The Student Room Group

Leicester, Newcastle or Aberdeen for Medicine?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by victoryshinesonus
I would say Newcastle for the social life, but I doubt you'll be on the club scene if you're doing medicine, sounds intensive.

Oh how wrong you are.
Original post by hoonosewot
Oh how wrong you are.

I've heard it has among the biggest workloads, alongside engineering, compsci and law :confused:
I've heard it has among the biggest workloads, alongside engineering, compsci and law :confused:

Work hard and play hard.

Yeh there's a lot of lectures but that doesn't stop most medics going out 2 or 3 times a week. You have to scale it down when coursework is due or exams are coming up, but that's the same for all courses. The only real difference in the first 2 years is that you don't get as many mornings or afternoons off as your counterparts.

I'd say in the first two years i went out most Wednesdays and Fridays as well as other odd nights here and there. I wasn't an exception either. Fridays in Newcastle they do Medsoc which is an open bar for all members, so you'll frequently find a couple of hundred medics crammed into the union/hancock getting blazed.

3rd year you do tone it down a lot because you're more tired and can't really afford to be hungover in the hospital environment (well, not too often anyway). 4th year it opens up again though, especially the first semester.

You don't really need to sacrifice social life to be a medic, you've just gotta balance things a bit better than most. A lot of applicants on here have overblown ideas of how hard medicine is, it's not really that much different to most degrees in pre-clinical years.
Reply 23
Original post by hoonosewot
Work hard and play hard.

Yeh there's a lot of lectures but that doesn't stop most medics going out 2 or 3 times a week. You have to scale it down when coursework is due or exams are coming up, but that's the same for all courses. The only real difference in the first 2 years is that you don't get as many mornings or afternoons off as your counterparts.

I'd say in the first two years i went out most Wednesdays and Fridays as well as other odd nights here and there. I wasn't an exception either. Fridays in Newcastle they do Medsoc which is an open bar for all members, so you'll frequently find a couple of hundred medics crammed into the union/hancock getting blazed.

3rd year you do tone it down a lot because you're more tired and can't really afford to be hungover in the hospital environment (well, not too often anyway). 4th year it opens up again though, especially the first semester.

You don't really need to sacrifice social life to be a medic, you've just gotta balance things a bit better than most. A lot of applicants on here have overblown ideas of how hard medicine is, it's not really that much different to most degrees in pre-clinical years.

I was going to quote you for your response when i saw the comment on not going out due to studying medicine... turns out you responded anyway :wink:

What you've said excites me no end, cannot wait for Newcastle now :biggrin:
Original post by mel608
I was going to quote you for your response when i saw the comment on not going out due to studying medicine... turns out you responded anyway :wink:

What you've said excites me no end, cannot wait for Newcastle now :biggrin:

:smile: Tbh it's the one I would've picked, it's a nice city with plenty going on, and is relatively compact, so you won't feel lost. I got an offer for History there, but decided on Manchester instead, didn't get that 'feel' when I visited, and Mancs was two hours away, Ncl was a further 2 hours away after that :redface: and the cold winters (even though NW will be cold also) put me off slightly, you're going to have a smashing time! Good luck with everything :smile: Dr. :biggrin:
:smile: Tbh it's the one I would've picked, it's a nice city with plenty going on, and is relatively compact, so you won't feel lost. I got an offer for History there, but decided on Manchester instead, didn't get that 'feel' when I visited, and Mancs was two hours away, Ncl was a further 2 hours away after that :redface: and the cold winters (even though NW will be cold also) put me off slightly, you're going to have a smashing time! Good luck with everything :smile: Dr. :biggrin:

I agree, i've always thought that was really valuable asset in a city, the ability to be able to get basically anywhere on foot. In first year you'll rarely have need for public transport (unless you get put in Henderson Hall), and on the occasions you do there's an excellent metro system. Plus taxis in Toon are super cheap, certainly cheaper than they are when i'm back in Leicester anyway.

As for the cold, there's no denying that haha. When it gets cold up here it gets properly cold, but at least it doesn't rain like Manchester! Newcastle's one of the dryest cities in the UK bizarrely, something to do with the Pennines apparently. It occasionally gets warm enough for a trip to Tynemouth beach at least.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending