The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

Bankside Hall feedback

I went to visit Bankside Hall the other day, the rooms were nice and it was very big compared to the other halls i visited (HH, CS, Roseberry). However, online I can't find much information about this hall. Is it very sociable? Do they organize good events? etc...
I would appreciate any feedback!
Reply 1
Original post by Jsalgado
I went to visit Bankside Hall the other day, the rooms were nice and it was very big compared to the other halls i visited (HH, CS, Roseberry). However, online I can't find much information about this hall. Is it very sociable? Do they organize good events? etc...

it is sociable since it is the largest of the LSE halls and has a large undergraduate population and yes they have events organised by their committee
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Reply 2
Original post by Jsalgado

Possibly my 1st choice! Everything looked very nice and the restaurant hall looks big and sociable! I do not really loved the area ti be honest and I am quite concerned with the walking twice a day. However they told me that a bus is available. Really disappointed with HH. Considering the price, the rooms looked like ratholes and the toilets were taken out of an airplane!
Reply 3
Regarding the large undergraduate population; does that imply it's not really suitable for postgraduates? I myself am going to be one of the latter, and picked Bankside as my first choice..

Edit: apart from the location, I remember applying for Bankside due to the above-average size of the rooms, the social factor, plus the fact that they allow you to have a fridge in your own room (things like that do it for me).
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 4
On the website though it says first years should expect to share a room.. wondering if this is really the case..?
Reply 5
I am thinking of putting bankside as my 1st choice, but read somewhere that barely any of the rooms have access to a kitchen? Whereas somewhere else says there are 'snack points' on each floor, so I wondered what the situation was?
Reply 6
Original post by 21Grapes
On the website though it says first years should expect to share a room.. wondering if this is really the case..?

Are you sure it says this for Bankside? If so, can you link me please?
Reply 7
Having lived at 2 halls including Bankside, I'd say Bankside offers the best undergrad experience out of any other hall. I'd strongly recommend it to you all.

It's really nice having a bar + TV room + games room + arcade room + a restaurant (large groups of people go down to dinner together so it's a really nice atmosphere and easy to make friends). The downside is of course walking over the bridge when it's freezing cold, but it's also one of the nicest parts when it's the summer. If you do a course like EC102 Economics B, then it's really awesome having like 50 people walk to lectures together + everyone working together on problem sets throughout the year.

There are also decent facilities (shops, tubes, restaurants) around you - there's some annoying construction work going on though (may have finished now, not sure) which can be quite distracting in certain rooms.

Most people do not have shared rooms, no.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by Swayum
Having lived at 2 halls including Bankside, I'd say Bankside offers the best undergrad experience out of any other hall. I'd strongly recommend it to you all.

It's really nice having a bar + TV room + games room + arcade room + a restaurant (large groups of people go down to dinner together so it's a really nice atmosphere and easy to make friends). The downside is of course walking over the bridge when it's freezing cold, but it's also one of the nicest parts when it's the summer. If you do a course like EC102 Economics B, then it's really awesome having like 50 people walk to lectures together + everyone working together on problem sets throughout the year.

There are also decent facilities (shops, tubes, restaurants) around you - there's some annoying construction work going on though (may have finished now, not sure) which can be quite distracting in certain rooms.

Ohh thanks for the comment :biggrin: Very reassuring especially since i've just put BS as my first choice :smile:
Reply 9

Original post by 21Grapes
Ohh thanks for the comment :biggrin: Very reassuring especially since i've just put BS as my first choice :smile:

Put bankside as my first choice too. Really worried that i will get HH which i put as second choice
Reply 10
Original post by Asian7

Put bankside as my first choice too. Really worried that i will get HH which i put as second choice

Why are you worried with HH and if you are worried then why did you put it as your 2nd choice? I am not absolutely sure but on the visit day they said that approximately 80% gets into their first choice.
Reply 11
Original post by Koro
Why are you worried with HH and if you are worried then why did you put it as your 2nd choice? I am not absolutely sure but on the visit day they said that approximately 80% gets into their first choice.

There is quite limited choices. I would like a single room if possible and HH offers that despite it's in a flat layout. Others like Northumberland, Passfield specify that first year must share and that leaves CS and Rosebury ( where they have more single rooms to offer) to choose from. I thought HH looks ok on the web, but someone was commenting how bad the rooms are and old and so that got me worried a bit after I submitted my choices. Oh well, we'll know soon
Original post by Swayum

What was the other hall you were in? How was it in comparison, if you don't mind me asking?
Reply 13
Original post by Asian7
There is quite limited choices. I would like a single room if possible and HH offers that despite it's in a flat layout. Others like Northumberland, Passfield specify that first year must share and that leaves CS and Rosebury ( where they have more single rooms to offer) to choose from. I thought HH looks ok on the web, but someone was commenting how bad the rooms are and old and so that got me worried a bit after I submitted my choices. Oh well, we'll know soon

the rooms at high holborn are basically the same as the rooms at rosebery and carr saunders.. but i think they are refurbishing rooms at HH... i think?!
Reply 14
Original post by Perseverance
What was the other hall you were in? How was it in comparison, if you don't mind me asking?

Northumberland. Not enough undergrads, common room was never used, no bar, no games room, no restaurant, mice problem, smaller rooms + bathrooms compared with Bankside, had to share a room (but on the plus side you get a kitchen + fridge + better location).
Reply 15
Original post by Swayum

I'm now glad to have bankside. My only issue is that its 40 weeks when I wanted 31 weeks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending