't too expensive? Or any that I can use at the university? And thanks :smile:

The unis leisure centre, the Queen Elizabeth, is literally next door, not sure of prices, but I think its quite expensive (I assume you can find the prices on a website somewhere). Other than that Im the last person you want to talk to about gyms :P
Reply 63
Original post by tina0903

DMU's Queen Elizabeth II leisure centre is literally a 1-2 minute walk from our front door. Prices are great too. Gold membership means you have full access to everything whenever the place is open. I paid £102 from January to June. That's pretty cheap as far as gym memberships go.

Edit: January to June is because I chose to pay for the remaining school year. Don't have to fork out for an entire year and only use it until summer break etc
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by ChrisThomas14
The unis leisure centre, the Queen Elizabeth, is literally next door, not sure of prices, but I think its quite expensive (I assume you can find the prices on a website somewhere). Other than that Im the last person you want to talk to about gyms :P

Haha thanks I'll look it up:smile:
Original post by Sam_E
DMU's Queen Elizabeth II leisure centre is literally a 1-2 minute walk from our front door. Prices are great too. Gold membership means you have full access to everything whenever the place is open. I paid £102 from January to June. That's pretty cheap as far as gym memberships go.

Edit: January to June is because I chose to pay for the remaining school year. Don't have to fork out for an entire year and only use it until summer break etc

I'll look now, thanks for your help:smile:
I'm currently staying at New Wharf - so feel free to direct any messages towards me! (if anyone has questions about engineering courses feel free to private message me or whatever too!)

Hi Chris I was wondering if i could ask a few questions about new Wharf Hall? Is there wifi throughout the building and is the cost of it included in the bill?
Also are there two shower rooms and bathrooms on each floor? I ask this cause, on an open day they told us it depended on the floor whereas the website says that there is 2 on each?

Sorry for the bombardment, got an unconditional offer for DMU and planning on booking accommodation soon.

Thanks,

Jacktassium
Hi,
The internet cost around £60 for me for the basic package (10mbps download). Worth noting that the wifi is limited to 10mbps, so if you pay for faster it'll only be through ethernet. The wifi is throughout the building, but you can only have two devices connected at any one time, unless you pay a tad extra. Each room has ethernet access (would highly recommend this for your PC/laptop, especially when gaming).

Each flat has 2 toilets and showers, so you'll be sharing each with around 3-4 people I guess.

Congrats on the offer - your summer will be a lot less stressful then most :P
Okay thanks. And do you have to do an art foundation course or do they accept others into the accommodation as well? And are there bike stands at the accommodation?

Thanks again
Original post by Jacktassium
Okay thanks. And do you have to do an art foundation course or do they accept others into the accommodation as well? And are there bike stands at the accommodation?

Thanks again

Nope, although I think that the art foundation students are put into the same block? There are bike stands, but they are within some building works on the next building over, so not sure about that really
Nope, although I think that the art foundation students are put into the same block? There are bike stands, but they are within some building works on the next building over, so not sure about that really

Hi Chris,

i was wondering what New Wharf was like socially? How close is it to the uni and tesco? What are the facilities like and are there close bus routes to town and the station etc.

Original post by JordanC55
Hi Chris,

i was wondering what New Wharf was like socially? How close is it to the uni and tesco? What are the facilities like and are there close bus routes to town and the station etc.

New Wharf is good for meeting new people, mainly as there's often house parties/people meeting on the path running along the halls. If you're a quieter person I would get a room on the upper few floors, where it should be a bit quieter.

It takes me 5 mins to leave my room and sit down in a lecture room, 5 mins to get to a big Tesco, 10 mins to get to the center of town and 15-20 mins to get to the Train Station. All in all DMU is situated really well within Leicester.

Some extra facilities on campus include a Spar shop, coffee shop, fish and chips shop, I think there's a burrito place, One Stop shop, SU shop for merchandise and stationary etc. plus some good places for food right on the edge of campus (Soar Point and Polar Bear). In my opinion everything is close enough to never need a bus, so I don't know the routes.

For "real facilities" I can only comment on the library and the technology building (Queens). The library is open 24/7 (I can't describe just how useful that is, especially when coursework deadlines approach :P). It has lots of computers and tables to work at, including quieter areas if you want to work in peace. You can print things there at a cost (students get £5 a year for free to print things with, but you're looking at 3p per black and white page and 15p per colour page, so that'll only last a term or two). In the library there's the Maths Learning Center (or something like that), which do drop in sessions every day along with a seminar every Tuesday - perfect if you need some one-on-one time with someone to help with any maths issues. Queens, where engineering is ran, is reallly well equipped. The electronics workshops and mechanical workshops have everything you may expect equipment wise. The staff are always super helpful and will always do a good job at explaining how to use new equipment.
New Wharf is good for meeting new people, mainly as there's often house parties/people meeting on the path running along the halls. If you're a quieter person I would get a room on the upper few floors, where it should be a bit quieter.

It takes me 5 mins to leave my room and sit down in a lecture room, 5 mins to get to a big Tesco, 10 mins to get to the center of town and 15-20 mins to get to the Train Station. All in all DMU is situated really well within Leicester.

Some extra facilities on campus include a Spar shop, coffee shop, fish and chips shop, I think there's a burrito place, One Stop shop, SU shop for merchandise and stationary etc. plus some good places for food right on the edge of campus (Soar Point and Polar Bear). In my opinion everything is close enough to never need a bus, so I don't know the routes.

For "real facilities" I can only comment on the library and the technology building (Queens). The library is open 24/7 (I can't describe just how useful that is, especially when coursework deadlines approach :P). It has lots of computers and tables to work at, including quieter areas if you want to work in peace. You can print things there at a cost (students get £5 a year for free to print things with, but you're looking at 3p per black and white page and 15p per colour page, so that'll only last a term or two). In the library there's the Maths Learning Center (or something like that), which do drop in sessions every day along with a seminar every Tuesday - perfect if you need some one-on-one time with someone to help with any maths issues. Queens, where engineering is ran, is reallly well equipped. The electronics workshops and mechanical workshops have everything you may expect equipment wise. The staff are always super helpful and will always do a good job at explaining how to use new equipment.

How many people do you share with, if you don't mind me asking? And is it better than Bede? They're quite similar from what I've seen online! Need to definitely see it in person! My problem is I kinda want the best of both worlds, I want it to be lively so that I can meet people and party when I'm not working but also be able to focus when needed!

Ah, fair enough, it sounds like it's situated pretty well! I heard a lot of people say the accommodation is a bit of a trek from campus so that's put my mind at rest!

That's really good, thanks for that! So is the library 24/hrs all year around? I saw it at my interview and it looked amazing! The printer rate seems fair as well! Ah, okay, I assume you wouldn't know much about the Health and Life science department haha?
Original post by JordanC55
How many people do you share with, if you don't mind me asking? And is it better than Bede? They're quite similar from what I've seen online! Need to definitely see it in person! My problem is I kinda want the best of both worlds, I want it to be lively so that I can meet people and party when I'm not working but also be able to focus when needed!

Ah, fair enough, it sounds like it's situated pretty well! I heard a lot of people say the accommodation is a bit of a trek from campus so that's put my mind at rest!

That's really good, thanks for that! So is the library 24/hrs all year around? I saw it at my interview and it looked amazing! The printer rate seems fair as well! Ah, okay, I assume you wouldn't know much about the Health and Life science department haha?

I share a flat with 6 other guys.

Its very similar to Bede, identical facility wise.

Just google maps New Wharf Hall, you'll see that its just over the river from uni :P

From the September to now, I think the library has only been closed for 1-2weeks over Christmas - not bad :P

Most of my time in the main H&S building (Hawthorns) is spent trying to not get lost there >.< so yeah, don't know much else about it lol.
I share a flat with 6 other guys.

Its very similar to Bede, identical facility wise.

Just google maps New Wharf Hall, you'll see that its just over the river from uni :P

From the September to now, I think the library has only been closed for 1-2weeks over Christmas - not bad :P

Most of my time in the main H&S building (Hawthorns) is spent trying to not get lost there >.< so yeah, don't know much else about it lol.

Ah, you've been awesome! You've helped loads haha!
Have just booked my room at DMU. NW-B-04-04 is mine :biggrin: Anyone else got their rooms booked?
I've just booked my room- NW-A-02-07 :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Anyone booked their accommodation in New Wharf today?! I'm in NW-B-03-03!!
Not sure where everybody gets the code things from but booked today, Block B Second Floor, Room 8 so the 1st flat on that floor :smile:
Original post by sashstuart
Anyone booked their accommodation in New Wharf today?! I'm in NW-B-03-03!!

Ah you're on the floor directly below me. Is that the one with the nice balcony attached to the kitchen?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending