The Student Room Group

not wearing headscarf anymore

Scroll to see replies

Reply 160
salafi/wahhabi sect neeed to calm themselves down and research where ther scholars go upto.. its not sayyidna muhammad s.a.w...

its infact muhammad ibn abdul wahhab.. who came largely with his own ideas contrary to so many ahadith
Reply 161
I have never as a muslim had to wear a headscarf unless doing prayer etc, and I think its fine as long as you cover up, and stay modest (and not forget covering your neck)!

Would this answer solve the issue?

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20090705222544AASgcmD
Original post by Anonymous
yup wahabbis. they always like lecturing me :frown: but hate is part of no religeon

I was walking with a friend through Whitechapel and we got stopped on a street by this random guy who told me, "Tell the sister she is not wearing proper hijab," because she was wearing a headscarf and trousers which is wrong apparently. I wasn't sure whether to tell him it was none of his damn business what she wore, or to ask him why he was speaking to me instead of her, as if i was in charge of her or something. I ended up going with the second one, because I felt that assumption was even more outrageous than the comment about her attire.

Original post by shush
are you a Shia

No I'm a jew. And I'd be a lot more welcome at some of these isocs than a shia.
lol. cool. i know im weird that way.

You're not wierd...

i combine craziness from science to desgining uber cool stuff.

You're confident. Which is funny, because earlier on you were talking about how you're losing your confidence lately, lol...

erm they let me have guy friends over as they trust me, just because you are friends with guys doesnt mean your doing something wrong? and its not awkward, only when my mum comes in and embarasses me!

Sure, my mum would trust me with a million and one girls in my room, but the point is, if you can't tell them the reason behind it is due your beliefs, then you're not telling them the truth, so they'll be left confused= another problem! :rolleyes:

naah not bridal looks,but what to wear to weddings. my motto is awlays one scarf is never enough! and all jewellry can be worn on your head! somehow with tweaking

cool mottos.. I'm not gunna battle with you on hijabs haha, you win!

Omg this just hit me " shes putting down her hijab like an artist puts down his brush, like a writer puts down his pen..." lol don't ask
Original post by Ayshizzle
Haha science students ftw :smile:

And as long as they're nice clothes that's cool :smile:

I know their nice clothes when I get compliments from the girls around me hha, but ofcourse that isn't why i let my sisters choose my wardrobe...:rolleyes:
Lol at u, this is the problem with the 21st century. Everybody demands instant gratification. We want everything and we want it now. Instant everything. Instant gains, instant messages, email, fax, internet. Instant food, the faster the better. Instant education, job, wealth. Instant medical service, diagnosis, and an instant cure. Instant family. Instant travel. Instant information. Instant banking. Right or wrong, good or bad, we want it now. Do you think caveman had access to steroids? No they didnt, they had to hunt for their food. Nobody lights a fire these days. People don't even light ovens anymore. It takes just too long to heat up a meal. It takes just too much patience. I'm hungry now, not 40 minutes from now. That's why God gave us microwave ovens. Just pop the food in and whrrr –BEEP- out it comes, nicely warmed for immediate consumption. That's not how I view happiness. Patience is a virtue of the great and few possess it. All good things comes to those who wait when it comes down to exercising patience.
Original post by shush
hey, im guessing your a muslim
i used to be like wary one of girls who wore hijab or jilbab
this song changed my view

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZ6yKsuuMLo

and even by the waterloo rd storyline...how'd she end up
she became pregnant

i dont watch waterloo road - are you saying the hijab doubles as a contraceptive device?
Original post by 99luft Balons
Lol at u, this is the problem with the 21st century. Everybody demands instant gratification. We want everything and we want it now. Instant everything. Instant gains, instant messages, email, fax, internet. Instant food, the faster the better. Instant education, job, wealth. Instant medical service, diagnosis, and an instant cure. Instant family. Instant travel. Instant information. Instant banking. Right or wrong, good or bad, we want it now. Do you think caveman had access to steroids? No they didnt, they had to hunt for their food. Nobody lights a fire these days. People don't even light ovens anymore. It takes just too long to heat up a meal. It takes just too much patience. I'm hungry now, not 40 minutes from now. That's why God gave us microwave ovens. Just pop the food in and whrrr –BEEP- out it comes, nicely warmed for immediate consumption. That's not how I view happiness. Patience is a virtue of the great and few possess it. All good things comes to those who wait when it comes down to exercising patience.

So basically, you're implying that she should be patient? :smile:
Reply 168
People always go about this the wrong way.

Put your foot down and make it absolutely clear that you don't want this and your not living their lives.

Worst case scenario is you'll get disowned.
Original post by Ayesha.Tabassam95
Hahahaha. Lol. Are you being serious??
And why do you need a code to get into your mosque :confused:

Original post by Golden_Boy786

x

786 is the abjad count of the phrase "besmellahe rrahmaane rrahim"

Can't believe both of you are Muslims and didn't know.
(edited 12 years ago)
yup wahabbis. they always like lecturing me :frown: but hate is part of no religeon

I'm still confused as to why all of sudden you want to take your headscarf off?you say you're not religious anymore but still a Muslim?
Reply 171
Original post by Dwayne Hicks
You will be punished for your blind arrogance friend.

I may be punished, but not as much as the non-muslims or the people who leave thier faith
i currently wear a headscarf... however, I do not want to anymore as I do not feel it represents who i am any more.I am not religeous anymore and do not want to be attached to any religion.

so I want to stop wearing it, however, bit worried about reaction from family. as I know they`ll be like "its the right thing, you`ve always worn it"
however, I dont feel confident with it anymore- its not me, and now am old enough to know what I truly want, its not what I want.

im thinking I should just keep it on till september (start uni) then take it off, my parents wont be there so I wont have to explain to them? although they`d then realise and ask,why?

n I guess I would feel slightly guilty too. but its wrong to do something just because you feel you have to..

basically its a conversation am going to have to have...

so what should i do?

any suggestions would be appreciated :smile:

A couple of my close friends stopped wearing the hijab before uni. One is from a pretty strict background but her parents were still accepting. It might cause a bit of grief, but if your parents love you they will respect your decision.

The other took advantage of a family scandal so at that point the family had bigger issues to worry about...maybe you could pay a sibling to get a picture taken eating a hog roast while swigging vodka?? Then the headscarf wont seem like such a big deal! :P

I knew I just like to pretend I don't :colondollar:
Reply 174
do you guys ever sleep?

Original post by read_iqra
Are u the correct sunni which celebrate milaad ..(prophets s.a.w birthday) ?

i dont believe in "a correct form" but yes, we celebrate mawlid for approx 2-3 months of the year.

UGH Saudi are the worst type of hypocrite, they're best buds with all the moronic leaders of the West and as a result are aiding the killing of their own. Complete prats.

Sorry, rant over.

yup. i agree there. but iv always believed this as well, to protect the most special stuff we need the best and most brutal guards. hence arabs are the most "strictist." i think iv diverged off your point.

Original post by ice_man
Do you still believe in Islam as the truth? if yes, then what do you think of the countless clear cut verses regarding covering the head? (e.g. Quran 24:31).

The reason we are here is because we are being tested by Allah, I don't know what struggles you've gone through because of the hijab, but just remember that we are here to please Allah and none else. This life is short, but the hereafter is eternal and following God's guideline is the ultimate success. Do you have Muslim girl friends? If not, hang around with some, you'll be surprised by how much Muslims can relate to each other and enjoy each other's company.

i always thought this too. i believed life is a test, kind of the road-sufi path analogy. but now i even doubt that.
i dont have muslim friends, i hang around with non-muslims mainly.
i once did attempt a conversation with a muslim girl, she was one of those alima type who concluded im a bad girl who will abide in hell forever :eek:

Original post by harmony_01
Indeed.
And so are the West then. If they are so dangerous to the planet, then stop allying with them...this is what I really don't get. It seems love for oil takes over anything. Sort that greed out first and then complain about Muslims not doing anything about extremism.

completely off topic but some muslims are tackling extremism, im sure an anti-terrorism fatwa was launched last year at some camp.

Original post by AdvanceAndVanquish
I was walking with a friend through Whitechapel and we got stopped on a street by this random guy who told me, "Tell the sister she is not wearing proper hijab," because she was wearing a headscarf and trousers which is wrong apparently. I wasn't sure whether to tell him it was none of his damn business what she wore, or to ask him why he was speaking to me instead of her, as if i was in charge of her or something. I ended up going with the second one, because I felt that assumption was even more outrageous than the comment about her attire.

No I'm a jew. And I'd be a lot more welcome at some of these isocs than a shia.

ye i do get that too

leggings/red lipstick/clothing with eyes/jeans/ checked shirt/ shoes with eyes/ rings with moustaches. i get the typical "this is not islam sister, wear a jilbab, wear salwar kameez, you no muslim, youre a bad influence" just because you choose to look religeous doesnt mean you should look like a nun.

why the prejudice against shias? nothing wrong with being shia. P.S. im not shia.

Original post by SmallStudent
You're not wierd...

Sure, my mum would trust me with a million and one girls in my room, but the point is, if you can't tell them the reason behind it is due your beliefs, then you're not telling them the truth, so they'll be left confused= another problem! :rolleyes:

cool mottos.. I'm not gunna battle with you on hijabs haha, you win!

Omg this just hit me " shes putting down her hijab like an artist puts down his brush, like a writer puts down his pen..." lol don't ask

yup i agree with the last line. i just want to recide in sceintific bliss now!
reason behind what? oh religeous beliefs, i know, i do have to tell them, and theres no rush or anything but it needs to be said/discussed. scary :eek: especially since im the good child.

Original post by I-Am-A-Tripod
i dont watch waterloo road - are you saying the hijab doubles as a contraceptive device?

it doesnt.

Original post by Miryo
People always go about this the wrong way.

Put your foot down and make it absolutely clear that you don't want this and your not living their lives.

Worst case scenario is you'll get disowned.

they wouldnt disown me, its not like that. its just about taking time out, no strings attached and decididng who i am.
it would obviously upset them, and i guess in some ways i am "living their lives."

i mean i can talk to them bout "turning gay/ gender change/ becomming a prostitute even" but ironically i really dont feel comfortable saying i dont think im muslim...

I'm still confused as to why all of sudden you want to take your headscarf off?you say you're not religious anymore but still a Muslim?

theoretically you are either muslim or non-muslim. i dont think theres an inbetween thing.

i dont know what the hell i am??? i dont really think im muslim anymore, this has been going on for a few months now. iv managed to distance myself from religeous stuff (claimed busy with college) its just about losing an identity, that is not me anymore. as then i can start afresh and work out who i am. if that makes sense.
Reply 175
Original post by redferry
A couple of my close friends stopped wearing the hijab before uni. One is from a pretty strict background but her parents were still accepting. It might cause a bit of grief, but if your parents love you they will respect your decision.

The other took advantage of a family scandal so at that point the family had bigger issues to worry about...maybe you could pay a sibling to get a picture taken eating a hog roast while swigging vodka?? Then the headscarf wont seem like such a big deal! :P

true. lol eating a hog roast while swigging vodka! i dont drink lol. and religeon or no religeon it doesnt really appeal. plus i dont really see the point of a family scandal..

I knew I just like to pretend I don't :colondollar:

even i never knew that. i thought it was just some random number like the whole 666 thing.
You don't believe me?? I'm a muslim why would i lie.

Anyway true story, our mosque is near the city centre, so we make sure the doors are always kept locked, cos our ustad is an old man who literally lives there can't defend the Mosque against the chav's.:biggrin:

Plus, every muslim knows the codes gonna be 786, except from the Gorai of course. haha

Looool.
No, I believe your a muslim but I dont believe the numbers 786 mean anything... I just find it hilarious that you used the code from your mosque on here. Lol.
I thought it was the year that that Islam was founded in or something like that.
what? ive never been to my local mosque. only at funerals..

Sorry, I think I quoted you by accident.
And how can you never had been to the mosque?!! Unless they dont have a ladies bit in your mosque?

I have no clue what that means, no offence.
Reply 179
No it say dress modestly and cover your breasts. And presumably down below too. The hijaab is from the Hadith and Muslims who follow these like to try and be how the prophet (and his wives if you are female) were. It's also not obligatory for men to have a beard from the Qur'an either.

Read the wikipedia article if you'd like:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hijab

And you can read the verses translated in English on quran.com if you have any doubts.

I never really understood quranists it says in the quran to follow the prophet muhammed (pbuh) so in order to follow the quran you have to follow the messenger

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending