Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2776)
    Got a rough figure at hand?
    PRHOs earn in a range between £24K and £26K, where registrars are on about £35k - £40K depending on on-call commitments etc.
    I'm now desperately trying to write a 3000-word ethics essay on the marketing of human kidneys due in tomorrow

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2776)
    If so, then be a nurse. You would be more helpful to patients.
    You don't undrstand me.

What I mean is, there are other reasons for you wanting to be a doctor, right? Surely it can't just be money....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by piginapoke)
    I haven't saved any, I'm commenting on the poor financial lot of doctors!

There's big money in lots of fields. I was earning £75 per hour at one point. I didn't deserve it, mind.
    There's plenty of opportunity to earn big money in medicine if you really want it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by timeofyourlife)
    I'm now desperately trying to write a 3000-word ethics essay on the marketing of human kidneys due in tomorrow
    Close the internet, immediatedly. And godspeed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bono)
    You don't undrstand me.

What I mean is, there are other reasons for you wanting to be a doctor, right? Surely it can't just be money....
    Money should be one of the last reasons for something wanting to go into medicine. There are far easier ways to earn a fortune.

ReputationRep:
    Money should be one of the last reasons for something wanting to go into medicine. There are far easier ways to earn a fortune.
    That was my point, if money was your only reason or even the main reason, then going into medicine isn't for you.

Helping people or having a passion for medicine should be the main thing - even more so with medicine as 100% commitment is needed.

There are "easier" ways to earn a fortune, although earning good pay, which applies to most doctors, is obviously nice and fairly important.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2776)
    If so, then be a nurse. You would be more helpful to patients.

<--- Wants to be doc.
    Doesn't care if starting salary is about 5k less than a bloke 2 years younger in a finance world or whatever.

It's helping folks, with the knowledge that I'm using science to do it, and the fact that it ain't that boring, tons of stuff!!!!

The money is just extra icing on the cake [if money was the only thing, stockbroker, management consultant etc. HERE I COME :P :P ].... though I do think Junior Docs need more cash....

I'm just scared when folks say the pay is shite, cos I think hmm, will I be able to survive on a PrHo / SHO salary, after having 1 or 2 years extra debt?
    That is why I'm concerned... will I be able to pay off me debts, get a mortgage etc. etc.
    Hopefully in the next 5 years junior docs may just get an extra £1k or so....
    [Cos I'm also intending to do an intercalated degree hence a 6 year degree course....]

Chaps, dun go into medicine JUST for the money... i.e. not the SOLE factor...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bono)
    That was my point, if money was your only reason or even the main reason, then going into medicine isn't for you.

Helping people or having a passion for medicine should be the main thing - even more so with medicine as 100% commitment is needed.

There are "easier" ways to earn a fortune, although earning good pay, which applies to most doctors, is obviously nice and fairly important.
    I agree.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bono)
    You don't undrstand me.

No, but it adds to teh overall satisfaction.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Buzfvar)
    <--- Wants to be doc.
    Doesn't care if starting salary is about 5k less than a bloke 2 years younger in a finance world or whatever.

It's helping folks, with the knowledge that I'm using science to do it, and the fact that it ain't that boring, tons of stuff!!!!

The money is just extra icing on the cake [if money was the only thing, stockbroker, management consultant etc. HERE I COME :P :P ].... though I do think Junior Docs need more cash....

I'm just scared when folks say the pay is shite, cos I think hmm, will I be able to survive on a PrHo / SHO salary, after having 1 or 2 years extra debt?
    That is why I'm concerned... will I be able to pay off me debts, get a mortgage etc. etc.
    Hopefully in the next 5 years junior docs may just get an extra £1k or so....
    [Cos I'm also intending to do an intercalated degree hence a 6 year degree course....]

Chaps, dun go into medicine JUST for the money... i.e. not the SOLE factor...
    Most house officers will tell you that they can easily pay off their debts within the first two years as they're in the hospital so much that they don't have time to spend the £50K+ they've accumulated over the first two years (tax deducted).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2776)
    No, but it adds to teh overall satisfaction.
    Ok, fair enough then, but primarily you shouldn't really be thinking about money at this stage when wanting to do a medicine degree 2776.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bono)
    Ok, fair enough then, but primarily you shouldn't really be thinking about money at this stage when wanting to do a medicine degree 2776.
    How do you know what I am thinking bono? Are you sure that I am thinking about money? I can make good money from becoming an actuary. The best paid job in the world. I have the current framework to become one.

I choose to become a doctor, due to various reasons.

Money comes near to the bottom of the list.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2776)
    How do you know what I am thinking bono? Are you sure that I am thinking about money? I can make good money from becoming an actuary. The best paid job in the world. I have the current framework to become one.

I choose to become a doctor, due to various reasons.

Money comes near to the bottom of the list.
    I wanted to be an actuary in year 10, how sad is that? Then it changed to a lawyer for year 11!

ReputationRep:
    I wanted to be an actuary in year 10, how sad is that? Then it changed to a lawyer for year 11!
    An actuary is the most boring job ever, but the best paid. A lawyer is just too unstable for a job, you only earn real money when you get a good degree, and in London. Or doing private job.

Get on with that kidney work. Stop procrastinating.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2776)
    An actuary is the most boring job ever, but the best paid. A lawyer is just too unstable for a job, you only earn real money when you get a good degree, and in London. Or doing private job.

Get on with that kidney work. Stop procrastinating.

I must be getting tired. I've even got to the stage where I'm referencing The Guardian!!
    "This may be countered in an argument by saying that it is also an option for economic improvement, but a society that closes off economic opportunity to such an extent that people would resort to selling body parts is already one rife with social inequalities. (‘Doctors debate paid organ donors’ – The Guardian)."
    I hate ethics and all that it stands for

ReputationRep:
    Most house officers will tell you that they can easily pay off their debts within the first two years as they're in the hospital so much that they don't have time to spend the £50K+ they've accumulated over the first two years (tax deducted).
    Errr, nah, doctor's hours are been reduced, soon it'll just be a 8-6pm job in 2009!!!

ReputationRep:
    PRHOs earn in a range between £24K and £26K, where registrars are on about £35k - £40K depending on on-call commitments etc.
    hey that was a BMAT question...although in BMAT you just had one page to fill.....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Buzfvar)
    Errr, nah, doctor's hours are been reduced, soon it'll just be a 8-6pm job in 2009!!!
    Wait a mo, the consultant that I was talking to mentioned something about an EU directive, about 16 hours on and 16 hours off.

ReputationRep:
    I must be getting tired. I've even got to the stage where I'm referencing The Guardian!!
    "This may be countered in an argument by saying that it is also an option for economic improvement, but a society that closes off economic opportunity to such an extent that people would resort to selling body parts is already one rife with social inequalities. (‘Doctors debate paid organ donors’ – The Guardian)."
    I hate ethics and all that it stands for
    Doctors selling organs on the sly? Without any permissions, and doing it without the hospital knowing? Greed, if you ask me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by icarusgideon)
    hey that was a BMAT question...although in BMAT you just had one page to fill.....
    If I could shove autonomy up certain aspects of my tutor's anatomy, I would.

Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.