xXxnoora95xXx
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
HI
I have a question I don't know how to answer the question says:

Sometimes, people injured in an accident such as a car crash suffer from a pneumothorax. This is an injury where the chest wall is punctured, allowing air to enter the pleural cavity. A patient was brought to casualty department of a hospital suffering from a pneumothorax on the left side of his chest. His left lung as collapsed but he was able to breathe normally with his right lung.

a) Explain why a pneumothorax caused the left lung to collapse

b) Explain why the right lung was not affected

c) If a patient's lung is injured or infected, a surgeon can sometimes rest it by performing an operation called an artificial pneumothorax. what do you think might be involved in this operation?

Thank you
Renal
Badges: 17
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by xXxnoora95xXx)
HI

Sometimes, people injured in an accident such as a car crash suffer from a pneumothorax. This is an injury where the chest wall is punctured, allowing air to enter the pleural cavity. A patient was brought to casualty department of a hospital suffering from a pneumothorax on the left side of his chest. His left lung as collapsed but he was able to breathe normally with his right lung.

Think about the pressure changes within the chest cavity when you breathe, now think of what happens when there is an easier way for air to be drawn into the chest cavity. http://www.vgate.net.au/SOB/pneumothorax_open.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mediastinum

c) If a patient's lung is injured or infected, a surgeon can sometimes rest it by performing an operation called an artificial pneumothorax. what do you think might be involved in this operation?
Time travel to the 1940s.
purplefrog
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 9 years ago
I thought it was to do with the fact that there are two separate visceral and parietal pleura - one set for each lung. So if one of the pleural pairs is punctured, the other one still stays intact?
Turkishee
Badges: 8
Rep:
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by purplefrog)
I thought it was to do with the fact that there are two separate visceral and parietal pleura - one set for each lung. So if one of the pleural pairs is punctured, the other one still stays intact?
Is it. Not sure what the guy above is talking about.
forntie gamurr
Badges: 5
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
the fortnite funnai is with u
Jpw1097
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
HI

Thank you
(a) The chest wall and visceral pleura are usually held together by the slightly negative intrapleural pressure which is due to the pleural fluid. When air enters the pleural cavity, the negative intrapleural pressure is lost and the chest wall and lung separate. Since there is nothing pulling the lung, it collapses.

(b) The right and left lungs have their own pleural cavity so changes in one do not affect the other.

(c) An intentional pneumothorax is not something that is done nowadays. It used to be done to ‘rest the lung’ to treat TB. I’m not sure how this would be achieved, but creating a hole either in the chest wall or the lungs would create a pneumothorax.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (37)
9.89%
Okay (109)
29.14%
A bit lacking (139)
37.17%
Not good at all (89)
23.8%

Watched Threads