Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

Quantum mechanics - Momentum space wave function Watch

ReputationRep:
    I am asked to find the action of the X operator on the momentum space wave function (see attatchment). I know that the X operator simply multiplies by x, but do I take the x inside the integral, and if so, how?

Thanks
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samueltaylor123)
    I am asked to find the action of the X operator on the momentum space wave function (see attatchment). I know that the X operator simply multiplies by x, but do I take the x inside the integral, and if so, how?

Thanks
    Do you know what the momentum space representation of the x operator is?

ReputationRep:
    Err, no. I did a similar question with the momentum operator P, in which I just set P acting on the MSWF and manipulated until I got an answer. I thought it was similar?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by suneilr)
    Do you know what the momentum space representation of the x operator is?
    Help?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samueltaylor123)
    Help?
    In the position representation, the eigenstates of the position operator correspond to a definite position x, and so we can say the position operator is simply \hat{x} = x . By the same logic, if we are working in the momentum representation the momentum operator is given by  \hat{p} = p. The commutation relation between x and p is taken as representation independent, and this lead to the position operator in the momentum space representation as being  \hat{x}=i\hbar\frac{d}{dp}

Poll
Is GoT overrated?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.