The Student Room Group

Tobacco displays to be banned in the UK

Scroll to see replies

I am so annoyed about this! We can't even see the prices any more - how am I suppose to know where the cheapest place to buy them is without asking at every place? It seems completely unfair. And it's not even going to work. This is just a method to make it look like they're doing something about smoking when all it's doing is inconveniencing us. No-one starts smoking because they like the pretty packaging. You would think chucking us outside, charging us extortionate prices and forcing us to look at diseased body parts was enough, but apparently we need to be punished even more!
Original post by L i b
Which is rubbish.

Care to elaborate on what else?
Original post by TheSownRose
But why give tobacco products a particularly hard time? Plenty of people are trying to stop drinking alcohol ... but alcoholic products aren't consigned to 'the secret shelves', are they?
Welcome to life as 3rd class citizens.
for everyone who is feeling frustrated about not being able to "browse" or "see which is cheapest" - part of the legislation enforces the retailer to have a price list within reach, as they aren't actually allowed to open the doors until the customer has asked to purchase the cigarettes.

I laughed out loud when re-doing my training for the cigarette kiosk - did you know, for instance, that if a single cashier opens two doors at once they can face either a £5000 fine, a criminal conviction or even imprisonment? :P

*edit* after researching in a bored 5 mins, the cashiers can display a single packet after a request from a customer that they have taken all reasonable steps to ensure they're over 18.
(edited 12 years ago)
:sigh:
Reply 65
Let people smoke if they want.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending