The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by PrismaticCore
Ok well these are the first ever grades you've had from AS modules, so it's bound to come down as a shock. There's always a chance to resit though, so don't just give up.
What were your GCSEs like? Because they do play a part in your application.
What about your extra curriculars? Work Experience/Volunteering?

You see, when it comes to applying for medicine, sure the grades are a big factor, but the other stuff (like what I've mentioned above) are just as important.

And if medicine doesn't work out, you can take another route via post-graduate?

Thanks :smile: and I got 15 GCSE's (11 A's and 4 B's) , I also did AS critical thinking and got a D. I have done the Bronze and Silver Duke of Edinburgh's Award, I'm hoping to do the Gold. I do martial arts (I'm a 3rd Dan) and I have done volunteer work through this. I also work in an opticians. I have been told this will help, but without the grades I still wont be able to do it.
Reply 21
Original post by Ilyas
gonna get negged for this, but sometimes you just have to drop the dream. Maybe aim for anew target, pharmacy?

I have been looking at this, its a reasonable thing to suggest. There's a lot of competition and if I cant do it, then I need to look at something else :smile: thanks
Reply 22
Original post by Rob da Mop
As some people have said, as the moment it looks like you're not going to get in. That said, if you have been revising that much and got D-Us then you're doing something wrong in your revision. How have you been revising? What sort of marks were you getting in past papers? If you can find a reason why you got such low marks and fix it then, with resits, you might be able to get a place.

I was getting B's and C's in past papers, so my results were a big shock. I've been seeing my teacher once a week on how to cope with exam stress, as he thinks that's what has caused it :frown:
Reply 23
Original post by Sarah2707
I was getting B's and C's in past papers, so my results were a big shock. I've been seeing my teacher once a week on how to cope with exam stress, as he thinks that's what has caused it :frown:

the same reason why i did so bad in exams:frown:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 24
Original post by Sarah2707

Exam stress gets me as well. I can know all about the topic under normal circumstances, but with that added pressure, my brain turns to mush. You need to learn how to relax and make sure you know the syllabus as much as possible.
Hi, I know some people may tell you to give up now, and they may be right because medicine is a really competitive course, and it only gets even more competitive with each year.
That said, there are so many courses that offer a chance for people who may not have the best grades access into medicine, so you really should consider the Acess to Medicine courses that some people on here have suggested.
I applied to Southampton's BM6 course, and I got in, and I'll hopefully get the grades this summer and be this September. I didn't have the best UKCAT score, but there are so many other factors that go into it, including work experience and your personal statement. The BM6 was a good option because the UKCAT doesn't play a part in the selection panel, so there's always that option! If you haven't done your UKCAT yet I'd advice you to revise really hard for that and just keep up with the revising, it'll be worth it in the end!
Lower your expectations. If you can't hack A-levels you won't be able to do medicine (that's if you get in, which you won't without competitive grades and predictions).
Reply 27
A-levels are easy. If you're getting D's and E's and you don't know why, you shouldn't be on TSR, you should be booking a 1-to-1 with your year tutor. Seriously, that will help you. Asking silly questions on here won't.....
Reply 28
I love the fact that most of the people telling the OP to give up give their precious advice from the dizzying heights of a few GCSEs. Pfft. **** the lot of them.
Reply 29
Do all you can to turn your grades around in summer, but in all honesty if you cant get them to at least a few A's, then consider some other healthcare profession such as nursing or physiotherapy.
Your best bet is to apply for bio medicine - there are quite a few unis where if you do well you can then transfer to medicine at the end of first year. The entry criteria are much lower and you won't have the pressure on you or the competitiveness to get into medicine - but you will still have the option to move across courses if you do well.

The step from GCSE to A levels is huge and I think the majority find it a huge shock. Just regroup now, consider your resits and move forward. It is good to have ambition and sometimes we have to move our goalposts.
Original post by squeakysquirrel
Your best bet is to apply for bio medicine - there are quite a few unis where if you do well you can then transfer to medicine at the end of first year. The entry criteria are much lower and you won't have the pressure on you or the competitiveness to get into medicine - but you will still have the option to move across courses if you do well.

This is the worst possible advice you could give since it's all incorrect.

The entry requirements might be lower, but it's still a degree so it's tougher to do well in than A levels, and it's also longer. Furthermore, which universities offer transfers? :confused: Last I checked it was just SGUL and Newcastle, and then you had to be near the top of the class, i.e. not an easy thing to do. Graduate entry programmes are infinitely more competitive and difficult to get into than the A100 degrees.
What are your reasons for wanting to become a doctor?
Reply 33
Mh, I think when you start thinking about your future, it'd be an idea to take into account what you're naturally good at. As a client, I wouldn't want to be under the knife of a clumsy surgeon, just like I wouldn't order a painting from someone who obviously had no affinity for painting. Not to sound pessimistic, but you do have to be realistic.

Maybe you're a natural born photographer, or a linguist. You could resit, but I'm sure you have your own talents. You got mostly As in your GCSEs, surely there was one subject you really liked and found you learned faster in than the others..?
Reply 34
You can always retake, even after you've completed your Alevels you can retake to push up your overall grades. My cousin got something like BCC and then turned it in to AAB, so retaking is always an option. Although, if you did work hard for them and it wasn't just down to laziness then I'm not sure how much better you will do if you did retake. Even though you really want to be a doctor, you could always choose nursing, instead? Not as competitive and less stress for you. Okay, so the money wont be as good but if it's your goal to help people, then I'd consider it. :smile:
I think you really need to think over if you want to be a doctor, but if you're already thinking about giving up then maybe you shouldn't be one, because medicine is about motivation, and if you don't have that then it's going to be really hard for you to do a course that will take away 5-6 years of your life + everything else that comes with doing a university level degree.
Like I said, there's other ways into medicine, graduate-entry is so much more competitive (about 19 people applying per place, and as the years go on even more) so your best bet would be taking on another science-related course (if it's really what you want to do) or a foundation programme that's normally an extra year + has lower grade requirements (East Anglia, Southampton and Nottingham offer them).
First of all I would say if you are extremely determined and set on becoming a doctor, ignore the advice about giving up your dream. I know from personal experience it puts you on a bit of a downer when people tell you "its time to maybe give up your dream" but just stride past that and prove them you can do it.

Regardless of what people say A's at a level are not the be all and end all in a mission to become a doctor. Yes they help you alot and make your journey so much easier. And before I get negged, fair play to anyone who can get A's a level. I really wish I did but just wasn't to be. However, try to do YOUR best. Yes this means pushing yourself to the point you just want to scream! What worked for me was little bursts and helped my stress. I start slightly early on but just did little chunks so I knew I was doing something efficient but didn't become stressed because I knew I didn't have to rush as I had plenty of time. I wish I could tell you a specific technique which would work, but I can't. Everyone is so different and have different ways of learning and retaining information, just like your journey to medicine will be different from others. However, what worked for me was re-writing notes several times and going overboard with highlighters. This may seem stupid to others but it works for me. So yeah find a technique which you are comfortable with.

I'd recommend looking into the 6 year medicine courses at Cardiff, Dundee, Keele, UEA, Southampton, Bristol, Sheffield and Nottingham. Some of these however have high grade requirements so look at them and select the most realistic choices. Only you know what is achievable. These courses provide a foundation in the science aspect of the medical course in the first year then you go on to the 5 year medical degree. Although these are hugely competitive!

Also look into 1 year courses which may lead you to medicine. I'd suggest Clinical Sciences/Medicine Foundation at Bradford in which up to 20 people can go on to do medicine at Leeds and Pre-medical Studies at Lancaster University in which you have a guaranteed interview at either Lancaster or Liverpool. Look at the Access to Medicine COWA course at King's Lynn. Although you have to be a mature student therefore 19 at the beginning of the course. My birthday is in the summer so I applied here as I just turned 19 before September. I got an offer so they don't disregard anyone who has just completed a levels. I was asked why I was going the access route and I explained that I was determined but my grades were not competitive enough. I was lucky enough to get another offer elsewhere so didn't take this but it was great for a last resort.

I don't know if any of this is any help but don't be disheartened. If you are determined and put the work in you will succeed. Of course you will have a huge struggle because you have to prove you are worth the risk not having the grades but wanting to do medicine. Anyway good luck in your journey :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 37
Oh God - love the non-medics crowding to tell the OP how difficult and impssible a medical degree is...wtf?
Reply 38
Original post by Wangers
Oh God - love the non-medics crowding to tell the OP how difficult and impssible a medical degree is...wtf?

PRSOM :rofl:
Original post by I-Am-A-Tripod
Be a dentist.

Braces for all the dental student negs

Well seeing as the entry requirements are the same as medicine theyd struggle

Latest

Trending

Trending